10 Gigabit or Raid card?

dark_xzyph3r

OK, that makes it signifcantly cheaper if you're only doing direct client to client. Probably just get a set of single port 10gbE Copper NIC's and some cat6a cable and you'll be good to go.

Gets much more expensive once you start factoring in switching.

You could try buying these, pretty sure they're priced wrong so you might get an awesome deal: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Port-10Gigabit-Ethernet-Card/dp/B0025B0FEI

Otherwise you may be able to find some single port 10GbE cards second hand if those are too expensive.

But yeah for 10Gbit your cheapest would be 10GBASE-T copper, followed by SFP+ with DAC's (Direct Attached Cables), and most expensive being SFP+ fibre modules with fibre cables.

Would there be any way I could just use a 1 port 10 GbE card in each (One in server one in PC) and use a custom 1 FT Cat6 cable?

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

OK, that makes it signifcantly cheaper if you're only doing direct client to client. Probably just get a set of single port 10gbE Copper NIC's and some cat6a cable and you'll be good to go.

Gets much more expensive once you start factoring in switching.

You could try buying these, pretty sure they're priced wrong so you might get an awesome deal: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Port-10Gigabit-Ethernet-Card/dp/B0025B0FEI

Otherwise you may be able to find some single port 10GbE cards second hand if those are too expensive.

But yeah for 10Gbit your cheapest would be 10GBASE-T copper, followed by SFP+ with DAC's (Direct Attached Cables), and most expensive being SFP+ fibre modules with fibre cables.

Would this be a good option? http://www.ebay.com/itm/671798-001-666172-001-HP-10GB-MELLANOX-CONNECTX-2-PCIe-10GBe-ETHERNET-NIC-/181853151588?hash=item2a574ae164 just get 2 of these? I am on a tight budget so I can't go with Intel Nic's but I think this would do for a bit until I can upgrade to Intel ones

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Would this be a good option? http://www.ebay.com/itm/671798-001-666172-001-HP-10GB-MELLANOX-CONNECTX-2-PCIe-10GBe-ETHERNET-NIC-/181853151588?hash=item2a574ae164 just get 2 of these? I am on a tight budget so I can't go with Intel Nic's but I think this would do for a bit until I can upgrade to Intel ones

or maybe get one put it in my Server then upgrade to one in my main rig later? would that work? or should I just grab 2 at the same time? thanks

If you get those, you'd just use a passive DAC cable, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Gtek-SFP-DAC-10Gb-s-1m-Passive-for-Cisco-SFP-H10GB-CU1M-/331656246010?hash=item4d3840b2fa

Never used cards that cheap, so dont know what they would be like :P

And no, you cant get just 1 - you need both sides of the connection regardless of what type of cabling you use between them.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

If you get those, you'd just use a passive DAC cable, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Gtek-SFP-DAC-10Gb-s-1m-Passive-for-Cisco-SFP-H10GB-CU1M-/331656246010?hash=item4d3840b2fa

Never used cards that cheap, so dont know what they would be like :P

And no, you cant get just 1 - you need both sides of the connection regardless of what type of cabling you use between them.

Ahh, alright.. So I will order 2 of them and see what happens they are pretty cheap so if they don't work then I am not out much since I am not paying $200 per card..

Im interested to see what sort of performance you get from cards like that :)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Yeah me too, I will either update the post or PM you on that :) Hopefully 10Gb on both sides and hopefully full speed on my server

Yeah me too, I will either update the post or PM you on that :) Hopefully 10Gb on both sides and hopefully full speed on my server

If you get it working, let us know. I'm planning on direct attaching 10Gb on my server / PC as well.

If you get it working, let us know. I'm planning on direct attaching 10Gb on my server / PC as well.

Definitely will. I ordered the cards and cable and should be here next week, I'm excited even though I can only use half of that 10Gb connection. Lol :)

10Gbit will have to wait till the 3rd.. I am having to pay for some audio equipment this week and won't have enough money left over.. Hopefully when I get around to this it will be worth..

So basically I said fuck it and went ahead and bought the 10gig cards and cable :) have you already done 10gig?

post-190701-0-79405800-1443498556_thumb.

So basically I said fuck it and went ahead and bought the 10gig cards and cable :) have you already done 10gig?

No, out of funds at the moment. College textbooks ate my money. My main priority is getting the server silent first. The crappy sleeve bearing fans I have in it right now run pretty loud. The stock server fans are definitely too loud. I plan on getting on silent Silverstone fans.

I hope 10 Gb/s goes well for you.

No, out of funds at the moment. College textbooks ate my money. My main priority is getting the server silent first. The crappy sleeve bearing fans I have in it right now run pretty loud. The stock server fans are definitely too loud. I plan on getting on silent Silverstone fans.

I hope 10 Gb/s goes well for you.

Yeah my 1u is the loudest thing in the world.. I'm swapping to into a cosmos 1000 case and use that as my main and use my old rig for my server since the current server has a beast CPU and won't bottleneck my GPU :P

Yeah my 1u is the loudest thing in the world.. I'm swapping to into a cosmos 1000 case and use that as my main and use my old rig for my server since the current server has a beast CPU and won't bottleneck my GPU :P

Oh wow, yeah, 1U would be really bad on the ears. I feel your pain though, I went severe overkill on the CPU for my server (Xeon E5-2695V3) and my main rig has a i5-2500K. Even though the 2500K is overclocked to 4.6 GHz, the Xeon just laughs at it. Converting music on the 2500K? 100% CPU use. On the Xeon? Not even 6%...I don't think I've ever gotten the Xeon to go over 10% CPU use in normal use ever.

The Xeon is roughly 4 times faster according to CineBench.

I'm really hoping 10Gb/s works for you. I really hopes it works directly attached without having to shell out $800 for a 10Gb/s switch.

Oh wow, yeah, 1U would be really bad on the ears. I feel your pain though, I went severe overkill on the CPU for my server (Xeon E5-2695V3) and my main rig has a i5-2500K. Even though the 2500K is overclocked to 4.6 GHz, the Xeon just laughs at it. Converting music on the 2500K? 100% CPU use. On the Xeon? Not even 6%...I don't think I've ever gotten the Xeon to go over 10% CPU use in normal use ever.

The Xeon is roughly 4 times faster according to CineBench.

I'm really hoping 10Gb/s works for you. I really hopes it works directly attached without having to shell out $800 for a 10Gb/s switch.

Yeah I was going to use FreeNAS but I am currently installing Windows Server 2012 R2 Evaluation so when my 10Gbit cards come it should just work.. And I did some research and the brand of the cards is actually reputable.. https://www.mellanox.com/ they created 100Gb :D hopefully this will work.. I would also kill to have that Xeon lol also how could you even afford that?!?!?

Yeah I was going to use FreeNAS but I am currently installing Windows Server 2012 R2 Evaluation so when my 10Gbit cards come it should just work.. And I did some research and the brand of the cards is actually reputable.. https://www.mellanox.com/ they created 100Gb :D hopefully this will work.. I would also kill to have that Xeon lol also how could you even afford that?!?!?

Oh, I have Windows Server 2012 R2 free because of Dreamspark with college account. Yeah, it should just work. Mellanox is a good brand.

Ah, I got it used for $600 (I don't think the person who sold it to me knew how much it was worth). Sadly it spends most of its life idling at the moment. I am going to use it to render projects for me, but haven't had time to make anything yet due to college classes. I still can't believe under load, the vCore is 0.89v.