Overclocking i7-3820

Brendan

Currently i'm sitting on a Noctua NH-D14 for the cooling of the cpu and for the moment, i can only go to 4.625 GHZ.

If i try anything higher, say 4.7ghz, it won't even post and i have to reset CMOS.

I'm planning on buying a Kraken X60 and i was wondering if this would possibly improve my CPU performance and i was wondering if anyone who owns a i7-3820 could give me a few tips on how they overclocked it (to and beyond 4.626 ghz)

What board are you using to OC it? MSI, Asus, GB? I have mine at 4.75 Ghz 24/7 and 1.4 volt using the CPU strap at 125 mhz multiple at 38 and downclocking my memory. I have a Asus Sabertooth x79 board. The multiple limit is 43, but I found using the CPU strap much easier, but dont increment with 1 or 2, use the 100, 125, 150 and play with the multiple. Had mine at 5 Gz with a multiple of 40, but at 1.48 volt and I thought that was to much.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

i highly doubt it wont post because of the cpu cooler. it sounds like you've just found the limit of your chip or you need to bump up the voltage. i got my 3820 to 5.0 ghz stable no problem.

It can also be a motherboard issue. My Gigabyte board refused to get past POST when I tried overclocking my 3770k past 4.2 ghz. Then, after I grabbed the latest firmware version, since I hadn't updated that since I purchased the board, I was able to overclock well past 4.5 ghz no problem. I realize the chips here are different, but I think the motherboard firmware upgrade may be worth a try.

I updated the BIOS of my motherboard to the latest one already.

I'm using an Asrock Extreme 9 Mobo. \

What voltage should i run it at and what voltage should be the absolute cap?

I pushed it all the way to 1.45 volts and it still doesn't go over 4.625 ghz