Home NAS server on cheap.

ddddanil

This story started when two 2Tb HDDs were surprisingly full. Instead of buying a couple of new disks I decided to make my own NAS. The problem is... I can't afford a new computer now. So I grabbed my old gaming rig and some magic.

2016-05-28 15.36.23.jpg

This computer was quiet good for its time. I even managed to play some modern games on it. Initial hardware:

-) EPOX EP-8RDA+PRO           | Motherboard
-) AMD Athlon XP 1800+        | Processor
-) ASUS V9570                 | Graphics card
-) VIA VT6105                 | Networking card
-) Sony DVD-RW                | Optical drive
-) Samsung floppy drive       | Floppy drive
-) Seagate Barracuda 200Gb    | Hard drive
-) 2 unlabeled 80mm fans      | Fans
-) NNM_Chinese(tm) PSU        | Power supply
-) Unnamed case               | Case

This bad boy is not quiet ready for server duty. I've added some dust covers first. Old socks are good enough.

2016-05-28 17.55.52.jpg

2016-05-28 17.56.00.jpg

You should keep in mind that these computers aren't designed for server usage, so you have to do a good fan setup with dust covers (don't forget about one new to the HDDs) for good heat output and find a good PSU. I'm a bad example because I'm carelessly using that old PSU. I recommend 80+ gold or higher for stable work and output. Don't be careless and make some buffer for you. You'll thank yourself.

Then I bought a 4Tb WD Black HHD. Why not the Red? They were cheaper. Really. On this moment I've found some traces and pins for 4 more SATA ports. I gave up the soldering idea.

So, internals are done. Right place to fit it in, old VGA display, PS/2 keyboard and Boom. It works.

Now software.

2016-05-28 15.36.12.jpg

I've made a DVD with Ubuntu Server on it (mind 32 bits) and set it up. Why server? Because GUI is for losers and it's lighter, what have to have on an old computer. I recommend any Linux. Of course you can run Windows on more powerful rig but not here. Some Samba config and here it is. Cheap, Powerful, Amazing and just Outstanding - The great Cthulhu Server! Not Gigabit but still quiet good.

I'm really surprised how it performs. It's a good way to store you data when you're not the only person in your family. I recommend making their own server to everyone. It's cheap and efficient. Write what do you think about this bad boy?

Update!

It was really loud so I've bought quieter fans. At this point it performs really well even with that PSU.

maby this could be a 4th use of my LAN PC if i can get the seller to respond lol. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Really impressive! When you'll have a bit more money you could get a PCI NIC to get gigabit speeds. Keep up the good work!