Weird clicking sound coming from my PC

Hedelmamies84

That sounds to me like the search arm in a bad HDD. Have you run any kind of health check/benchmarks on the HDD yet? If not, download HDTune and run both the benchmark, health check, and error scan (the error scan will take a while, especially if it's a large capacity HDD). Take a screen shot of the benchmarking results and error scan screens and post it here so I can look at it.

Ouh the pictures didn't save. :D Well I need to try again ;D

That sounds to me like the search arm in a bad HDD. Have you run any kind of health check/benchmarks on the HDD yet? If not, download HDTune and run both the benchmark, health check, and error scan (the error scan will take a while, especially if it's a large capacity HDD). Take a screen shot of the benchmarking results and error scan screens and post it here so I can look at it.

There are the results.

Sorry if the picture is is kinda unclear. I have no idea what happended there. :D

post-247819-0-62034100-1452616522_thumb.

There are the results.

Sorry if the picture is is kinda unclear. I have no idea what happended there. :D

Hmm..... Everything looks fine there... There were no flags on the Health report?

Try this: While the computer is running, very carefully, lightly rest your fingers on top of the HDD and see if you can feel anything like a light tap that coincides with the clicking noise. If you have access to an SSD, swapping it out could help isolate whether or not the HDD is the issue.

I suspect it is the HDD is because, in all my experiences, an HDD having seek issues with cause the platter arm to rhythmically click back and forth at a slow interval. If it was a fan causing the issue it would be much faster, more of a buzz or steady vibration, rather than a rhythmic clicking.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Hmm..... Everything looks fine there... There were no flags on the Health report?

Try this: While the computer is running, very carefully, lightly rest your fingers on top of the HDD and see if you can feel anything like a light tap that coincides with the clicking noise. If you have access to an SSD, swapping it out could help isolate whether or not the HDD is the issue.

I suspect it is the HDD is because, in all my experiences, an HDD having seek issues with cause the platter arm to rhythmically click back and forth at a slow interval. If it was a fan causing the issue it would be much faster, more of a buzz or steady vibration, rather than a rhythmic clicking.

I checked my health status and and it seemed to be ok. BTW I have an SSD as my bootdrive so access to and SSD is easy.

And yeah I will do that what you suggested. 

Thanks for your time again!

I will report you back with the results. :)

Hello!

Sorry that there has been a while messaging back to this thread.

I have noticed that the ticking sound is gone I think.

I haven't heard it for a while so I haven't been able to do that what you suggested.

I think that only thing I have done is that I have moved the SATA power connector position on my modular powersupply

I have the Cooler Master V650 semimodular 80 plus gold PSU, so I can move the SATA and MOLEX powerconnectors to different positions.

Even before I did that I moved the SATA power cable to different connection on my PSU I think the ticking noise decreased a bit.

I don't know if I STILL should we worried or what.

With best regards, Hedelmamies84

Hello!

Sorry that there has been a while messaging back to this thread.

I have noticed that the ticking sound is gone I think.

I haven't heard it for a while so I haven't been able to do that what you suggested.

I think that only thing I have done is that I have moved the SATA power connector position on my modular powersupply

I have the Cooler Master V650 semimodular 80 plus gold PSU, so I can move the SATA and MOLEX powerconnectors to different positions.

Even before I did that I moved the SATA power cable to different connection on my PSU I think the ticking noise decreased a bit.

I don't know if I STILL should we worried or what.

With best regards, Hedelmamies84

Well, if it's not doing it any more then there's not much you can do to figure out what was causing it. I would say that for now you don't need to worry about it, but just keep it In mind and if it starts up again then see what you can do to locate the noise source.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.