Weird clicking sound coming from my PC

Hedelmamies84

Hello everyone!

I have noticed a weird clicking noise coming from my PC which I am worried of.

I read some topics from google but they just did not give me the right answer.

First I thought that it would be my HDD, so I went and replaced my three year old Seagate Barracuda to a brand new WD black 1TB HDD.

I plugged in the new HDD and booted up my PC and after a bit of idling the sound was back.

I am REALLY worried what is wrong with my PC.

I read some topics from the internet and they say that it could be the PSU.

I think for most likely it is NOT the PSU because it is around 6 months old Cooler Master V650 semi modular 650 watt 80 plus GOLD powersupply.

Only part in my PC that I think is older than 7 months is my CPU cooler that I got from my friend.

CPU cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

That CPU cooler has two fans on it so I was thinking could one of the two or both be making that ANNOYING clicking sound what makes me SO worried.

This is stressing me SO BAD so I hope someone would help me.

With best regards, Hedelmamies84

Check if any cables are hitting fan blades while they're spinning, it could be causing the sound.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

You have a mini Alien inside your case. RIP.

;):P:D

It could easily be the fans. I would try swapping out the fans with a new fan, one-by-one, and see if the problem persists.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

do the fans have things in, basically, take out the gpu and unplug ALL the fans even the cpu ones, and leave it to boot (dont worry about the heat, as long as you dont play games or run benchmarks it will be ok for a short time) and see if the sound is there if it is, we can rule out most of the components and it could be the PSU, however if it doesnt come back then slowly start adding components till it returns then you can narrow down the source of the problem

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

i would start unplugging stuff and then look if the noice is gone. here's the order in which i would go:

speakers/headphones, motherboard speaker, hdd, individual fans, graphics card and then pretty much anything you still have in there apart from the psu and the power button

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Can you record some sound?

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Thanks for the answers everybody! I will start to investigate when I have the time! :D

I could try to record some audio when I have the time. Tomorrow I think. :)

Check if any cables are hitting fan blades while they're spinning, it could be causing the sound.

It could easily be the fans. I would try swapping out the fans with a new fan, one-by-one, and see if the problem persists.

do the fans have things in, basically, take out the gpu and unplug ALL the fans even the cpu ones, and leave it to boot (dont worry about the heat, as long as you dont play games or run benchmarks it will be ok for a short time) and see if the sound is there if it is, we can rule out most of the components and it could be the PSU, however if it doesnt come back then slowly start adding components till it returns then you can narrow down the source of the problem

i would start unplugging stuff and then look if the noice is gone. here's the order in which i would go:

speakers/headphones, motherboard speaker, hdd, individual fans, graphics card and then pretty much anything you still have in there apart from the psu and the power button

I will do that tomorrow because then I will have some time. I will report back here if it worked or not! :)

And sorry if I use this quote system wrong because I am not the best doing these kind of topic things. :D

Hey guys! I have a little update.

The sound that is coming from my PC is more of a ticking than clicking sound.

Also I have noticed the sound occurs always after playing a game or doing some other intensive task.

Like I was running Unigine Valley benchmark a while ago and my PC ticked a few times.

Then I tested playing The Witcher 3 for a while and after I stopped the game the ticking started

I will start removing the components one by one in a little bit but how should I do that?

When I remove the components let's say my GPU or my HDD do I let my computer to boot up to Windows or just the bios?

I have integrated graphics on my CPU so I could use that to boot to WIndows environment right ?

So those will be my updated questions and news.

Hey guys! I have a little update.

The sound that is coming from my PC is more of a ticking than clicking sound.

Also I have noticed the sound occurs always after playing a game or doing some other intensive task.

Like I was running Unigine Valley benchmark a while ago and my PC ticked a few times.

Then I tested playing The Witcher 3 for a while and after I stopped the game the ticking started

I will start removing the components one by one in a little bit but how should I do that?

When I remove the components let's say my GPU or my HDD do I let my computer to boot up to Windows or just the bios?

I have integrated graphics on my CPU so I could use that to boot to WIndows environment right ?

So those will be my updated questions and news.

does the computer do it at idle ? if it doesnt then it may be somthing with the gpu. if it does it at idle then do what you said about booting into the bios

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

does the computer do it at idle ? if it doesnt then it may be somthing with the gpu. if it does it at idle then do what you said about booting into the bios

Hello!

Yes my PC does it on idle aswell. it is actually doing it right now when I am writing this.

Most of the time the ticking noise comes when I quit some intensive task.

Do you have a stock AMD/Intel cooler?

Try with that and tell us the results

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Do you have a stock AMD/Intel cooler?

Try with that and tell us the results

Yeah I have one. I could try that aswell.

Could be the PSU happened to me before and I replaced it through warranty

I hope I don't need to do that because that process could take a while.

Hey bro,

Check if any of your cables within the PC are coming into contact with any of the fans or if the fans are scraping on anything if not I would take the parts out individually and check if there okay and put them back in again.

Hopefully this helps towards your problem! :D

Hey bro,

Check if any of your cables within the PC are coming into contact with any of the fans or if the fans are scraping on anything if not I would take the parts out individually and check if there okay and put them back in again.

Hopefully this helps towards your problem! :D

Hello again guys!

I finally have some time to mess up with my system a bit.

You guys said that I could start unplug stuff one by one, but I was wondering couldn't I just test the system with another PSU I have lying around which is the Corsair CX 500M.

Then I would be able to tell right away if the problem is the PSU. Right?

Reason to this is because if I start unplugging stuff one by one let's say like the fans for example, my system actually needs to be ON for some time in order the sound to occur. 

And BTW the sound is more of a SLOW ticking which I may have not be telling the correct way. :D

Sorry for this problem taking some of your time but I REALLY appreciate all the help all of you are giving to me! :)

Hello again guys!

I finally have some time to mess up with my system a bit.

You guys said that I could start unplug stuff one by one, but I was wondering couldn't I just test the system with another PSU I have lying around which is the Corsair CX 500M.

Then I would be able to tell right away if the problem is the PSU. Right?

Reason to this is because if I start unplugging stuff one by one let's say like the fans for example, my system actually needs to be ON for some time in order the sound to occur. 

And BTW the sound is more of a SLOW ticking which I may have not be telling the correct way. :D

Sorry for this problem taking some of your time but I REALLY appreciate all the help all of you are giving to me! :)

How slow is slow? Like, are we talking a couple seconds between ticks? More?

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

How slow is slow? Like, are we talking a couple seconds between ticks? More?

The ticking isn't continuous. It is like three ticks and then a small break and then again three ticks and a small break. The break is like few seconds.

But the ticking changes from time to time but most of the time it is like I described.

BTW it is like high pitched tick.

The ticking isn't continuous. It is like three ticks and then a small break and then again three ticks and a small break. The break is like few seconds.

But the ticking changes from time to time but most of the time it is like I described.

BTW it is like high pitched tick.

That sounds to me like the search arm in a bad HDD. Have you run any kind of health check/benchmarks on the HDD yet? If not, download HDTune and run both the benchmark, health check, and error scan (the error scan will take a while, especially if it's a large capacity HDD). Take a screen shot of the benchmarking results and error scan screens and post it here so I can look at it.

END OF LINE

BTW it is like high pitched thick

that sounds like a badly partitioned hdd or a really fragmented one.

how many partitions do you have on it?

and how large?

That sounds to me like the search arm in a bad HDD. Have you run any kind of health check/benchmarks on the HDD yet? If not, download HDTune and run both the benchmark, health check, and error scan (the error scan will take a while, especially if it's a large capacity HDD). Take a screen shot of the benchmarking results and error scan screens and post it here so I can look at it.

No i haven't run any yet with this new HDD.

I will do that in a little bit and post the results here.

that sounds like a badly partitioned hdd or a really fragmented one.

how many partitions do you have on it?

and how large?

It is brand new WD BLACK 1TB and I have only my games installed on it which takes about 300 GB of space. I haven't myself done any partitions.

There are the results.