Trying to pick a CPU

whiz62

I am thinking about getting an amd A10-5800k but i am not going to use the built in graphics on the chip. I am going to use an asus geforce gtx 550TI. Would this be a good all around rig mostly gaming and medium video editing and photo editing? with 8gb of ram.

Would be very appreciated if someone could help.

Thanks, Dalton Weedon

While it is an awesome little CPU, the inbuilt graphics will be disabled if another GPU is detected, so you'll be wasting your money on the APU. Invest in one of the AMD FX series CPUs. For about $50 more than the 5800k you can get an FX8350, which is AMD's 8 core, gaming optimised CPU, which is a really great performing CPU. Keep in mind that the change I've suggested is from an FM2 platform to an AM3+ platform, so you will need to revise your motherboard choice too. Hope this helps.

While it is an awesome little CPU, the inbuilt graphics will be disabled if another GPU is detected, so you'll be wasting your money on the APU. Invest in one of the AMD FX series CPUs. For about $50 more than the 5800k you can get an FX8350, which is AMD's 8 core, gaming optimised CPU, which is a really great performing CPU. Keep in mind that the change I've suggested is from an FM2 platform to an AM3+ platform, so you will need to revise your motherboard choice too. Hope this helps.
Ok, Thanks. I found a amd fx-4300 which i think should be great for me. The amd fx-8350 is $200.00 and the amd fx-4300 is $130.00

gaming ? what games ??? if you only play diablo like me I would use more money on SSD then CPU

FX6300 AMD3+ is more then fine.

I will be playing Dirt3, Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops 2. Then maybe different game that come out in the future.

Laptop I would buy for future maybe..

but not for a desktop

I find it cheaper to buy a medium pc every 2nd year then high end pc every 5year.

Laptop I would buy for future maybe..

but not for a desktop

I find it cheaper to buy a medium pc every 2nd year then high end pc every 5year.

I am not a laptop person. I am going for a medium to high end pc and i really don't plan to build another one for a while so i am going best bang for the buck.

NZXT Phantom 410

MSI 970A-G46

AMD fx-4300 / AMD fx-8350 ?

8GB G.Skill RipJaws

ASUS Geforce GTX 550TI

Thermaltake CLP0554

Western Digital 500GB (just to start)

Corsair cx600

I think it depends on your preferences between gaming and editing. In the gaming Benchmarks, the i3 3220 is the best value-CPU! It's priced below the fx-4300 and fx-6300 but outperforms them. In a multithreaded environment the AMD's are ahead, simply because they have more cores and are somewhat optimized for it. Instead of a fx-4300 I would go fore the fx-6300. It's just a 10$ difference but you get more performance in multithreaded applications...

If you wanna spend more money, you should primarily go for a better graphics card. Do you already own the GTX 550 ti? The GTX 550 ti isn't a big bang for your buck. Go for a GTX 660 or a Radeon 7870 if you can! Your system will otherwise be bottlenecked by the GTX 550 ti

get 7770 HD GFX instead and overclock it. cheaper :) maybe try look the linus GFX test of farcry 3

Yeah, the 4300 is awesome. It's also an AM3+ platform and shares the Bulldozer architecture with the 8350. You'll really love it!

@Whiz62 are you in the US? If so, here's an 8120, 8 core processor just a lower clock speed, but you can overclock it to ~4.2ghz on air. (I own one). They currently run anywhere from $129 to $159. This would be a better option than the 4300, especially for the video editing, and for not much more money.

I think it depends on your preferences between gaming and editing. In the gaming Benchmarks, the i3 3220 is the best value-CPU! It's priced below the fx-4300 and fx-6300 but outperforms them. In a multithreaded environment the AMD's are ahead, simply because they have more cores and are somewhat optimized for it. Instead of a fx-4300 I would go fore the fx-6300. It's just a 10$ difference but you get more performance in multithreaded applications...

If you wanna spend more money, you should primarily go for a better graphics card. Do you already own the GTX 550 ti? The GTX 550 ti isn't a big bang for your buck. Go for a GTX 660 or a Radeon 7870 if you can! Your system will otherwise be bottlenecked by the GTX 550 ti

Ok i did research and i picked the amd fx-6300 now i am working on picking a graphics card. Thanks for your input!