New Build MSI Big Bang Xpower II + Intel 4930K FF error code

Hi guys, a friend of mine just put together his new computer and when he powers it up it doesn't boot but the motherboard MSI Big Bang Xpower II displays the error code FF on the onboard lcd.

My question for you is: Does The MSI Big Bang Xpower II need a bios upgrade for it to work with the 4930K or is it another problem that's causing the FF error code?

We checked the cables and connections cleared the cmos and still get the FF error.

Intel Q9300

Please keep us posted with any updates, I have this mobo and was planning on purchasing this CPU as well. Thanks!  ;)

We are searching for local it service to take the motherboard so they can test it with an older Socket 2011 CPU and update the bios, we will keep you posted if that works. 

Intel Q9300

@Hitbox - I looked at the official Big Bang Xpower II owner's club thread on overclock.net (http://www.overclock.net/t/1238737/official-msi-big-bang-xpower-ii-owners-club-overclocking-thread/610), and as per page 62, someone actually called MSI and asked if this cpu was supported, and was told to just grab the latest bios (updated today, 9/18), which can be found here: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower-II.html#/?div=BIOS

Perhaps this is a more reasonable approach than taking the mobo to some IT service? All the pieces seem to be there.

Thanks for the tip Dane but how is he going to flash the new bios if the motherboard does not boot, no video, the FF code is displayed on the onboard led. Any other sugestions are welcome.

Intel Q9300

As I haven't completed my build, I haven't even booted yet... but I plan on calling MSI at some point to discuss my options and/or have them send me a new ROM chip with the latest BIOS. That seems much easier than sending the entire board out or finding someone with a compatible cpu in order to flash the BIOS myself.

At any rate, keep us posted with any progress... I'll have to do this at some point, so it would be a great help to hear your solution.

anyone else with this motherboard and cpu build? still getting FF and no video, it would be nice to see some other opinions

Intel Q9300

• 2 weeks later...

Solved! Mounted a Intel 3820K on the motherboard and it booted succesfully, after that updated the bios to the latest version 2.4 and after that it works with the 4930k ! No more FF's ! By the way the bios on the motherboard was the oldest one. From what i read the Big Bang Xpower II should support the 4930K from bios 2.3 and newer. Thanks for the sugestions.

Intel Q9300

Thanks for the followup!

Where did you happen to find a 3820 as a donor?

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem and the best thing to do if you dont have any sandy bridge e cpu is to buy a bios chip with the latest bios version from ebay. Thats what I did and then i was able to boot.