CS:GO 144hz Fullscreen or Windowed Borderless for full 144hz

J4NdRo
Go to solution Solved by BatteryAziz,

no, it looks like fullscreen is 144hz and windowed borderless is 60hz

Disable aero for csgo.exe. go to properties > compatibility > check "disable desktop composition".

Aero forces triple buffered vsync in WDM in borderless window mode which can act wonky especially on multi monitor setups. Probably what you're seeing now is even though your monitor is at 144hz and the game is reporting 300+ fps, the game window is being capped at a stuttery 60fps.

For games like csgo fullscreen is always preferred over borderless window since the extra hop in WDM always adds a bit of input latency.

Hey Guys, I've been spending the last two nights on google trying to find out whether CS:GO limits the FPS that's actually displayed on your monitor when you go into windowed borderless. I still struggle to see the difference between 144hz and 60 hz that well. I have it on fullscreen at the moment, but it's annoying because I have multiple monitors and it takes 15 seconds to alt-tab back into the game. Here's what I've already tried to see how much is actually being shown on my monitor. 1. just looking at the FPS (that doesn't work because it shows how much FPS is being rendered not how much is being shown on your monitor. 2. Enabled all types of V sync (that didn't change the FPS and still went way beyond 144hz). The monitor is 144hz for sure, I checked in the Nvidia control panel and testufo.com. Thanks!

Windowed Borderless is the obvious option, the only reason to use Fullscreen is if you're using a different resolution that to that of your monitors default. 

Windowed Borderless will have no effect on your refresh rate or fps. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

idk guys, fullscreen looks like it's smoother

Disable aero for csgo.exe. go to properties > compatibility > check "disable desktop composition".

Aero forces triple buffered vsync in WDM in borderless window mode which can act wonky especially on multi monitor setups. Probably what you're seeing now is even though your monitor is at 144hz and the game is reporting 300+ fps, the game window is being capped at a stuttery 60fps.

For games like csgo fullscreen is always preferred over borderless window since the extra hop in WDM always adds a bit of input latency.

Fullscreen will be smoother and perform better. Not to mention the few problems you will have with windowed mode. 

pls pls pls don't play a game in windowed mode unless its a strategy game pls pls pls 

Borderless has input lag.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.