Should I upgrade from gtx 950 to r9 280x?

JakeLong
Go to solution Solved by Cpt Buzzkill,

OP basicly THE MAX you will see is maybe 20 fps.... so as you said 10-15 fps ... no point, you might aswell stick with ur system and wait a year to see what new gpus come out and get like 1070 or something

how much powerful a r9 280x more than a gtx 950? I mean I have a 950 and I overclocked it at 1274 core clock and 1978 mem clock. Should I upgrade to r9 280x? If a r9 280x is only better than 950 for a few fps like 10-15 fps then I dont want to upgrade at all....really need some advice
here is my OCed 950 : 23j.png

If it wont cost you anything and the 280x has warranty from MSI or XFX then yes you should.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Is that even an upgrade? Well just sell the 950 and get a 970. Or R9 390

1 minute ago, Xenift said:

Is that even an upgrade? Well just sell the 950 and get a 970. Or R9 390

It is. But not a very big one. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The R9 280x technically has better specs. The NVIDIA cards have higher clocks, but GPU over clocking is totally possible. Another thing is to look at your power supply, AMD cards are a little more hungry.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-950

This should show you a more direct comparison. I would say do the upgrade if you have the cash, or wait and just get a 380X if you are getting more cash. 300 series cards are mostly refreshes but have newer technologies and are pretty good.

For 280x's I suggest getting an XFX, Sapphire, or MSI card.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

well I am currently using a PSU 500w plus bronze so I think I have to spend a little more to buy a new PSU...that's my concern about this "upgrade"...i have been searching for many benchmarks between a 950 and r9 280x but still haven't found any yet....if anyone can give me a benchmark or something relevant then I wil really really appreciated..

1 minute ago, JakeLong said:

well I am currently using a PSU 500w plus bronze so I think I have to spend a little more to buy a new PSU...that's my concern about this "upgrade"...i have been searching for many benchmarks between a 950 and r9 280x but still haven't found any yet....if anyone can give me a benchmark or something relevant then I wil really really appreciated..

R9 280X is faster or the same as R9 380 which is 10-15% faster itself than a GTX 960. So you can expect 10-15FPS increase which is quite a bit. 500W PSU is totally fine for a 280X so unless it isn't crap like a CX500 you're good.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+R9+280X/review

here is some stuff. Check out both links, especially the first

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

OP basicly THE MAX you will see is maybe 20 fps.... so as you said 10-15 fps ... no point, you might aswell stick with ur system and wait a year to see what new gpus come out and get like 1070 or something

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

R9 280X is faster or the same as R9 380 which is 10-15% faster itself than a GTX 960. So you can expect 10-15FPS increase which is quite a bit. 500W PSU is totally fine for a 280X so unless it isn't crap like a CX500 you're good.

my PSU is a Andyson M5 500W plus bronze. Here is the link.I'm from Vietnam so I dont think this PSU Andyson is really famous so I just give you the link for you for detail
http://tandoanh.vn/san-pham/4292/andyson-m5-500w-japan-cap-single-rail---80-plus-bronze-psu.html

Just now, Cpt Buzzkill said:

ok then...thanks for your advice..^^..this 950 is my upgrade from my 7770 so I think I'm quite satisfied with this upgrade but sometime I get greedy about upgrading more and more so I now stuck at between selling this 950 to go to r9 280x...:D..

1 minute ago, JakeLong said:

ok then...thanks for your advice..^^..this 950 is my upgrade from my 7770 so I think I'm quite satisfied with this upgrade but sometime I get greedy about upgrading more and more so I now stuck at between selling this 950 to go to r9 280x...:D..

I know the feeling brother. i am greedy to go 970 instead of 960 but u know when money is a thing, you have to justify it, and i cant justify 970 when i can perfectly fine game on 960.

so probably you will end up doing what i am going to just save up, and in 1-2 years time spend dobble then what you spend on 950 and get AMAZING performance. Thats ofc just my opinion sssoo yeh :3

Just now, Cpt Buzzkill said:

I know the feeling brother. i am greedy to go 970 instead of 960 but u know when money is a thing, you have to justify it, and i cant justify 970 when i can perfectly fine game on 960.

so probably you will end up doing what i am going to just save up, and in 1-2 years time spend dobble then what you spend on 950 and get AMAZING performance. Thats ofc just my opinion sssoo yeh :3

hahaha...finally ..:v..ok then my friend..REALLY thanks for your advice...so I will try to save the money for further upgrade...beside this story about 2 vga . I'm planning to switch back to AMD in the future becuz of some rumor about DX 12. Many people say that AMD will beat Nvidia in future gaming thanks to the dx 12. 

3 minutes ago, JakeLong said:

hahaha...finally ..:v..ok then my friend..REALLY thanks for your advice...so I will try to save the money for further upgrade...beside this story about 2 vga . I'm planning to switch back to AMD in the future becuz of some rumor about DX 12. Many people say that AMD will beat Nvidia in future gaming thanks to the dx 12. 

Oh yeh ! defo dont get me wrong i am not AMD hater, both companies have their own place, and to be honest with you i AM nvidia fan BUT i am praying thet polaris and Zen will be better then intel-nvidia. I LOVE a good fight and i also love to see the underdog Sh!ting on top guys.

oh yeah...me too..both companies have their own advantages....so let's wait for the answer in the future..right now thanks for your help again...:D..

I had 2 280Xs, both died(well, first one was second/third hand miner card, but the second had bios problems)

This experience almost destroyed my trust in AMD and Sapphire(they were Toxics, the best model)

On 11/2/2016 at 1:30 AM, Random_guy_on_the_internet said:

I had 2 280Xs, both died(well, first one was second/third hand miner card, but the second had bios problems)

This experience almost destroyed my trust in AMD and Sapphire(they were Toxics, the best model)

miner card is also a concern to me cuz I'm planning to buy a 2nd 280x which I'm afraid that might be used for bit mining.

Or just do as I did and sli 2 950s. I got 2 evga 950s ftw editions and I can go toe to toe with a Evga GTS 970 ftw+ edition, fps wise. Not saying its a good choice with that psu but its an option. For SLI all you need is a good 500watt psu but overclocking will be out the question. Not saying you should do it because a single better gpu is better. I only did it because I can, I wanted too, and WHY NOT?

Also would need 2 8 pin pci-e connectors for the cards.