Best time to buy price-wise? (wait for January sales?)

Stark_Source

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just a quick question around prices when building a rig, and choosing the best time to buy parts. This is my first effort, so I'm not sure what the deal is with best places to buy, and best times to get a good deal.

I’m going to build a rig sometime between now and January 2014, and I’m wondering what you think. Should I wait till January before buying? Are there usually sales or special offers in January when it comes to PC parts? If January is cheaper, how much am I likely to save? 10%? 20%?

I’ve been advised to hold off buying my GPU at least, until the 9000 series release, as this will likely result in a drop in price for older GPUs, and/or offer me a better card for the same price as what I’m planning. But, we’ll have to wait for proper benchmarking to find that out.

I’ve also included the build, for you perusal (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/stark_source/saved/2nYX). Any feedback on it would also be appreciated, it’s strengths and weaknesses, and whether you have any suggestions. It’s for gaming, HD recording (for YouTube), and potentially streaming on Twitch. £1500 budget. I was originally planning on going Intel Ivy-Bridge i5 3570K, but have since, under advisement, changed my mind to AMD.  

John

CPU: AMD FX-8350 █ MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ █ FAN: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM █ RAM: Ballitix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 █ GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB █ SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM █ PSU: EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V █ Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tow Monitor: Dell P2414H 23.8"

im not so sure about the power supply, try to get a corsair, seasonic, antec power supply, and 700 watt should be watt you need.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

depends on your current build. whenever it cant play games at settings you prefer and FPS, then go ahead and buy new rig.

at least wait for new amd gpus yes

wait until christmas or newyear. you get more than 25% off on each product.!

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

if your not in a rush just wait for the sales and buy components as you go. for example the best time to buy a graphics card would be straight after the amd 9000 series (or whatever stupid naming scheme equivelent is).

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

if your not in a rush just wait for the sales and buy components as you go. for example the best time to buy a graphics card would be straight after the amd 9000 series (or whatever stupid naming scheme equivelent is).

Are there any sites giving info on special offers or sales?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 █ MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ █ FAN: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM █ RAM: Ballitix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 █ GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB █ SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM █ PSU: EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V █ Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tow Monitor: Dell P2414H 23.8"

Are there any sites giving info on special offers or sales?

not really you just need to keep an eye out on websites, they normally publish their deals on the homepage or have a specific sales page.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just a quick question around prices when building a rig, and choosing the best time to buy parts. This is my first effort, so I'm not sure what the deal is with best places to buy, and best times to get a good deal.

I’m going to build a rig sometime between now and January 2014, and I’m wondering what you think. Should I wait till January before buying? Are there usually sales or special offers in January when it comes to PC parts? If January is cheaper, how much am I likely to save? 10%? 20%?

I’ve been advised to hold off buying my GPU at least, until the 9000 series release, as this will likely result in a drop in price for older GPUs, and/or offer me a better card for the same price as what I’m planning. But, we’ll have to wait for proper benchmarking to find that out.

I’ve also included the build, for you perusal (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/stark_source/saved/2nYX). Any feedback on it would also be appreciated, it’s strengths and weaknesses, and whether you have any suggestions. It’s for gaming, HD recording (for YouTube), and potentially streaming on Twitch. £1500 budget. I was originally planning on going Intel Ivy-Bridge i5 3570K, but have since, under advisement, changed my mind to AMD.  

John

Fx 8350 is great for streaming. But only you know what you need,if you really need an water cooling or can get hyper 212? Or get cheaper case and 650w psu and 7970ghz instead of 7970?

Things will be cheaper as new things come out.

Come back to us a day or two before you buy because parts and prices do change frequently and your build should revolve around those prices.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.