Blizzard is suing cheat creator Bossland, claims they have cost Blizzard millions in lost sales.

Master Disaster
6 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

Why are so many against Blizzard on this? Cheating/hacking is a multi million if not billion dollar business by now, most 'good' hacks aren't free, people buy 3rd party software for the sole purpose of cheating or hacking. I hate Blizzard after Activision bought them up as much as the next guy. But they are doing something to try and change it. Perhaps its wrong to sue them over potential lost revenue, but money rules the world and if Blizzard sue them for damaging their copyrighted work, perhaps it would be more correct, but it would not get too much attention, unless they close the most popular private server. Anyways I cheer for Blizzard on this, because looking at it, I do think alot of people who either buy the game or consider buying the came will cause a loss in revenue either if its because they don't buy it or the buyer don't convince their friends to buy it because its infested with players having an unfair advantage.

And I saw earlier in this topic that there are multi-players games without hacking, and that is fucking bullshit. Every multi player game popular or not will have some form of hacking. Starcraft 2, map hacks, or a hack that removes the black fog, forgot whats its actually called, League of Legends the same as Starcraft 2. FPS, Map hacks, aimbot, wallhack. RPG's like wow, or hell, even Maple Story and FACEBOOK GAMES had different kinds of hack, like item vac, speed hacks, and even damage hack. I again say, there is no MP game without some sort of hacking or bots both 3rd party software designed and sold to people that wants to have an unfair advantage. 

People need to read between the lines here, sure Blizzard is money hungry, just like League of Legends (EVEN IF ITS A F2P GAME) Valve, etc etc. But look away from the money, they are actually suing 'bad guys' here. They are trying to make a change, and its for the better regarding MP games. If you guys can't read between the lines and realize that even if its for the money, its still a good thing I'm tempted to consider you all hackers that believe hacking its a positive and good thing, because news fucking flash, its not. Hacking is something that the PC platform have, perhaps some console have it aswell, but not as bad as on PC. People claim they'd rather play on a console than having to deal with hackers, thats potential loss in PC gamers, PC games and a loss in people buy PC's and PC components. And we could sure need more people looking into PC instead of consoles as a gaming platform or else PC gaming will die out eventually, more than it already has. Besides, the more lucrative the PC gaming is, the cheaper things will get for us, either if its games or hardware.

I for one cheer for Blizzard on this one, and if you people disagree with me because you're too dumb to see how this is infact a good thing then I do really feel bad for you.

Starting frivolous lawsuits that you can't possibly expect to win is a good thing? It's no wonder America is so screwed up, the country where politicians are against chip and pin because remembering 4 digits is too hard for the population but OK with selling the exact same people military grade weapons and the country where you can solve anything with a lawsuit.

No one is saying that removing the hacks is a bad idea but Blizzard are gaining a reputation of suing anyone for anything and going after this guy in US court is a dumb move.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Starting frivolous lawsuits that you can't possibly expect to win is a good thing? It's no wonder America is so screwed up, the country where politicians are against chip and pin because remembering 4 digits is too hard for the population but OK with selling the exact same people military grade weapons and the country where you can solve anything with a lawsuit.

No one is saying that removing the hacks is a bad idea but Blizzard are gaining a reputation of suing anyone for anything and going after this guy in US court is a dumb move.

Not quite getting how America being screwed has anything to do with this. Blizzard has been a shit company ever since Activision bought them. I don't really give 1 rats ass about them gaining a reputation for suing half the world. Point is, people are noticing it and hopefully it won't take long before someone really actually go in for removing the root of the problem and not just the weed, I'm sure they can eventually find one. That's why I like what Blizzard is doing, it gathers attention, and that is beyond any shadow of a doubt what this subject need.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

1 hour ago, Clonzoo said:

Not quite getting how America being screwed has anything to do with this. Blizzard has been a shit company ever since Activision bought them. I don't really give 1 rats ass about them gaining a reputation for suing half the world. Point is, people are noticing it and hopefully it won't take long before someone really actually go in for removing the root of the problem and not just the weed, I'm sure they can eventually find one. That's why I like what Blizzard is doing, it gathers attention, and that is beyond any shadow of a doubt what this subject need.

Wow, so I'm guessing your quite young (no offence intended btw) because your attitude towards the world seems to be very naive and rose tinted. 

You don't go around creating new problems in an effort to fix an existing problem because most of the time you'll wind up with 2 problems that need fixing. 

Are you familiar with Hydra? Have you ever heard the phrase "remove one arm and I'll grow two more"? This is the Internet your talking about, it's literally impossible to beat these people.

For one thing the simple fact of the matter is they are doing nothing wrong (ignoring the obvious moral issues), hacking is not illegal, scripting is not illegal (it is in some very specific circumstances) and botting is not illegal. Now if you can prove without doubt they've decompiled your source then you've got them but that's almost impossible to do but the fact is, going after them for damages due to lost sales is about the best they can do and even then, they don't stand a chance of proving that and even if they do he is not based in America and ergo cannot be forced to abide by any ruling. 

Ignoring that fact we come back to hydra, even if Blizzard win do you really think that'll be the end of it? There's likely 3 or 4 people already waiting to take over from Bossland should they go away. Its a never ending battle, now does that mean they shouldn't fight? Not for me to say but there are many more scumbags on the Internet than what Blizzard can afford to sue, many many many many many times more. It would be best if they got used to the fact that some people will always be willing to cheat and spend the resources trying to create better anticheat technology rather than trying to sue everyone who pisses them off. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 7/5/2016 at 8:09 AM, manikyath said:

just dropping this in for reasons, among others, they mention blizzard's "way of working with hackers" and kinda hint to their reasons behind it.

It was very interesting to watch this video.

On 05/07/2016 at 10:57 PM, Thony said:

Hi Blizzard, now I'm certain u are a piece of shit. I was unsure until now.

Cheating should be punished and those making cheats too. They ruin any online game. Fuck them ! Hope Blizzard wins even though they claim cheating made hundreds of thousand of people to not purchase their game.

I personally didn't buy the game because of the stupidly high price tag. If CSGO (similar game really, two teams, no advantages by picking a certain  team. Balanced skill based) can cost as little as £10 ($15) then  game with little more effort can cost 4 times as much ! I would happily pay £20 ($30).

Your post really confuses me. 

1. You now believe blizzard are a POS.

2. Cheaters and cheat creaters should be punished. 

Blizzard are trying to punish the cheat creaters by taking them to court for (basically) tortious interference. Shouldn't you be happy about this? (See point 2).

I'm 100% with blizzard on this one. 

Edited by Grinners

14 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

[Snip]

The keyword there would be seems. And again, I do not see how I am so naive with rose tinted glasses from writing what I did. I honestly don't.

Me and you wouldn't fix a problem if it created 2 new problems. Blizzard, doesn't really give a shit it seems. But hey, what Blizzard does hardly affect us in anyway until they have to pay the lawyers all their income and have to close down their servers. And yes I am familiar with Hyrda, and yes beating these people is impossible.

If you look in Blizzard's terms of service, it will be stated that any use of 3rd party software is prohibited. Perhaps its not written down in any kind of law, but its in their terms of service. If the court were to get a hold of the hacks from Bossland, it wouldn't bee too hard for them to see what game these hacks are aimed for. Then I'm pretty sure they could sue them for damaging their game, or property or whatever. But lets look away from the whole suing deal. There are skilled, proper hackers out there, and not necessarily the black hat kind. What if one of these individual with all the attention this subject is getting decided to hack Bossland, shut them down, ruin their shit. As you said earlier, this is the internet, anything could happen, however slim the chances of that may be.

There will always be hacking, its not gonna go away. But if Blizzard would win there would be a little less atleast for the time being. If other companies started doing this, but for a reason outside money, do you not think we'd see a change in how many hackers there are out there, it wouldn't be a dramatic change. But in my book anything counts. And the creating a better anticheat technology is a stupid argument really. Sure, Blizzard and many other companies have the capacity to make amazing anitcheat tech, but the people who are making hacks are really good at what they do. So anticheat and the cheating software is always neck on neck with eachother.

I try to see and imagine what good may come from this. And there is many pros for us gamers wishing to play our games in a fair environment. Whats the chances of this making any change. Near nothing honestly. I don't play any Blizzard game atm, will I in the future, maybe, but I don't know. As for now, whatever Blizzard do, will not affect me in a negative way, and I guess thats the silver lining. Naive, or rose tinted, your words, not mine. I prefer to focus on what good something like this may bring, not the negative, and I can't see what negative consequences this may have for me. I can only see the small chance of something positive. And hey. a c+ or c is better than a c-.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

On July 5, 2559 BE at 9:01 AM, HKZeroFive said:

I do. Name me one multiplayer game that doesn't have cheaters.

Guild Wars 2

Perfect World

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

On 7/8/2016 at 0:30 AM, Clonzoo said:

Ahhh, rose tinted glasses there my friend.  Activision didn't buy Blizzard.  At least get your facts straight.

On 7/8/2016 at 1:53 AM, Master Disaster said:

Wow, so I'm guessing your quite young (no offence intended btw) because your attitude towards the world seems to be very naive and rose tinted. 

You don't go around creating new problems in an effort to fix an existing problem because most of the time you'll wind up with 2 problems that need fixing. 

Are you familiar with Hydra? Have you ever heard the phrase "remove one arm and I'll grow two more"? This is the Internet your talking about, it's literally impossible to beat these people.

For one thing the simple fact of the matter is they are doing nothing wrong (ignoring the obvious moral issues), hacking is not illegal, scripting is not illegal (it is in some very specific circumstances) and botting is not illegal. Now if you can prove without doubt they've decompiled your source then you've got them but that's almost impossible to do but the fact is, going after them for damages due to lost sales is about the best they can do and even then, they don't stand a chance of proving that and even if they do he is not based in America and ergo cannot be forced to abide by any ruling. 

Ignoring that fact we come back to hydra, even if Blizzard win do you really think that'll be the end of it? There's likely 3 or 4 people already waiting to take over from Bossland should they go away. Its a never ending battle, now does that mean they shouldn't fight? Not for me to say but there are many more scumbags on the Internet than what Blizzard can afford to sue, many many many many many times more. It would be best if they got used to the fact that some people will always be willing to cheat and spend the resources trying to create better anticheat technology rather than trying to sue everyone who pisses them off. 

Except Bossland makes the 1 hack tool that still consistently manages to bypass Blizzard's anti-cheat system.  They are one of the only companies in the world who are managing to do this, so taking them down means a HUGE part of the hacking community loses their easy cheating.  I'm all in with Blizzard here.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.