Modified stock FX-8350 cooler, reverse airflow, 4.6GHz OC

Cossack-HD

So, I bought used Crosshair V Formula, FX-8350 and threw that stuff into a slim 4U server rack case.

The stock cooler was noisey and kept the temperatures of  the CPU at about 66 degrees (chip surface sensor) in stock with 4.1GHz turbo core under heavy load.

My friend found a 120 to 70mm fan adapter for the stock cooler. He 3D printed it for me.

http://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/d0/db/ec/29/84/fan_converter_120-70_AMD_Stock_CPUCooler_preview_featured.jpg

I installed a 120mm fan on top of the adapter, with airflow directed towards the CPU and got higher temperatures than with stock cooler.

Then I flipped the fan upside down to draw the air up from the heatsink (reverse airflow) and got instant improvement both in temps and noise level compared to the stock cooler. That also made the mobo VRM like 10 degrees cooler since the heatsinks were now cooled by fresh air coming out from outside (on the contrary of being cooled by warm air coming out of the CPU heatsink with normal airflow).

Now I successfully overclocked the FX-8350 to 4.6 GHz at 1.45 volts, and with all fans on max RPM I have 58 degrees C on CPU surface sensor and 68 degrees C on inner CPU sensor. At 4.6 GHz, under load, with stock heatsink.

ca4586e30c.jpg

f50330e15f.jpg

What do you guys think?

Nice. If I ever ghetto my stock FX8350 cooler for my QX6850 (hotter than an FX8350), I'll know how to mod it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

BTW, the stock cooler was running at 3500 RPM at stock freqs, while the 120mm fan is running at mid 1800RPM (highest possible) with the 4.6 OC under heavy load.

The 120mm fan I use now has 7 blades, and I had to remove the fan's own thermal sensor and short circuit the sensor wires in order to get 400RPM rise (originally it was 1400RPM at "100%").

Note! Do not use low noise case fans for CPU cooling like this, they don't give enough pressure! I used "Arctic Cooling F12 PWM 120mm Fan Low Noise" (though with airflow directed towards the heatsink) and I had severe rise in CPU temps. The server case fan I got with the S411 server rack worked much better for the CPU.

Nice. I have a friend with the 6 core, and he tried a more ghetto approach to modify his stock cooler. It did not work at all lol. Thing is Dolly Parton tits bro.

11 minutes ago, Cossack-HD said:

BTW, the stock cooler was running at 3500 RPM at stock freqs, while the 120mm fan is running at mid 1800RPM (highest possible) with the 4.6 OC under heavy load.

The 120mm fan I use now has 7 blades, and I had to remove the fan's own thermal sensor and short circuit the sensor wires in order to get 400RPM rise (originally it was 1400RPM at "100%").

Note! Do not use low noise case fans for CPU cooling like this, they don't give enough pressure! I used "Arctic Cooling F12 PWM 120mm Fan Low Noise" (though with airflow directed towards the heatsink) and I had severe rise in CPU temps. The server case fan I got with the S411 server rack worked much better for the CPU.

I'd just use the 120mm fan that came with my Seidon 120V.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I bought a Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM fan to replace the older ghetto 120mm fan, now I can overclock to stable 4.6 GHz, temperatures didn't exceed 63 degrees CPU or 68 on chip - but this time I ran ultra violent CPU load with GTA V and WinRar benchmark in background, which gave unrealistic 95%+ CPU load.

Temps drop dramatically (five+ degrees) if I let the fan spin at crazy 2800 RPM, but it gets so noisey and there's no benifit. Sure, I could try 4.8 GHz overclock with high fan RPM, but I feel like 4% extra performance won't be worth 146% higher noise level.