Dropbox will not sync Illustrator files on Windows 10

Recently got a new Windows PC, and I noticed a weird thing happening.

Illustrator files will not be synced on to my Windows Desktop. No error message or anything pops up, the folders with .ai files are just empty.

This is the troubleshooting I've done already:

* Checked internet connection. Good connection and stable.

* Checked space in both my Mac and Windows PC, as well as in Dropbox. I have tons of space.

* Check file names for conflicting characters. None are present.

* Uninstalled, re-start pc, and Installed Dropbox several times.

* Changed the name of the file on my Mac. And location too. Wherever I save or move an .ai file in Dropbox, they don't show up on my Windows PC.

* Check that the file shows up on other devices (Iphone and Macbook pro) and on the Dropbox website.

Important note: Whenever I save an .ai file or move an existing one to another folder within Dropbox from my Mac for example, I see my Mac DB syncing, as soon as it's done, I see my Windows DB syncing, and then I get the "up to date" message, but the file does not show up.

So far this is only happening with .ai files, every other kind of file sync correctly on all devices.

PLEASE HELP - I work from home and need to have this issue fixed.

Motion Designer and 3D Generalist

My system specs: Ryzen 1700 - G. Skill Flare X 32GB - 2x EVGA 1070 SC - Windows 10 Home

why don't you use creative cloud ?

are the files in use somewhere else ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

why don't you use creative cloud ?

are the files in use somewhere else ?

I am a freelance motion designer, and I have to use dropbox with the company I work with. 

Files are not in use anywhere else, and, when I upload files from here they can see it at the office, but they all have macs. and viceversa

My system specs: Ryzen 1700 - G. Skill Flare X 32GB - 2x EVGA 1070 SC - Windows 10 Home

ok so from home to office its fine, but from office to home its not ?

does it show in the dropbox itself on windows 10 ?

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

ok so from home to office its fine, but from office to home its not ?

does it show in the dropbox itself on windows 10 ?

no. The only problem shows on my desktop windows 10 computer. Dropbox desktop application won't sync .ai files, but any other kind of file it will sync. I just did a test where I upload an .ai file from my mac and I see it syncing on my windows pc, but when I go and try to find it, it doesn't show up. Immediately did the same thing with a PNG file, and no problem, the file shows up on my windows pc.

I work from home so I only use my macbook pro and my new windows desktop pc. I don't have access to the computers at the office which are in another country by the way.

1 minute ago, Meet_Nomad said:

no. The only problem shows on my desktop windows 10 computer. Dropbox desktop application won't sync .ai files, but any other kind of file it will sync. I just did a test where I upload an .ai file from my mac and I see it syncing on my windows pc, but when I go and try to find it, it doesn't show up. Immediately did the same thing with a PNG file, and no problem, the file shows up on my windows pc.

I work from home so I only use my macbook pro and my new windows desktop pc. I don't have access to the computers at the office which are in another country by the way.

I have no idea how to help but i just wanted to say i like your art :)

Just now, Aytex said:

I have no idea how to help but i just wanted to say i like your art :)

LOL, thanks! follow me on instagram @meet_nomad 

2 minutes ago, Meet_Nomad said:

man I have no clue, did you try the dropbox tech support ?

I never had this issue on my windows 10 computer, dropbox nor my .ai or .psd files

5 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

man I have no clue, did you try the dropbox tech support ?

I never had this issue on my windows 10 computer, dropbox nor my .ai or .psd files

I know man, it's VERY weird. Even more weird that it only happens with .ai files. 

I did email support but I am guessing they are going to take forever to reply, right now I am completely uninstalling Dropbox from my computer and will re-install it again, make sure it's not conflicting with my antivirus, although I'm sure if there was a conflict, then I should have issues with any file, not only .ai files.

• 1 year later...

Were you ever able to solve this problem? We are having the same issue at work.

2 hours ago, TClower said:

Were you ever able to solve this problem? We are having the same issue at work.

Hey man. It's been a while since I've had to worry about syncing ai files over dropbox and i don't believe i found a solution other than zipping the AI file. I think i even talked to Dropbox reps and couldn't find the issue

Cool, thanks. Yeah, seems like they were as clueless 2 years ago as they are today. I went round and round with them until I got transferred to another person and then he blamed it on my file names... telling me things I already checked. The file names are just letters and spaces. It's got to be something with the way the mac illustrator is saving the file. It's the only file type we have issues with.
Alright, well thank you.

On 4/11/2016 at 8:57 AM, Meet_Nomad said:

Recently got a new Windows PC, and I noticed a weird thing happening.

Illustrator files will not be synced on to my Windows Desktop. No error message or anything pops up, the folders with .ai files are just empty.

--SNIP--

The job I work at sync's PSD and AI files all the time no problem. What is the EXACT filename of one of the AI or PSD files that don't sync from the Mac to the PC, and have you checked to see if you're using any illegal characters on the Mac (because Apple allows people to break the rules/Windows is retarded)?
https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)