Easy explanation of Adaptive Voltage on ASUS ROG Boards and the i7 6700k?

So I'm having trouble figuring out how the Adaptive Voltage works.

I found a so far stable Manual Voltage overclock of my 6700k @ 4.7GHz with core voltage set to 1.290V Manual Mode, which resulted in 1.311ish actual voltage in the end.

Now I thought, using that in Adaptive Voltage would be the way to go, I did so, I set the adaptive core voltage to the above 1.290V and the Offset to "-" and 0.001V

Resulted in my CPU Voltage going crazy high and Core Temps instantly rising.

Could not read it fast enough, but the value was red in AI Suite, so it probably wasn't good

So to prevent damage I just shut it down and reset my voltages.

So what am i doing wrong?

I felt like its the right approach, how could the voltage go that high? 

See my signature for cooler & Mainboard info

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

CPU: i7 6700k (@4.7GHz) RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666MHz Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX860i FanCont: Lamptron FC5v2
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech G502 / Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown SSD: OCZ Vector 150 120GB HDD: 15TB WD Red NAS

I'm away from my PC right now, but I'm pulling 4.8GHz @ 1.37V. I could probably go to 4.9, but I don't need that many Jiggahertz.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

For adaptive mode you can't do stress testing or it will drive voltages higher than your set limits. In general setting the base voltage to what the voltage the chips normally runs at and add on offset as the total voltage when adding up the base and offset.

Your method does work and I have heard of others doing this but is a less common way I see voltages done.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Welcome to the Forums!

For adaptive mode you can't do stress testing or it will drive voltages higher than your set limits. In general setting the base voltage to what the voltage the chips normally runs at and add on offset as the total voltage when adding up the base and offset.

Your method does work and I have heard of others doing this but is a less common way I see voltages done.

Does offset mode allow the Voltage to go down to a minimum when the clock does so? Because logically i do not want my CPU to run constantly at the high voltage.

And that still doesn't explain how my voltage went that high, like increase by almost half a volt.

Also can you post an example offset setting for the values i used above?

EDIT:

So that board has a different setup, and he left the offset to Auto, which resulted in my voltage going up to 1.5V even though i set the offset to 1.290 (which previously made it go to 1.311, which is what i was trying to get)

My question here is, how come the voltage you set in Adaptive Mode is not the voltage it goes to, not even near. Its way above that.

CPU: i7 6700k (@4.7GHz) RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666MHz Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX860i FanCont: Lamptron FC5v2
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech G502 / Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown SSD: OCZ Vector 150 120GB HDD: 15TB WD Red NAS

Does offset mode allow the Voltage to go down to a minimum when the clock does so? Because logically i do not want my CPU to run constantly at the high voltage.

And that still doesn't explain how my voltage went that high, like increase by almost half a volt.

Also can you post an example offset setting for the values i used above?

For example a way to setup the adaptive mode is if I wanted 1.300V I can setup the base as the stock voltage like 1.250V and add on offset of 0.500V. This will let it rise up to 1.300V during load. If you stress test with something like Adia 64 or Intel XTU it will go past 1.300V, only real world stress tests like cinebench won't cause that to occur. It would still let it still drop the voltages down to low levels during idle states.

I've seen others try the setup with a 0.00V offset to prevent that voltage rise which can occur but at times could cause low end instability during idle:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/187959-z97-adaptive-voltage-setting/

For example a way to setup the adaptive mode is if I wanted 1.300V I can setup the base as the stock voltage like 1.250V and add on offset of 0.500V. This will let it rise up to 1.300V during load. If you stress test with something like Adia 64 or Intel XTU it will go past 1.300V, only real world stress tests like cinebench won't cause that to occur. It would still let it still drop the voltages down to low levels during idle states.

I've seen others try the setup with a 0.00V offset to prevent that voltage rise which can occur but at times could cause low end instability during idle:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/187959-z97-adaptive-voltage-setting/

The only issue is, where do i set the stock voltage (By that you probably just mean what the CPU came with, i guess)

Yet i bet I'm just being silly and the value I put into adaptive is totally wrong, see screen"shots":

zvprZwA.jpg

High voltage result:

Xggbz4D.jpg

EDIT: On the other hand, using just Offset, would this be the right approach (see image)? And does offset just add that value to the Max freq. or on any frequency? even the low ones.

SuGUSrv.jpg

Edited by DeadSix27

The only issue is, where do i set the stock voltage (By that you probably just mean what the CPU came with, i guess)

Yet i bet I'm just being silly and the value I put into adaptive is totally wrong, see screen"shots":

-PIC-

Hmm that's odd unless they modified how adaptive mode works on Z170 it shouldn't go that high if your not stress testing. Try the stock voltage method on the base with an offset to see if it still does that. 

Hmm that's odd unless they modified how adaptive mode works on Z170 it shouldn't go that high if your not stress testing. Try the stock voltage method on the base with an offset to see if it still does that. 

I tried adaptive voltage set to 1.200 and Offset+ to 0.085 and 0.065 both made my Voltage go to ~1.5V which i totally don't get, how does it even archive that voltage just by opening chrome&mirc @4.7GHz

I assume that Adaptive setup is what you mean?

EDIT: Any other Idea I could try, what did you mean by:

""Your method does work and I have heard of others doing this but is a less common way I see voltages done.""

Is the more common way to just not use adaptive, but offset mode? Or do you mean that i set the base to the desired voltage and the offset to just 0.001? And the common would be 1.2 and offset+ to 0.100 for example?

Because i pretty much tried every single method in "Adaptive Voltage", however i did not try "Offset Voltage", Auto works logically and Manual too, even though that has a "offset" on itself already, just like Auto, e.g the fact setting it to 1.295-1.285ish gives me ~1.311-1.320 and so on.

EDIT2: Should i be aware of any other settings i need to disable or enable in UEFI? For example i have CStates on and EPU On.

Edited by DeadSix27

I tried adaptive voltage set to 1.200 and Offset+ to 0.085 and 0.065 both made my Voltage go to ~1.5V which i totally don't get, how does it even archive that voltage just by opening chrome&mirc @4.7GHz

I assume that Adaptive setup is what you mean?

EDIT: Any other Idea I could try, what did you mean by:

""Your method does work and I have heard of others doing this but is a less common way I see voltages done.""

Is the more common way to just not use adaptive, but offset mode? Or do you mean that i set the base to the desired voltage and the offset to just 0.001? And the common would be 1.2 and offset+ to 0.100 for example?

Because i pretty much tried every single method in "Adaptive Voltage", however i did not try "Offset Voltage", Auto works logically and Manual too, even though that has a "offset" on itself already, just like Auto, e.g the fact setting it to 1.295-1.285ish gives me ~1.311-1.320 and so on.

The more common way I see if done is have the base voltage of the CPU and and a positive offset to bring it up to the require voltages as you have in your example.

One thing I can think of try putting offset onto auto, I've seen something similar to this occur on an AsRock Z97 board where it would give an odd value but was a complex calculation since it wasn't the standard base+offset voltages.

http://club.myce.com/f184/intel-skylake-overclocking-guide-339700/

The more common way I see if done is have the base voltage of the CPU and and a positive offset to bring it up to the require voltages as you have in your example.

One thing I can think of try putting offset onto auto, I've seen something similar to this occur on an AsRock Z97 board where it would give an odd value but was a complex calculation since it wasn't the standard base+offset voltages.

http://club.myce.com/f184/intel-skylake-overclocking-guide-339700/

Ill try the offset auto, also about this (see image) should i be in any way concerned ? Or is that typical behavior:

EMLJMnA.png

Ill try the offset auto, also about this (see image) should i be in any way concerned ? Or is that typical behavior:

-PIC-

Wuttt CPU-Z what are you doing!

Usually it's the one that's most trusted, even Asus's AI suite I personally use is pretty spot on maybe +/-0.005V at times. Check with a bunch of different softwares like HWmonitor to see what they say. 

Wuttt CPU-Z what are you doing!

Usually it's the one that's most trusted, even Asus's AI suite I personally use is pretty spot on maybe +/-0.005V at times. Check with a bunch of different softwares like HWmonitor to see what they say. 

I also use HWMonitor but that reports the same weird values, the only so far correct one is AI Suite..

Anyway, offset Set to auto makes the idling @ 4.7GHz kind of ok i guess, even though my vcore jumps around 0.9 to 1.2V while the clock stays @ ~4.699 GHz

But once i start up any high demand Proccess, I like to use x264/ffmpeg because it quits instantly if I need it to, my vcore goes up to 1.5 and my cpu to 80°C (according to Ai Suite that is, i feel like my H110i should be able to compensate more than that..)

There must be something I'm doing wrong..maybe a BIOS setting, I'm not the most experty person when it comes to BIOS Settings (I didn't change any of them tho). Especially the category "Tweakers Paradise" in my mobo.. CPU FFL(orC?) Voltage etc.

Honestly all I did was enabling CStates, EPU and XMP Profile

EDIT: When having adaptive @ 1.2V + Auto offset CPU-Z reports (as it seems) correct values of ~1.289 to 1.325V  Considering its running @4.7GHz

While now AI Suite is a ll over the place as mentioned above.. 0.8 to 1.088V ...

EDIT2: Silly me should have realised this, wrong values of CPUZ are due to interference with AI Suite. Doesn't change the fact my VCore is all over the place once i run x264 tho :/

EDIT3:  I dont really get this, the vcore must be wrong, as seen by my tempatures on 100% Load.. it just burns away.. When using manual vcore @ 1.311 it never even gets close to that tempature :/

8VXmT9h.png

-SNIP-

I've seen voltages off before but that's a huge difference, auto mode is usually not commonly used I find, only thing I can think of is your LLC (load line calibration) is really high try dropping it to a level 7-8 which could explain why it ups voltage during load.

I've seen voltages off before but that's a huge difference, auto mode is usually not commonly used I find, only thing I can think of is your LLC (load line calibration) is really high try dropping it to a level 7-8 which could explain why it ups voltage during load.

I could not find LLC In my BIOS (so far) However i found CPU SVID, i hovered it, it mentioned "It is recommended to set this Disabled when Overclocking"

I tried that, used adaptive again, 1.2V Vcore, Auto offset, windows doesnt boot, 1.2V Vcore Offset to 0.111 to match 1.311, didnt boot either, i tried Manual Voltage just to be safe @ 1.311V, windows boots, x264 runs @100CPU Temps r ~ 57°C on silent fan mode and pump @performance mode So why can i not in any way get Adaptive+Offset to work :/

EDIT4: Well thats it, BIOS is Up to date, manual mode works, adaptive keeps my vcore below 1.36V @ 100% CPU, just what i wanted!

EDIT3: So there is a BIOS Update that came just out, and i went to overclockers.net and their guide, guess ill try that and follow that guide to be sure.

EDIT2: As the person in that thread mentioned but forgot to do so i tried this now:

Ai Overclock tuner = Manual  (I tried XMP, Manual, Auto)

Asus MultiCore enhancement = disabled (Tried on and off)

No matter what i set in Adaptive, be it random stuff like 1.2V Offset+ 0.25V = 1.5ish volt on load or

1.2V + 0.121V = 1.5ish volt... etc etc

I always get 1.5V for some reason, nothing more sometimes less but ye.

EDIT: I found LLC, just wasnt written in short, but long. anyway its level 7 now Adaptive Voltage is 1.2V, Offset is 0.025V my actual Voltage is 1.3ish to 1.4ish in CPUZ&HWInfo and 0.9 to 1.424 in AISuit Jumping crazy arround in all of these programs, i dont even wanna try running a 100% task now right now :/..

I'm officially out of ideas. There must be something wrong with my settings in the BIOS or I'm doing something stupid that's too obvious for you to think I would do it. However I probably do do it. :P

Thats how my Adaptive Voltage is set in the BIOS

1lLvwTj.png

For example a way to setup the adaptive mode is if I wanted 1.300V I can setup the base as the stock voltage like 1.250V and add on offset of 0.500V. This will let it rise up to 1.300V during load.

Check those numbers again...

Try setting the voltage to 1.210 and the offset to 0.110 It might not like non-whole numbers as the adaptive voltage.

It's easier to just use manual + C-States i think.  Never ran into any issues with manual. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I tried to set up an adaptive profile with those settings to my i7 8700K CPU on a motherboard ASUS maximus Hero X

Sync all cores 48

SVID Enabled

SVID behavior : best case scenario

addtional turbo mode core : 1.265

offset negative
offset auto

IA DC Loadline : 0.01

IA AC Loadline : 0.01

But the vcore for what i see in HW monitor goes from 1.20 to 1.28 . Shouldn't it goes lower on idle?

I have no idea where is the issue...

Thanks for your help.