Ok guys here is a list for a new build im doing for my personal rig. This is a preliminary list of parts because i will be upgrading most of it later on and adding watercooling as well! Because i have so many things to upgrade i will likely post two build logs in the build logs section. One of this list and one of the upgraded list. The theme (if you cant tell) is dark and dangerous...like a dungeon! 

Case: Rosewill Throne, Black

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4

CPU: Intel i5-2500k (will be upgraded to i7-3770k)

CPU Cooler: H80i

GPU: nVidia GTX 480 (old and soon to be upgraded to 7XX)

RAM: 8gb Corsair XMS3 @ 1600mHz (will be upgraded to 16gb of Vengeance @ 1866mHz)

PSU: XFX XXX PRO 650W 80+

HDDs: 500gb WD Blue and 250gb hitactchi

SSDs: (Soon to be added)

At some point a custom liquid cooling loop will be added to this build when all the upgrades are completed. I expect to use swiftech gear.

Tell me what you guys think and be sure to look for the build logs to come!

What will the build be used for and what is your budget also what is the basic theme of the dungeon

It will be a gaming/workstation. Im an engineering student so ill be gaming and doing other things such as CAD/CAE/Coding/etc. The theme is basically all black with red accent lighting. 

It will be a gaming/workstation. Im an engineering student so ill be gaming and doing other things such as CAD/CAE/Coding/etc. The theme is basically all black with red accent lighting. 

My suggestion for your build is

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1FgJA

I dont plan to change anything about the build, I am however looking for ideas for any case mods you guys think would be cool. I have seen the one from BS mods that is insane.

You want red accent lighting and you don't have CM Sickleflows in your build? Get some--especially for the H80i or at least for the case. The hydro series have loud stock coolers.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks WoodenMarker! That sounds like a good idea, the case comes with red LED lights included but i may look into getting some for the cooler.

Thanks WoodenMarker! That sounds like a good idea, the case comes with red LED lights included but i may look into getting some for the cooler.

The Rosewill Throne has loud stock fans. Sickleflows are whisper quiet. Replacing them would be a good idea.

The case uses a lot of 140mm fans so I'd recommend getting some Prolimatech Pros since Sickleflows are only 120m: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/prolimatech-case-fan-prorv14led

Fyi, the fan looks a lot less tacky and pretty slick in person especially with the leds.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Sounds pretty awesome! Im looking more in this build to have a milder red presence in the back of the case so that i dont over saturate the components in red. I think they look much better and mysterious when they are mostly black with a hint of red glow.

Just a little tip for your planned GPU upgrade: If you go NVidia or AMD R9-2XX, look at Gainward Phantom or Gigabyte Windforce 3X, those cards would be great for your color scheme.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Sounds pretty awesome! Im looking more in this build to have a milder red presence in the back of the case so that i dont over saturate the components in red. I think they look much better and mysterious when they are mostly black with a hint of red glow.

Nice idea--the Sickleflows should dim if you lower the fan speeds (which you should be doing anyway).

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Whoa never heard of Gainward before but those cards look sick! Are they available in the U.S.?

Just a little tip for your planned GPU upgrade: If you go NVidia or AMD R9-2XX, look at Gainward Phantom or Gigabyte Windforce 3X, those cards would be great for your color scheme.

Whoa never heard of Gainward before but those cards look sick! Are they available in the U.S.?

Too bad but no :(. But if you don't mind you can order it from UK. It also has swappable fans, it would look awesome if you could put some backlit fans in there :o

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Too bad but no :(. But if you don't mind you can order it from UK. It also has swappable fans, it would look awesome if you could put some backlit fans in there :o

Ugghhh i hate dealing with oversees shipping!!! grrr oh well. I was also looking at ASUS cards which fit the scheme quite well i think

Ugghhh i hate dealing with oversees shipping!!! grrr oh well. I was also looking at ASUS cards which fit the scheme quite well i think

Msi TwinFrozr looks better imo.

Msi TwinFrozr looks better imo.

MSI would also not be out of the question, however i think many reviewers including Linus are getting much better performance out of the ASUS card.