Upgrade Ideas, Please

11 hours ago, AbdullahTrees said:

I've heard of it :D You're sure it is durable right? I'll check it out

On another topic, I ran Cinebench 15 on my PC, I think I did quite well, but could've done better

Cinebench_marks.png

Can anyone help me out on finding more benchmark softwares? I need moar! :) 

it shouldn't be any more worry than using a HDD 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

There is no need to worry about the ssd write/read cycles. They are far beyond what a normal person can write on them on even heavy usage and it should last you for several years, and start slowing down noticeably way before  their write/read runs off. Heck I know a person who uses an 7 years ssd every day. It has slowed down for sure but he had absolutely no issue with data corruption ,or anything (while his secondary hdd has issues due to mechanical failures), and it's still more responsive than my 1.5y old i7 4710hq+ hdd laptop. The 850 evo is indeed a good and reliable choice. Also since you are on a budget, the most reasonable option would be to take a 120gb 850 evo( 67$ on amazon us) and put windows, chrome and maybe a couple of games in there. It will noticeably improve the responsiveness of the computer, reduce the amount of time you will need to look at those white chrome pages when opening, make games load faster, especially those with big textures etc. It's not just boot times, that's just an easy way to measure it. Ssd's are the kind of luxury that you don't really need to get your job done, but once you start using them you will never want to go back to booting from an hdd.

And also upgrade your ram. Having your system lock due to being out of ram and needing a cold reboot in not fun.

Also the 380 shouldn't have any problem running on 1080p, and from what I understand your pc is having framerate issues with running on 1080p in general. I don't know why that would happen, unless you are using some adaptor for some older output or something.( really, no idea this shouldn't be happening).

1) Absolutely get more memory;

2) Get a cheap SSD;

3) Get a new case+fans, maybe a silencio  because silence is bliss;

4) If you need more threads, a xeon 1270 has no internal gpu but has hyperhtreading instead (large investment tho for particular little gains).

What a surprise, I'm already having black screens that I can't get rid of unless I restart. Happens when I play graphic-intense games like NFS Most Wanted (the 2005 one)

What do you recommend I do? Change the PSU? 

On 5/5/2016 at 7:11 AM, AbdullahTrees said:

New. I had to change it because the graphics card eats a lot of power under stress

Oh, while we're at it, I also don't get why people give SSD more priority than HDD's. SSD's have a drastically low read/write cycle, so they end up slowing down and becoming trash very quickly, And they also have low storage per $, I think. So, what's the benefit? People just like speed more than durability? 

It would take years and years for a SSD to run out of read/writes, also I've gone through way more HDD's then SSD's. Second, I don't think you understand how SSD's work if you believe "they become trash very quickly".

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

On 5/13/2016 at 0:01 AM, Fluffinator said:

It would take years and years for a SSD to run out of read/writes, also I've gone through way more HDD's then SSD's. Second, I don't think you understand how SSD's work if you believe "they become trash very quickly".

It might be true, I'm a very outdated guy and I'm talking about the new SSD's that were small in size, I have no experience with modern SSD's, but they do have high $/gigabyte than HDD's, don't they?

Just to give you an idea of recent SSD vs HDD performance and reliability. Currently SSD's have a higher mean time to failure, which is just the time it takes on average for a drive to fail, higher is much better here as it takes longer for it to fail in some sort of way.

Comparatively for cost, yes SSD's do have a higher cost per GB than HDD, but right now SSD's for boot drives are relatively inexpensive ($60 can get you a solid boot drive).

One thing that gets brought up as a "problem" of SSD's is their write speeds not being significantly faster than HDD's. For some users it is pretty important to have fast write speeds but for the vast majority of normal people, read speeds are what you want as that will reduce times for: loading games, booting your OS, launching programs, etc.

Hopefully that helps give you an idea of why everyone here keeps saying put an SSD in your system, it really does make a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea I would go with the RAM upgrade and an SSD, most are very reliable and have good warranties on them. 

They are not unstable but they do have limited read/write cycles, BUT it takes years to reach that point with a good SSD and normal useage. 

I would also upgrade the case, surprising no-one esle said that yet.

I would get something like the Fractal Design core 1000. Would improve airflow and would looks so much nicer. 

It would also allow you to manage the cables a bit better. You seem to have a small area for your pc so that case is or should be the same size as it looks like a mATX case from the pics. 

• 2 weeks later...
On May 5, 2016 at 6:09 AM, AbdullahTrees said:

My PC is about 2 years old, but my graphics card got fried recently so I upgraded it :D 

Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2 GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Monitor: Samsung S19B150B 18.5 inch monitor

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower W0424 550W

Onboard Audio (I don't understand why people use audio cards, doesn't make sense to me at all)

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC (Previously a lame Sapphire HD 6450)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-HD3

Storage: 1TB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX

I need opinions, can this build be improved? This is on a budget btw,

More RAM? Maybe 8 GB? 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

1 minute ago, Apollo Refugio said:

More RAM? Maybe 8 GB? 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 6:09 AM, AbdullahTrees said:

My PC is about 2 years old, but my graphics card got fried recently so I upgraded it :D 

Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2 GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Monitor: Samsung S19B150B 18.5 inch monitor

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower W0424 550W

Onboard Audio (I don't understand why people use audio cards, doesn't make sense to me at all)

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC (Previously a lame Sapphire HD 6450)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-HD3

Storage: 1TB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX

I know the thread is kinda old, but add an ssd (probably 128 or 256GB) and up the ram to 8GB and it'll be pretty decent

I start every day with a nice hot cup of Linus.

I thought FTW is f*ck Taiwan.

If you touch Sony's Cledis, it could be damaged.

Oh good for you, smarty pants, here's a f*cking gold star.

The sauce will never die.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 8:09 AM, AbdullahTrees said:

Any build can be improved, but I'd suggest that adding an additional 4Gigs of RAM would be the best "budget" improvement.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD