Trojan Virus

Go to solution Solved by Punished07,

If possible backup important files onto dropbox, external drive etc. then reinstall your OS

Yes, this is my suggestion. Depending on where the infected files are, probably your OS drive, format and re install the OS. You could also just do a repair but for me its just as simple to do either.

Recently my computer had 2 random power losses. Today when I logged in, I got Trojan warnings. My computer was also slower (generally speaking).I had installed McAfee a while back and was getting notices that it was quarantining the files. I plan to delete the files soon. To make sure my PC is clean, are there any other steps or softwares I should get? I don't know if I can completely trust McAfee to get rid of this malware.

FX 4100 @ 4200, MSI GTX 660, CX430, 1TB Barracuda, 320gb Spinpoint, Hyper 212,  MSI 970, 500R, 8GB RAM

get some other anti virus software just to make sure

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

If they are system files, you could do an in place install of windows to reinstall your os while keeping your files. Run sfc /scannow in an elevated cmd to check your system files' integrity.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If they are system files, you could do an in place install of windows to reinstall your os while keeping your files. Run sfc /scannow in an elevated cmd to check your system files' integrity.

Agreed. Move what files you want to keep to a separate drive and do a fresh install of your OS. That is usually faster, less frustrating, WILL fix the problem.

CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: MSI 970A-G46 RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 GPU: EVGA 560ti SLI Case: Corsair 300R Cooler: Corsair H60 - push pull CM Excaliber SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB HDD: 1TB Hitachi, 4TB Seagate PSU: Corsair TX650V2

So drop my important files into my other HDD and re-partition the drive?

FX 4100 @ 4200, MSI GTX 660, CX430, 1TB Barracuda, 320gb Spinpoint, Hyper 212,  MSI 970, 500R, 8GB RAM

This will keep all your programs and files but it is also best to backup your important files before doing this. I don't think you have to re-partition the drive: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I see you have 2 HDDs. What is your setup, are either of them partitioned or are they full sized in relation to the capacity, how many drives show under "My Computer"? Is your 320 you OS drive and the 1tb storage?

CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: MSI 970A-G46 RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 GPU: EVGA 560ti SLI Case: Corsair 300R Cooler: Corsair H60 - push pull CM Excaliber SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB HDD: 1TB Hitachi, 4TB Seagate PSU: Corsair TX650V2

My 320 was my only drive for a while so i have my OS some files, and some games. My 1TB is my main storage drive and its 70% empty.

This will keep all your programs and files but it is also best to backup your important files before doing this. I don't think you have to re-partition the drive: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Oh. So I backup important files and perform a repair install. If I don't repartition the drive, wouldn't the Trojan virus still be implanted in the saved files? (sorry if I'm not making sense. I have a very limited knowledge in operating systems and stuff like this)

If possible backup important files onto dropbox, external drive etc. then reinstall your OS

Yes, this is my suggestion. Depending on where the infected files are, probably your OS drive, format and re install the OS. You could also just do a repair but for me its just as simple to do either.

ok. thanks. I'll probably re-partition the drive after moving things like Steam. Thanks. Plus, now i can get rid of mcafee.

When I log in now, i gett a white screen with my mouse cursor. I can't transfer any files now. I dont want to have any problems reinstalling steam, and i have games on my second hard drive. Should I reformat both drives?

I wouldn't worry about Steam you can always download your games again. If you have formatted your OS drive I wouldn't format the other unless problems persist after you reinstall the OS. Have you installed an OS before? If not I can walk you through it.

no, I know how. Thanks for your help! Fixed this in a day!