Can I use regular DDR3 RAM with an i5 6600K and Asus Z170-P D3?

I've been hearing different things from different websites about this topic and I'd just like to break the ice now and ask if I could use G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133MHz CL9 1.5V ram with the new i5 CPU and the mentioned mobo, or would I have to use DDR3L RAM at 1.35V? I've seen enough different requirements from different forums which are just giving me a headache so please don't blame me for not knowing what to do with this. Thanks.

ddr3l, cause skylake only supports ddr3l and ddr4, not ddr3

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I've been hearing different things from different websites about this topic and I'd just like to break the ice now and ask if I could use G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133MHz CL9 1.5V ram with the new i5 CPU and the mentioned mobo, or would I have to use DDR3L RAM at 1.35V? I've seen enough different requirements from different forums which are just giving me a headache so please don't blame me for not knowing what to do with this. Thanks.

Memory
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 3100(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory 
Dual Channel Memory Architecture 
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. 
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

You can

use ddr3 with a skylake?

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

use ddr3 with a skylake?

With that mb yes, even 1,65 V sticks

This is a signature.

You can, supports 1,65 V too

Thanks for your early reply. I understand now based on the replies to this topic that the mobo supports the RAM, but on the Intel website, it says that the i5 supports  DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

So would that have a big impact on this CPU/RAM/Mobo combo?

Thanks for your early reply. I understand now based on the replies to this topic that the mobo supports the RAM, but on the Intel website, it says that the i5 supports  DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

no

if you got ddr3

use the board

and it will be fine

DDR4 modules are backwards compatable with DDR3. possibly DDR3L, but i would just stick with DDR4 because you will most likely have the least problems with it. Skylake was designed with DDR4 in mind, not DDR3

when it rains check your roof for rainbows

No, it'll be fine

This is a signature.

DDR4 modules are backwards compatable with DDR3. possibly DDR3L, but i would just stick with DDR4 because you will most likely have the least problems with it. Skylake was designed with DDR4 in mind, not DDR3

wow!

you shouldn't be helping on here if you think that

they are defiantly not backward compatible

No, it'll be fine

Thanks for your help. I was really unsure about this whole situation but now I know where I'm going with it, so thanks again.

wow!

you shouldn't be helping on here if you think that

they are defiantly not backward compatible

i ment not backwards compatable

type :|

when it rains check your roof for rainbows

No DDR generations are compatible with each other. Intel has stated Skylake is compatible with DDR3.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i ment not backwards compatable

type :|

The way you structured that entire sentence begs to differ. You said "DDR4 modules are backwards compatible with DDR3, possibly DDR3L but i would just stick with DDR4". It would make absolutely no sense if you said "DDR3 modules are not backwards compatible with DDR3, possibly DDR3L, but i would just stick with DDR4". 

If you do not understand something, it is best not to comment on the subject. I am not trying to be rude or insult you, it just hinders the understanding of everyone else that reads your comment, and takes it as the truth.

Thanks for your help. I was really unsure about this whole situation but now I know where I'm going with it, so thanks again.

You do not need DDR3L in order for that CPU to use DDR3 memory. The board is rated to support all sorts of DDR3 variants and has been tested in order to make those claims. You can use normal DDR3 memory just fine, even highly clocked kits. Just make sure that in the future, you look at the boards very closely to make sure they support your memory. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

• 3 months later...

It's compatible with both DDR3 and DDR3L RAM as stated on the product page. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-P-D3/

I'm in the middle of upgrading to a 6600k and just ordered that very motherboard thinking that using DDR3 is fine, there are warnings from Intel that prolonged use of RAM running at 1.5/1.65v can damage the Skylake's integrated memory controller.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-memory-support,30185.html

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/

So yes, that board supports both DDR3 and DDR3L, but if you use DDR3 you will damage your chip with prolonged use. Just a warning to anyone who comes across this. This information about the potential damage to the IMC seems to have come out in late September, so this information wasn't available back when this thread was active.