I may want to buy a camera

2 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Tamron AF 18-270 F3.5-6.3Di-II
Nikon AF-S Nikkor DX 35mm f/1.8G

or

Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.2  VR II
Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6 (VR)

Tough choice, and the only lens that I've actually owned and used out of these four is the 35 f/1.8 which is a fantastic lens for a cropped camera.  I'd probably get the Tamron + 35mm option, but this is my preference.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

14 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Tough choice, and the only lens that I've actually owned and used out of these four is the 35 f/1.8 which is a fantastic lens for a cropped camera.  I'd probably get the Tamron + 35mm option, but this is my preference.

Ok, if I do take one of them, and one isnt lying about that the camera isnt used that much. I will probably take the one with 35mm

because it does has D5100 isntead of D5200 but, it has a camera bag, one exstra battery, a blitz and the seller ask for less.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Doesnt PhotoME show the shutter count?

Canon cameras do not write the shutter count into the image's exif.

5 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Canon cameras do not write the shutter count into the image's exif.

But Nikon cameras do? ok. 

So I can use like a program like that on Nikon cameras

but on Canon cameras I just have to trust the seller?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

One thing I noticed, it says that on d5200 30 fps is just on NTSC and its 25 FPS on PAL.

So if I get one, I can only use 25 FPS?

This seems not to be the case on Canon cameras?

-Stephen Hawking

11 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

But Nikon cameras do? ok. 

So I can use like a program like that on Nikon cameras

but on Canon cameras I just have to trust the seller?

Only the canon service and magic lantern can read the count.

Nikon writes the count into the exif

3 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

One thing I noticed, it says that on d5200 30 fps is just on NTSC and its 25 FPS on PAL.

This seems not to be the case on Canon cameras?

No NTSC and PAL are ancient and the manufactures are just using the terms wrong. 

Both cameras record in 30p

2 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Only the canon service and magic lantern can read the count.

Nikon writes the count into the exif

No NTSC and PAL are ancient and the manufactures are just using the terms wrong. 

Both cameras record in 30p

what I didnt mean if you use that types of file, I ment if you are in a country that did have that standard.

in one forum I found, someone said that they had to set the camera to NTSC (not the file, but a mode) is that a just normal setting it is easy to change?

-Stephen Hawking

5 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

what I didnt mean if you use that types of file, I ment if you are in a country that did have that standard.

in one forum I found, someone said that they had to set the camera to NTSC (not the file, but a mode) is that a just normal setting it is easy to change?

It doesn't change anything there are just other frame rates selectable. 

And yes you can change the setting easily 

32 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Cameras either come with something called "Flicker reduction 50hz/60hz" or "Region NTSC/PAL" mode in the menu.  DSLR's are not "region locked" so that if you buy a camera in the US you only get NTSC or in Europe you only get PAL.  There are some cameras like that, but not usually with DSLRs.  Of course, in some cameras if you have set it to NTSC or 60hz mode you can only select certain frame rates and accessing others require changing to PAL or 50hz in the menu.

Though you still want to make sure you select the frame rate or at least the flicker reduction frequency appropriately.  Otherwise you can have "not so easy to remove" flickering of lights in your video.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Cameras either come with something called "Flicker reduction 50hz/60hz" or "Region NTSC/PAL" mode in the menu.  DSLR's are not "region locked" so that if you buy a camera in the US you only get NTSC or in Europe you only get PAL.  There are some cameras like that, but not usually with DSLRs.  Of course, in some cameras if you have set it to NTSC or 60hz mode you can only select certain frame rates and accessing others require changing to PAL or 50hz in the menu.

Though you still want to make sure you select the frame rate or at least the flicker reduction frequency appropriately.  Otherwise you can have "not so easy to remove" flickering of lights in your video.

Oh :( why cant lights be 60 hz and not 50 :( 

-Stephen Hawking

11 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Ask your government that question.

Usually with lower frame rates you can adjust the shutter speed vs recording frame rate to minimize the effect of lights flickering.  Such as filming using 25p but with a shutter speed that is something other than 1/25 (360 degree rule) or 1/50 (180 degree rule) in a 60hz region.  But if you are shooting high frame rate video, say slowmotion with 100fps or more, flickering will most likely be in the video regardless of shutter speed/angle you choose.

Anyway don't worry too much about high frame rate video because DSLRs in your budget do not record with frame rates higher than 60fps.

Though keep in mind when you are filming, changing shutter speed relative to recording frame rate can alter the look and feel of your video.  If you are creating, even if it's just a short project, if you film one scene using the 180 degree rule and another using a different rule (unless it is intentional) it might not look right when you start putting the scenes together for the final product.  Same thing when using various frame rates.

3 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I think I can give you a reasonable answer to this: economics. 

First, Edison and Tesla competed whether using DC and AC current was better.  Then different parts of the world or the people/industries in charge of implementing solutions for their nations (e.g. a nation wide power grid) used different standards.  Until it finally evolved into the two we use today, 50hz and 60hz.  The industrial revolution period and up to the early 20th Century was a time when various people and forerunners of some corporate giants competed to establish their "format" as the standard.  And countries competed, want to make the format developed by their countryman or at least in their country, the standard that should be adopted.

London during WWI period used like 10 different frequencies.  Japan for example is a country today where roughly half uses 60hz and the other uses 50hz.

Now that the world is using only two standards, 50hz and 60hz, would it be better for the entire world to convert to one or the other?  Ideally in a perfect world, the answer is YES.  Even in an imperfect world the answer would still be YES.  But it takes time and money, lots of money, for governments, private industries, and even private citizens who own electronic devices which cannot be converted to switch as it's not just a matter of installing new software or switching out a chip.  When Digital TV became more prevalent in the 1990s, when countries started converting from analog to digital in mass, people who owned old analog TVs were having to dispose of them and this produced a lot of waste.

As to the issue flickering, another thing I want to say is that there are flicker free lights available to buy.  They are not as cheap as the light bulbs you buy at a store to light up your home, at least not yet.  I'm sure in the future they will become cheaper.  And while if may be easy for you (though might cost you a bit extra) to replace all the lights in your home with flicker free lights, for cities and countries (think of public utility lights, government offices, even private corporate offices, etc.) it's not that simple.  Say for example you have a home that is lit by only 10 or so light bulbs, one blows out and you either have a spare one stocked at home or you run to the store and get a replacement.  With governments, they cannot wait for something to fail before they go purchase a replacement.  They are running a public service (or the company they have given the contract to) to keep the lights on the streets and highways working.  So they most likely keep a stock (I don't exactly know how large a stock they would keep) of replacement parts so that if a light at a street corner fails they send a someone to go replace it immediately.  If right now the city's regulations were to change immediately that the next day all the light bulbs they use have to be replaced by flicker free lights, that means they will have to:

1. acquire enough stock of new lights to install and keep as spare parts
  2. send out people, and if there are not enough, at least temporarily hire more workers to do the job
  3. find some way to get rid of the old spare parts supply as well as the old parts they just removed

Here's another example of where different regions/countries have different standards: electrical outlets.  Forcing people like me who travel quite a lot to carry outlet adapters.

Perhaps in some distant future we will start phasing out different standards and the world will decide to adopt one single format that makes life convenient for everyone.

33 minutes ago, ALwin said:

*snip*

:)

yes, the same goes for measurement systems, like metric/imperial, but the difference is that that is much easier to change than like outlets and how many Hz or volts it is.

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

:)

yes, the same goes for measurement systems, like metric/imperial, but the difference is that that is much easier to change than like outlets and how many Hz or volts it is.

You would think so, but it's not entirely true.  Say today country X has road signs using Imperial Units and tomorrow it wants to start using Metric.  They would have to replace all the signs and distance markers on the highways.

49 minutes ago, ALwin said:

You would think so, but it's not entirely true.  Say today country X has road signs using Imperial Units and tomorrow it wants to start using Metric.  They would have to replace all the signs and distance markers on the highways.

Not saying it is easy, or cheap, but it is easier and cheaper than changing electrical system.

-Stephen Hawking

I got a Canon 1000D to borrow from someone I know. Its quite old.

but he does not want me to use anything else than auto.

It does not have any kind of AF in live view, but I can go around that, it will just take longer time :)

But at least I can try to take photos :)

-Stephen Hawking

I read that you live in Norway and I would just like to point out that there is quite a few used Sony A6000 for decent prices sold here in Sweden. If you can check in on "Blocket" https://www.blocket.se/) and search for used cameras. There is usally some pretty good deals and most people will actually ship. (At least the ones I have ever contacted have been willing to ship it if you pay for it)

Of course there is a lot more than just the A6000's for good prices usally. And well as far as I know most things here in Sweden is a lot cheaper than what it is in Norway.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

29 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

I read that you live in Norway and I would just like to point out that there is quite a few used Sony A6000 for decent prices sold here in Sweden. If you can check in on "Blocket" https://www.blocket.se/) and search for used cameras. There is usally some pretty good deals and most people will actually ship. (At least the ones I have ever contacted have been willing to ship it if you pay for it)

Of course there is a lot more than just the A6000's for good prices usally. And well as far as I know most things here in Sweden is a lot cheaper than what it is in Norway.

Prices is almost exactly the same :P

-Stephen Hawking

When it comes to memory cards, what speed does it need to be for 1080p 30? (like on a 600D/700D camera)

Around the web people say different things, like one place people say 30 MB/s but another someone said you need 45 MB/s or more.

I am looking at buying 32 gb with 80 MB/s write or saving 32 gb 40 MB/s and saving 7€.

Both are Sandisk.

Are the faster one worth the 7€  and should I maybe by the faster one for "futureproofing" (does it support 1080p 60 or higher)

Or shooting raw pictures with the rapid fire mode or what the hell you call it.

This is one of the questions I know is a really noob question if you think that I am generally interested in computer stuff.

-Stephen Hawking

27 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

snip

For video, 1080p30, the 30MB/s card should be sufficient.

For the continuous shooting speed, it depends on a few things:

• first, how many fps can your camera shoot?
  • what is the camera's buffer capacity for RAW?

Here, a faster speed rating for a memory card can be a benefit, to enable the camera to offload the photos from the buffer to the card so that it can capture a few more frames.  It won't increase the continuous shooting frame rate, but it can potentially let you shoot at your camera's max fps for a longer period. Otherwise when the internal buffer becomes full the camera will slow down so that the buffer has time to offload to the card and make room for more frames.  On a camera like the 700D which has a max speed of 5fps, when you shoot RAW the buffer might be able to hold up to a dozen frames, more if you shoot JPEG.  Entry level cameras tend to have smaller buffer sizes than pro level cameras.  I don't remember what it says in the manual but my D4 can hold up to around 100 RAW frames or so I think, but then it shoots like 10fps.

10 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

When it comes to memory cards, what speed does it need to be for 1080p 30? (like on a 600D/700D camera)

[...]

I am looking at buying 32 gb with 80 MB/s write or saving 32 gb 40 MB/s and saving 7€.

Both are Sandisk.

[...]

Or shooting raw pictures with the rapid fire mode or what the hell you call it.

Without increasing the bitrare with magic lantern a card which writes at 10MB/s is enough.

I don't know which cards do you mean AFAIK there are no sandisk cards with guaranteed write speeds.

For example the most recent version of this card reads at almost 80MB/s but it writes just below 20MB/s

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0143RT8OY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468998778&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sandisk+sd&dpPl=1&dpID=51MMGGrKpkL&ref=plSrch

If you want to make sure that you can take as much RAW as possible you would need a card which writes at 45MB/s that's the camera's maximum write speed. The camera only supports the 50MHz UHS-I mode

Edit: UHS-I is supported since 650D, 600D writes at 20MB/s

Would be this card https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013CP3KZ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468998778&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=sandisk+sd&dpPl=1&dpID=51iVTXdHmdL&ref=plSrch

2 hours ago, .spider. said:

Without increasing the bitrare with magic lantern a card which writes at 10MB/s is enough.

I don't know which cards do you mean AFAIK there are no sandisk cards with guaranteed write speeds.

For example the most recent version of this card reads at almost 80MB/s but it writes just below 20MB/s

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0143RT8OY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468998778&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sandisk+sd&dpPl=1&dpID=51MMGGrKpkL&ref=plSrch

If you want to make sure that you can take as much RAW as possible you would need a card which writes at 45MB/s that's the camera's maximum write speed. The camera only supports the 50MHz UHS-I mode

Edit: UHS-I is supported since 650D, 600D writes at 20MB/s

Would be this card https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013CP3KZ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468998778&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=sandisk+sd&dpPl=1&dpID=51iVTXdHmdL&ref=plSrch

So 1000D does not support SDHC UHS-I class 3?

Because I want to buy a card that I can use in that one I borrow now, but also the camera I buy in the future, without it limiting the camera.

I may also be able to borrow a 600D.

The SD card I borrow with the camera is just 2 GB.

The two cards I have been looking at is the last of the cards you mention (And the stores here says it writes at 40 MB/s) 

Or this card (In a Norwegian store) and it says it writes at 90 MB/s:

http://www.multicom.no/sandisk-extreme-pro-sdhc-uhs-i/cat-p/c/p4207081

I know those are top speed, but it the real speed so much lower?

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I know those are top speed, but it the real speed so much lower?

What's on paper and how it actually performs in real life are two different things.  Those are just the max ratings for the speeds.  And Sandisk doesn't always label both read and write speeds on their cards.

Have gotten the Canon 600D I am borrowing, and personally, I think the difference between that and 1000D is night and day. (haven't tested image quality but that isnt that important, 1000Ds image quality was good enough for me)

The screen, the menus, the rubber grip, and things I cant describe is so much better :).

-Stephen Hawking

9 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Have gotten the Canon 600D I am borrowing, and personally, I think the difference between that and 1000D is night and day. (haven't tested image quality but that isnt that important, 1000Ds image quality was good enough for me)

The screen, the menus, the rubber grip, and things I cant describe is so much better :).

Moral of the story = you get what you pay for

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii