[Idea] Alcantara and leather mod on case! (Ferrari inspired)

revoconner

Hey everyone! 

So I've been thinking for a while that whether I should make a case mod with alcantara and leather accents with contrast thick strings as stitching on borders. I was inspired by how awesome the ferrari seat looks. But then again alcantara and italian leather is expensive and I have no experience with stitching whatsoever (i once stitched the a tiny hole in the hem of my pyjama). Should I try it? Yay or nay? 

Just hoping for friendly suggestions, and maybe some color combinations if you think it should be tried. 

images (2).jpg

3 minutes ago, revoconner said:

Hey everyone! 

So I've been thinking for a while that whether I should make a case mod with alcantara and leather accents with contrast thick strings as stitching on borders. I was inspired by how awesome the ferrari seat looks. But then again alcantara and italian leather is expensive and I have no experience with stitching whatsoever (i once stitched the a tiny hole in the hem of my pyjama). Should I try it? Yay or nay? 

Just hoping for friendly suggestions, and maybe some color combinations if you think it should be tried. 

-snip-

You might run into major heat problems if you do this...leather traps heat.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

22 minutes ago, revoconner said:

Hey everyone! 

-PIC-

You may want to practice on some thick scraps of cloth and a sewing machine, but as long as they are say accents on a side panels or front of the cases I don't see it being too big of a problem unless you planning on doing very large portions or block off vents.

-Moved to Modding Section- 

8 hours ago, W-L said:

You may want to practice on some thick scraps of cloth and a sewing machine, but as long as they are say accents on a side panels or front of the cases I don't see it being too big of a problem unless you planning on doing very large portions or block off vents.

-Moved to Modding Section- 

8 hours ago, ddbtkd456 said:

You might run into major heat problems if you do this...leather traps heat.

No all the vents will be open of course, fortunately my brain is still functional

1 hour ago, revoconner said:

No all the vents will be open of course, fortunately my brain is still functional

I wasn't meaning that as an insult and I'm sorry you took it that way. I was just trying to be realistic.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Have you looked at prices of Alcantara and leather, or just think it is expensive because it sounds expensive? I mean, its expensive compared to a yard of cotton, but realistically some pieces for accents will only run you $20-$30, heck you could pry do an entire case with a full sheep hide for $50. Suede is near identical to Alcantara, just not as durable, but should be fine for a case and look exactly the same. It runs about $10-$20 per yard, which is a lot of material.

Side note, Italian leather is not a specific type, it just means it comes from Italy and is just used as a marketing term because it sounds fancy. There is good Italian leather, and there is extremely crappy Italian leather. Either way, for a case any will be fine.

As for the actual question, sewing leather sucks, your typical Singer machine won't cut it, and if you do it by hand you need to punch your holes prior to stitching since you can't easily push a needle thru it. I have no first hands with Alcantara other than feeling it in a car... but suede is pretty easy to sew on a machine.