Will this work ?

MadManMarsBar

Ok so im upgrading my CPU and motherboard in two weeks and i want to do a fresh install but i have so many games on my HDD i dont really wanna spend days installing games , so my question is can i just take out all my HDD's and 'liberate my bros spare HDD and use just that to install windows then when its installed can i put my old HDD's back in without any problems ?

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

You can leave it in and just have a separate drive with your OS on it, just make sure you format the right drive.

yea i forgot to mention that my OS and 90% of my games are  on the same HDD

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

You can leave it in and just have a separate drive with your OS on it, just make sure you format the right drive.

Yes. It's better if you disconnect the drive you don't want to format just in case

Disconnect the drive, you can leave it in the case, otherwise windows has been known to put system files on otehr drives, and when you mess with these other drives you get windows that is broken.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

You'll have to tell steam/origin to install the games back onto the location where the games are saved and it will spend a couple of minutes making a couple of changes and validating the files, but won't redownload the whole games. It will look like it's downloading stuff, but it's just checking you have all the files already installed. As others have said, remove the drives during the windows installation process to prevent windows messing stuff up. You will then be safe to delete <new drive letter>\Windows and <">\Program Data as well as App Data unless there's anything saved there (like saved games) that you want to recover. Save games won't automatically be transferred, you'll need to find them (scattered around windows in Users\Name\Documents, Users\Name and Users\Name\AppData among other places) and place them in the equivalent place on your new installation.

HTTP/2 203

It takes you days...... You work slow.
Take the time to do it right the first time.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz