Is there a jet engine in my computer?

Xx_death1544_xx
Go to solution Solved by Xx_death1544_xx,

I was able to unplug the fan and it is much quieter now, there were just 4 screws holding the fan and a shroud on so i took them out unplugged the fan and put them back on  

I have a silver stone fs303 hard drive enclosure and it has a little 70mm fan and even on low it is louder than my other 6 system fans. Does any one have any ideas as to how i could fix the noise of this fan. 

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

3 minutes ago, Xx_death1544_xx said:

Does any one have any ideas as to how i could fix the noise of this fan

Unplug it, assuming temps are OK.

I HIGHLY doubt it's controllable by software or maybe even at all.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

well it is a hard drive enclosure and to change the speed it is a physical switch and i cant really unplug it because that would mean pulling the power on my hard drives because it gets all its power from sata power

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Unplug it, assuming temps are OK.

I HIGHLY doubt it's controllable by software or maybe even at all.

3 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

That's only at stock speed, they didn't even overclock it.

Just now, Xx_death1544_xx said:

well it is a hard drive enclosure and to change the speed it is a physical switch and i cant really unplug it because that would mean pulling the power on my hard drives because it gets all its power from sata power

What you do is unscrew the back plane from the enclosure then remove the PCB from the back plane, you should fine the fan plugs into a little connector on the PCB.

1 minute ago, Xx_death1544_xx said:

Is the lowest fan setting ok?

I'm sure you can remove the fan, though it is possible that it's soldered in. Still removable, but a bit harder.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Is the lowest fan setting ok?

I'm sure you can remove the fan, though it is possible that it's soldered in. Still removable, but a bit harder.

The lowest setting is easily just as loud as my asus strix 980ti at full load so i think i will try to take it apart and disconnect the fan

35 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

I have seen the original version of that video. Its interesting it is  the only time i have seen a jet engine runaway like that.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

17 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I have seen the original version of that video. Its interesting it is  the only time i have seen a jet engine runaway like that.

I have seen the original video i have never seen anything like that either

I was able to unplug the fan and it is much quieter now, there were just 4 screws holding the fan and a shroud on so i took them out unplugged the fan and put them back on  

5 hours ago, snortings said:

Last time I checked, you cannot fit a jet engine in a case. Sorry.

You clearly never seen Some of the dell premade computers in tbe old days.