HDMI Active Splitter

Hello!

I've got a TV on the wall that I rarely use but would like to and I have an auxiliary monitor on my desk. I also run 3 main monitors - and because of this, I can't connect all of the screens to my Nvidia GPU and duplicate because Nvidia seem to think that 4 screens is enough. My old AMD GPU was able to handle 5 screens no problem.

Anyway, I'm getting side-tracked. What I want, is to have an HDMI cable come from my GPU to my AVR, then from that to a splitter that leads to my TV and my secondary monitor.

I've had a quick look on Amazon and have found a few options but there are several reviews that say they aren't great on each of these items, along with several that say they're good. Are there any particular devices that you've used and would recommend? I'd prefer to get something that supports 4K as although I don't use it yet, I likely will in the future.

4 monitors one gpu?

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

Have you though about daisy chains? its not an hdmi option but I dont knwo your input types or exact uses. 

7 minutes ago, LynxThe1st said:

4 monitors one gpu?

Some support 6 directly without chains or hubs

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 hour ago, RedWulf said:

Wow!

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

1 hour ago, LynxThe1st said:

4 monitors one gpu?

Yep. It's a 980 Ti. I run three screens in portrait as an Nvidia Surround setup at 3240 x 1920. I then have a secondary screen for Skype, Youtube and whatnot.

1 hour ago, RedWulf said:

Have you though about daisy chains? its not an hdmi option but I dont knwo your input types or exact uses. 

My secondary monitor can daisy chain, but only through DP. I'm using HDMI and need to as that's how my sound setup works. Either way, it would show up to the GPU as 5 screens and wouldn't work. I've got a DisplayPort adaptor from 1 to 3 that I used on my old 7970s that I plugged into the 980Ti, used one HDMI to my AVR and secondary screen and then a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor for the TV. I could activate and use my normal setup just fine but I could NOT enable the TV, even as a duplicate.

So I bought a cheap HDMI splitter, but since it wasn't active, it had no purpose. It works fine with one screen plugged in but once you attach another, it just freaks out and fails to do anything useful. That means, my only two options are: use a secondary GPU for the secondary monitor and TV as well as audio OR use an active HDMI splitter. For compatibility reasons, my only option is the splitter.

1 hour ago, ddrkreature said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J4D3RTU/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I use all the time and it's been great. 

That looks perfect - thanks, but to get it in the UK it costs £15 + £15 shipping which is ridiculous (the shipping costs only). And since it's coming from the States, it'll probably take several weeks which is never fun.

Any other recommendations?

11 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

That looks perfect - thanks, but to get it in the UK it costs £15 + £15 shipping which is ridiculous (the shipping costs only). And since it's coming from the States, it'll probably take several weeks which is never fun.

Any other recommendations?

There are many like that, just have to pay attention to its capabilities. This one looks to be pretty cool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00W6XRCKA/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1460498938&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hdmi+splitter+1+input+2+output+4k&dpPl=1&dpID=41VlrbMAYmL&ref=plSrch

56 minutes ago, ddrkreature said:

That looks pretty good to me. Only one 1 star review and several 5 star ones. The ability to switch between 1 > 2 and 2 > 1 sounds useful - even though I'll likely never use it. That's about to get ordered. Thanks a lot!

On 4/9/2016 at 7:06 PM, xBlizzDevious said:

Hello!

I've got a TV on the wall that I rarely use but would like to and I have an auxiliary monitor on my desk. I also run 3 main monitors - and because of this, I can't connect all of the screens to my Nvidia GPU and duplicate because Nvidia seem to think that 4 screens is enough. My old AMD GPU was able to handle 5 screens no problem.

Anyway, I'm getting side-tracked. What I want, is to have an HDMI cable come from my GPU to my AVR, then from that to a splitter that leads to my TV and my secondary monitor.

I've had a quick look on Amazon and have found a few options but there are several reviews that say they aren't great on each of these items, along with several that say they're good. Are there any particular devices that you've used and would recommend? I'd prefer to get something that supports 4K as although I don't use it yet, I likely will in the future.

Does your card have DP out? If so get one of the club 3d MST hubs. http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/multi-stream-transport-mst-hub-hdmi-1-3.html

That hub does DP to 3x Active HDMI.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 hour ago, Scruffy90 said:

Does your card have DP out? If so get one of the club 3d MST hubs. http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/multi-stream-transport-mst-hub-hdmi-1-3.html

That hub does DP to 3x Active HDMI.

Thanks for the input, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I used one my old MST hub. It's a limit put on Nvidia GPUs that means I can only display to 4 displays at once. It's not a limit because of the number of physical connectors.

1 hour ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Thanks for the input, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I used one my old MST hub. It's a limit put on Nvidia GPUs that means I can only display to 4 displays at once. It's not a limit because of the number of physical connectors.

Ahh, should've read more carefully. Sorry. An alternative, which would involve getting a second gpu and running SLI, should allow you to use 5 in surround and 1 accesory display.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

That might give you a better idea, using the gpu that you have.

EDIT** You could also use a midrange card that is supported by the same set of drivers as your current GPU and use that to power accessory displays without needing to use SLI. So for example a 980ti and a 7xx card

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 hour ago, Scruffy90 said:

Ahh, should've read more carefully. Sorry. An alternative, which would involve getting a second gpu and running SLI, should allow you to use 5 in surround and 1 accesory display.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

That might give you a better idea, using the gpu that you have.

EDIT** You could also use a midrange card that is supported by the same set of drivers as your current GPU and use that to power accessory displays without needing to use SLI. So for example a 980ti and a 7xx card

Yeah, I know. 5 displays surround + 1 secondary would also be no use, unfortunately. I also mentioned using a secondary GPU for the other screens but due to compatibility reasons, I can't do that either - I have four AMD GPUs that would do just fine (though be a bit loud compared to the rest of the system) but the drivers wouldn't work.

That leaves only the option of an active splitter, unfortunately.