My Audio Technica M50X "review" [TL:DR, don't buy it at its current MSRP]

CierroMierdo

The title sums up my "review". Okay, review done.

Oh... you want an explanation? Fine then.

Audio quality:

1.) Tyl says that the mids are recessed, but I dare say that the bass is just a bit "more forward" for the lack of a better term as the mids are already more forward than they are. I felt like a rapper actually spat saliva on my ear when I listen to rap battles. Sure, measurements may or most likely contradict what I say, but to be honest... I am starting to question if Tyl did this one to play it safe and I can't blame him since there are a TON of people who really love the M50X for what it is, but claim it for what its not, or if Audio Technica gave him a modified copy or something.
2.) It has soundstage... the size of an ant, though. CS:GO is not a really good game to test for soundstage as even Apple's complimentary earphones for every hand-held iDevice such as tablets and smartphones come with it. CoD4 could arguably be a much, much, MUCH better game to use as a reference to soundstage.
3.) Treble response is not bad, I have to give it that, but not special. Not really worth talking about.
4.) Mid range is its saving grace, but not enough to actually be where it claims to be.

5.) The excess bass keeps it from being an actual "studio monitor" to those who actually want actual studio monitors like the Sony CD900ST or MDRV6 or its cousins.

What else:

1.) MKBHD is probably the reason why this headphone sells.
2.) I wouldn't go to him (MKBHD) for audio advice. I'd rather go to Lachlan for his opinion on audio.
3.) The M50X is probably the only headphone in my collection that has the best performance for the dollar. Why is that? I got it for free as a gift. I didn't spend a single cent on getting one.
4.) Its a good upgrade from the 1st generation Beats headphone line.
5.) If it was USD$80 from the beginning, I would consider it compelling value because for sub $100, the performance for the dollar would match the measurements it had in innerfidelity for the sake of price to performance.
6.) Comfort? What comfort? These things gave me enough ear irritations to cause it to itch and even grow zits. Even my old CD900ST, which smells like a rotting frog corpse due to extensive use, never gave me one for YEARS! Even to this day. Mind you, Sony (a company that isn't even entirely dedicated to audio and just has a division for it, so its just one of their afterthoughts in their years of progression) isn't even really that dedicated to audio, despite having a flagship headphone... and they got the pads right enough to atleast not cause skin irritation. Irritation aside, the pads are less crap than the M50X. Both aren't really comfortable, but atleast one of them actually tries (CD900ST) while the other just claims it is (M50X).
7.) I can't fault the build quality... I just can't. Earpads, yes, I can fault that... just not everything else.

My recommendations for closed-backs:

HM5
XPT100
Pro 80 or Hyper X Cloud I or II if you like a built-in mic
DT770 
V6 or 7506 or even the CD900ST

How about open-back alternatives?:

SHP9500

AD700X (this is superior to the M50X and costs the same)

The M50X isn't shit, to be honest. Its just overpriced for what it gives. Strangely, the 2nd generation of Beats are getting closer and closer to better price to performance. They actually do better than they have been before, and I don't mind if people hate on my positive opinion on the current Beats lineup. Its just admirable, IMHO.

Wait.. Your recommended they hyperX clouds over them?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well yeah. I had the M50's and I tell people the same thing.

Because its a rebranded Takstar Pro 80. Basically, Kingston had a deal with Takstar regarding the Clouds.

The biggest problem I have with the M50(x) is that people mindlessly scream it into threads whether or not it is appropriate to the OP's needs, budget, and irrespective of other options. It's an incredible waste of time.

The biggest problem I have with the M50(x) is that people mindlessly scream it into threads whether or not it is appropriate to the OP's needs, budget, and irrespective of other options. It's an incredible waste of time.

Makes me cringe that when a thread's made and someone has a budget thats even like $500, someone is bound to just go and say "M50X"...

I have to say, your impressions of the M50 are spot on. $70~ price point and I think they'd be a great purchase, but put simply, they are not.

I hate how they are an instant recommendation both on here and Head-Fi. Overhyped and overpriced, good headphones aside from that though.

For your list btw, don't forget about the Denon D1001K clones, the Creative Aurvana Live!.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

i would buy one.. for $70 new... but in my area $172.99 + 13% tax..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I have to say, your impressions of the M50 are spot. $70~ price point and I think they'd be a great purchase, but put simply, they are not.

I hate how they are an instant recommendation both on here and Head-Fi. Overhyped and overpriced, good headphones aside from that though.

For your list btw, don't forget about the Denon D1001K clones, the Creative Aurvana Live!.

I didn't wanna recommend the Denon D1001k or the Creative Aurvana Live because I didn't have experience with it. Putting it in there because someone said so, but without my experience with it, would kill the credibility.