Consumer gade hardware for home NAS build?

Want to build a 24/7 home nas with 6tb or 8tb effective storage in rid 1 config

I have three questions:

1.) I have an old system having an intel g3258, asus h81m-cs board( non ecc memory supported) sitting idle in my home. Is it suitable for building the required nas?

2.) If above configuration is not good, whats other cheap or not cheap consumer grade configuration I can use for building a home nas?

3.) If consumer grade parts are not going to sustain for more the an year, whats the cheapest enterprise parts required?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, mahii said:

Want to build a 24/7 home nas with 6tb or 8tb effective storage in rid 1 config

I have three questions:

1.) I have an old system having an intel g3258, asus h81m-cs board( non ecc memory supported) sitting idle in my home. Is it suitable for building the required nas?

2.) If above configuration is not good, whats other cheap or not cheap consumer grade configuration I can use for building a home nas?

3.) If consumer grade parts are not going to sustain for more the an year, whats the cheapest enterprise parts required?

Thanks

If you want to be safe get a xeon (Fairly new) off ebay and a motherboard that works with it with ecc memory support. But if you don't need enterprise reliability then that should be fine. Just make sure the PSU is reliable.

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

thnx clubconsoles!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, mahii said:

thnx clubconsoles!!!!!!!!!

Also, if you are using zfs(FreeNAS), you want 1 gb per tb installed in your system.

My native language is C++

Just now, Kyle Manning said:

Also, if you are using zfs(FreeNAS), you want 1 gb per tb installed in your system.

no worries. the asus board supports 16 upto gig ddr3

For a home use system, you don't really need that kind of reliability. Unless the things you store is worth the price.

Some components made by reputable manufacturers should do it. Just don't skimp on things like using no-brand PSU, shoddy RAM or questionable brand SATA expansion card/RAID card.

Other than that, running something like ZFS should do just fine.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

If you're building brand new, and with a small premium, sure I'd tell you go to out and buy ECC, Xeons, the Intel C-chipset boards, etc.  But there's nothing wrong with taking existing hardware if you have it for most circumstances.  The single largest cause of data loss is software failure and user failure, not hardware corruption. 

A 'feature' I'd really like to have on my (consumer homebuilt - NAS) is remote access to the console, through either IPMI, Intel AMT, or some other out-of-band solution.  Just so that it wouldn't need to have a monitor/keyboard attached for the console.  But whether that's worth selling all your existing hardware and finding new stuff would be entirely up to you.  You'd probably take a considerable loss on perfectly good hardware to do that, but if you live in an apartment or want the machine to sit on a rack without attaching something to it, it might be worthwhile.