Wireless N vs Powerline

YellowStain

I recently upgraded my internet speed from an abysmal 6 Mb down to 25 Mb down. It is going to take effect 3 days from now. Currently I am using a wireless N USB adapter for my computer as it is located quite a ways  away from my modem and router. I was wondering, would upgrading to a powerline connection make a significant difference over Wireless N on a 25Mb down connection? Or  should I just stick with my wireless N adapter? Thanks for any input.  

CPU: Intel i5 2500k @3.6 Ghz cooled by Antec Kuhler 620 | Case: Azza Solano 1000 | Motherbord: MSI P67-G45 | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced 1333MHz  
Video Card: Powercolor 7950 Boost State |
Power Supply: Coolermaster 550w | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Mouse: Corsair M60 | Keyboard: Coolermaster Quick Fire TK  | Headset : Logitech G35 |

The wireless N adapter will be fine imo. How far away is your adapter from the router?

The wireless N adapter will be fine imo. How far away is your adapter from the router?

I'd say within about 25 feet, separated by 2 walls.  

CPU: Intel i5 2500k @3.6 Ghz cooled by Antec Kuhler 620 | Case: Azza Solano 1000 | Motherbord: MSI P67-G45 | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced 1333MHz  
Power Supply: Coolermaster 550w | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Mouse: Corsair M60 | Keyboard: Coolermaster Quick Fire TK  | Headset : Logitech G35 |

Try transferring a file or two to another computer that is wired if possible via the router, that should let you know.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I'd say within about 25 feet, separated by 2 walls.  

At that range you will be fine. You do not need powerline as the max your internet will be will be 3.1MB. I get around 6MB to my server over Wireless N from about 15 meters away separated by 3 walls so you should get around a constant  8 :)

But as above, try send something over the network to a wired computer to see what your transfer rate is

I would recommend powerline over wireless, its (usually) will have less interference from the environment/other devices. Also depending on the type of powerline adapter you can get a higher bandwidth connection for your internal network.

When you are transferring files between computers, a wired connection will also usually outperform wireless connections especially on multiply smaller files.

It really depends on your use case. If you are just using the internet and maybe the odd file transfer a month go wifi and don't worry about spending the money. If you do a lot of file transfers between computers on your network. You will probably benefit more from a wire connection.

That being said, ensure that your router and computer are connected to the same power circuit in your house, otherwise a powerline adapter will not work.

| Cpu: Intel i5- 3570K | Ram: Corsair DDR3 8GB | Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 

| GFX Card: AMD Sapphire HD7970 3GB GHz Edition | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R |

Google is your friend

I would recommend powerline over wireless, its (usually) will have less interference from the environment/other devices. Also depending on the type of powerline adapter you can get a higher bandwidth connection for your internal network.

When you are transferring files between computers, a wired connection will also usually outperform wireless connections especially on multiply smaller files.

It really depends on your use case. If you are just using the internet and maybe the odd file transfer a month go wifi and don't worry about spending the money. If you do a lot of file transfers between computers on your network. You will probably benefit more from a wire connection.

That being said, ensure that your router and computer are connected to the same power circuit in your house, otherwise a powerline adapter will not work.

Sounds like someone watched the Linus video :), aha.

FWIW.....after I switched to powerline networking I experienced a lot fewer disconnects during my online gaming. In addition, You tube video was much smoother and quit having to buffer all the time! Good luck whichever you decide.

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

Thanks for the input. My new modem will arrive tomorrow, I'll test out the speeds over wifi first and then go from there!