gtx 980 with 4k display

magicammo

I see countless videos on YouTube for benchmarks on the GTX 980 running games at 4k at Ultra settings and what not getting anywhere from 30 to 45 FPS but I never really see anything about how the card performed at medium settings at 4 K does anybody have a GTX 980 and game at 4 K using medium settings? If so what is the performance like

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME 

If you want 60 FPS with medium settings, that may be possible with a 980, but it should be OC'ed. A reference card would be in trouble, while a custom card would have no problems running smoothly.

Should be able to push 4K on LOW settings (i think).

My thoughts exactly. I was running borderlands@1440p with 4x dsr with everything on ultra getting 45fps loolno idea wat res that is tho

My thoughts exactly. I was running borderlands@1440p with 4x dsr with everything on ultra getting 45fps loolno idea wat res that is tho

Yeah, 4K you should really get a 980Ti :)

If you want 60 FPS with medium settings, that may be possible with a 980, but it should be OC'ed. A reference card would be in trouble, while a custom card would have no problems running smoothly.

Ive got an evga sc stock design and out of the box it running @1506 cray cray

Ive got an evga sc stock design and out of the box it running @1506 cray cray

I have a 8GB 290X, that is basically on the same performance level. I can get around 45 FPS, so with your card you may get just a little lower than 60 FPS with high settings too, except for AA, of course, that IMHO is useless on 4K.

I have a 8GB 290X, that is basically on the same performance level. I can get around 45 FPS, so with your card you may get just a little lower than 60 FPS with high settings too, except for AA, of course, that IMHO is useless on 4K.

I wanted to save up and mount like a 40 inch 4k tv on my wall

DSR exactly look like 4K but you don't need a 4K screen. Also, there's no performance loss from a native 4K, so you basically play @ 4K. You'll play just fine ;)

DSR exactly look like 4K but you don't need a 4K screen. Also, there's no performance loss from a native 4K, so you basically play @ 4K. You'll play just fine ;)

No, DSR doesn't look like 4k. It sure as hell helps but it's not 4k...

You're basically saying that DSR adds 4x times the pixels using software. Impossibru!!!

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

It actually doesn't, it looks like 1080p with anti-aliasing, because that's exactly what it is.

I have a GTX 970 with a 4k display. (The display was an impulse buy. I had a 970 and 1080p screen a couple of months prior to find a 60% open box special on a 4k display. There was nothing wrong with it from what I could see in the store so I jumped on it. I do plan to replace the 970 once something more appealing than a gtx 980 ti comes out.) The GTX 970 usually manages medium to high settings at 4k, though I also am particular about my display settings more than "high or medium". Like on Mad Max I have draw distance on high, terrain textures on medium, unit textures on high, SSAO off, depth of field off, motion blur off, antialiasing off (not needed at 4k in my opinion), heat blaze / other misc effects on, and I usually stay at 60 fps 95% of the time. I don't particularly like wasting performance making stuff blurry so I always nuke depth of field and motion blur as I would rather things remain crisp. SSAO usually has a big impact in performance so usually i turn it off, some games in my opinion it makes too dark from shadows. I prioritize most of the quality for view distance to see things coming and unit textures so their silhouettes are more recognizable. Same generally applies to my other recently played games like Alien Isolation sitting at almost all high settings, minus DoF and motion blur of course. Skyrim had no trouble once antialiasing was off and anisotropic filtering was 8x on max + some visual improvement mods. The only games that tank my setup is usually broken games and over the top eye candy games like crysis 3 and BF4. They sit in the mediums with barely any high settings. That being said once you get used to tuning settings even 4k medium settings sometimes look better than ultra 1080p. The color tends to pop more, and jagged edges and crawling pixels are far less common. Best thing is if you can't run particular games in 4k, you can always drop the resolution to 1080p and continue on your way.

No, DSR doesn't look like 4k. It sure as hell helps but it's not 4k...

You're basically saying that DSR adds 4x times the pixels using software. Impossibru!!!

You're sure about that? DSR is downsampling made easy, that's exactly what DSR and VSR do lol