GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 hard hanging and auto restarting

King\//\

Hi,

I have had this gpu for a little under a year now. The graphics card seems to consistently have issues that lead to crashing or hard hanging. i have tested my system without it and the system seems to be stable. The system also crashes or hard hangs with a sound loop when watching youtube or streaming and has recently been extended to crashing and hard hanging in chrome as a whole. This has resulted in my using the pc being purely for gaming and using a mac laptop for everything else. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and the gpu seems to work for a little while before these issues occur again. I thought it was other parts of my pc, but my GPU seems to be the most consistent problem. Also, when I install windows, when I have the 970 in, the pc crashes and fails windows installation. I have thought it may be driver issues or TDR, but I have a TDRdelay of 10 in the registry now and I have installed and reinstalled drivers, using DDU. I have looked at everything, should I send an RMA. I bought it from PCCASEGEAR in australia.

what PSU are you using

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Dear @King\//\ ,

Please scroll down to the bottom of the page and change the theme to night. See what happens to OP, and fix it so, so people can actually read your text and help you out.

With love, Imakuni (and every other night theme user in the forum).

EDIT: And somehow, you've made it even worse....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Same thing is happening with my 660...

So far the solution is rolling back to earlier drivers that work.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

what PSU are you using

My Psu is a 750w G2 from EVGA. It's barely 6 months old. I had issues like this with previous PSUs

5 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Dear @King\//\ ,

Please scroll down to the bottom of the page and change the theme to night. See what happens to OP, and fix it so, so people can actually read your text and help you out.

With love, Imakuni (and every other night theme user in the forum).

EDIT: And somehow, you've made it even worse....

How exactly did you want me to fix it?

7 hours ago, King\//\ said:

How exactly did you want me to fix it?

Select the whole text and press the little "Tx" button on the very right. It removes all formating, so it the auto coloring will do it's job and make it look nice for both night and day users alike.

And while you are at it, you might also wanna throw a few Enter strokes to break the wall of text a little bit.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

On 6/14/2016 at 1:51 AM, Imakuni said:

Select the whole text and press the little "Tx" button on the very right. It removes all formating, so it the auto coloring will do it's job and make it look nice for both night and day users alike.

And while you are at it, you might also wanna throw a few Enter strokes to break the wall of text a little bit.

Thanks for your incredibly helpful contribution to the topic. I definitely know what I am going to do with my GPU now! Incredibly helpful. In future, as opposed to being an asshole and commenting smartass comments telling me to reformat, contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion, how about PMing me or something? 

With Love,

King\//\

49 minutes ago, King\//\ said:

Thanks for your incredibly helpful contribution to the topic. I definitely know what I am going to do with my GPU now! Incredibly helpful. In future, as opposed to being an asshole and commenting smartass comments telling me to reformat, contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion, how about PMing me or something? 

With Love,

King\//\

I'll try to help you now that I can read your posts...

For starters, the drivers. Have your tried using versions 368.22 or 362.00? The versions in between had some... problems. If you didn't try those, do it and report back.

Next, did you do any overclocking? If so, put the card back at stock. If already at stock, try underclocking it a bit: -100 on the core and -200 on the RAM should be enough. See if that helps.

If neither of those help, you can try going into chrome and disabling hardware acceleration. It's not going to fix the source of the problem, but it could alleviate the symptoms by not using the GPU.