Should I buy a DAC?

HighRez

Hello! I have a semi low end mobo, the ASUS B85M-G R2.0. I'm wondering if it has a decent built in audio device, or should i buy a dac. I also may update to skylake, and was wondering about the Asus Z170-E.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, HighRez said:

Hello! I have a semi low end mobo, the ASUS B85M-G R2.0. I'm wondering if it has a decent built in audio device, or should i buy a dac. I also may update to skylake, and was wondering about the Asus Z170-E.

Thanks!

By my understanding (I never really took the time to study on board audio) if you're talking about the built in audio device it will really only affect you if you use the audio ports at the front of the case you should not have this problem if you use a USB Adapter. I would personally keep your money, as even if you do upgrade you will not have (if any) much better audio.

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

Do you want to buy a DAC? What headphones do you use?

Got new k533 a couple days ago. No, and I know generally buying a DAC isn't a good idea in that price range. But will my mobo output quality audio?

1 minute ago, HighRez said:

Got new k533 a couple days ago. No, and I know generally buying a DAC isn't a good idea in that price range. But will my mobo output quality audio?

You tell me. At this budget I don't usually recommend anything. If you want to know what's out there, see the thread @Dackzy made on the subject.

7 hours ago, HighRez said:

nah don't bother with a DAC it will maybe give you 2% better audio quality, but that is something you will most likely not notice and if you get a DAC you will also need to get a amp. The post about this is linked in my signature.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.