Molex Case Fan to Motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

That adapter is your only choice. But it doesn't have the third pin that's required for speed reporting. Worst case scenario would be that you still won't be able to control the speed. If I were you, I'd get new fans. Or re-wire the ones you have to make them run slower.

Hi,

I want to control and monitor my fan speed of two 4 pin molex fan case. How should I connect them to the motherboard. Do I buy a 4-pin molex to 3-pin fan adapter? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9F943Y0335&cm_re=molex_to_3_pin_fan_adapter-_-9SIA9F943Y0335-_-Product). I currently have the fans connected directly to my PSU.

Thanks,

FlavourZ

That adapter is your only choice. But it doesn't have the third pin that's required for speed reporting. Worst case scenario would be that you still won't be able to control the speed. If I were you, I'd get new fans. Or re-wire the ones you have to make them run slower.

4 minutes ago, FlavorZ said:

Hi,

I want to control and monitor my fan speed of two 4 pin molex fan case. How should I connect them to the motherboard. Do I buy a 4-pin molex to 3-pin fan adapter? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9F943Y0335&cm_re=molex_to_3_pin_fan_adapter-_-9SIA9F943Y0335-_-Product). I currently have the fans connected directly to my PSU.

Thanks,

FlavourZ

Unless it has the third wire I don't think you can monitor or control that type of fan at all...sorry.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

To add info, you will be able to control the fan via DC ONLY.  I use similar items in my own system so they can turn off automatically.  However, it should give you a % so, 100% = (I presume) 12Volts.  This leaves no reason to replace the case fans unless you need that accurate reporting of 4-pin PWM.  I have an ASUS Z97 PRO Gamer, it controls the fans over DC by limiting the voltage, which I think yours should be able to do.  It will be a lot quieter than connected to your PSU.

In other words:

There is no need to chance your case fans if your motherboard actually supports fan control in the DC mode.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.