G-Sync Still Worth It?

Go to solution Solved by TheDigitalRealm,

Well, before you read my post, it might be a good idea to read up on what g-sync and competing technologies do, and the problems they solve.

Watch Linux's fast as possible video on freesync: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ey-KObDABI

And his NCIX g sync video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fghQh0Y4oA4

Is G-sync dead? No, I don't think it is, nor do I think that it is dying. Far from it, eventually I think the technology will be ubiquitous without the price premium of today's models of G-sync monitors.

I think the reason that some. May think it dead is because it's been out for roughly 2 years give or take, with many manufacturers releasing multiple models of their monitors with G-sync, but despite the competition, the price of g-sync monitors is incredibly high compared to none g-sync counterparts of the same resolution. For example: my 60Hz 1440p IPS monitor cost me £230. The Acer G-sync equivalent with an IPS monitor and 144Hz refresh rate costs over £600. At the price it's currently sitting at, it's at too much of a premium for most gamers to justify.

Hey so apparently I've been told that G-Sync is dead. Not sure if this is true or not but if it is, why is it dead and if so what is better than it? If it's not dead, is it dying? Is this adaptive sync thing its competition? I don't know what adaptive sync is either. So I don't know if that has any effect. 

Who said it was dead?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

It's not dead but it's getting there - AMD and Intel partnered over Free-Sync thus it will likely get a lot more use since intel holds 60% of the GPU market share (counting iGPUs)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Who said it was dead?

I watched tek syndicate, one of their recent live streams, I didn't watch all of it thought but that was the headline apparently, i don't understand how g-sync could/would die that fast, it seems like the best shit available 

It's not dead but it's getting there - AMD and Intel partnered over Free-Sync thus it will likely get a lot more use since intel holds 60% of the GPU market share (counting iGPUs)

Intel didn't partner with AMD, they simply said they plan to implement the ability to use Free-Sync in their future products.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I watched tek syndicate, one of their recent live streams, I didn't watch all of it thought but that was the headline apparently, i don't understand how g-sync could/would die that fast, it seems like the best shit available 

The thing is GSync cost money to implement and Free-Sync doesn't cost nearly as much. GSync has a "bunch of extra features" but NVidia hasn't shown any of them off, so until we know the full benefits of GSync it's kinda like costly Free-Sync.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Hey so apparently I've been told that G-Sync is dead. Not sure if this is true or not but if it is, why is it dead and if so what is better than it? If it's not dead, is it dying? Is this adaptive sync thing its competition? I don't know what adaptive sync is either. So I don't know if that has any effect. 

the discussion was whether it was stay relevant longer term. What it does is dynamic vsync. If you game goes at 40fps the monitor only refreshes at 40 hertz if your framerate goes up it raises your refreshing rate to match. basically it stops tearing without causing lag like vsync can. Also if you dont know what it does you may not benefit from it. another note is vsync cant drop below 30 ive heard. Whats your pc specs and current monitor?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Intel didn't partner with AMD, they simply said they plan to implement the ability to use Free-Sync in their future products.

Hmm? I was told they arranged a partnership

G-sync does the same as Free-sync all while costing 3 times more - not worth the money

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

People can live without it.

G-sync does the same as Free-sync all while costing 3 times more - not worth the money

Also this! ^^^

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Hmm? I was told they arranged a partnership

It's not a flat-out partnership, they're just gonna have AMD help them implement that tech.

So... is this partnership for AMD and Intel on this matter like... probably going to make G-Sync pointless? Very strange that AMD and Intel would partner together or come together for something like this, I thought they were like enemies in the business field lol

Well, before you read my post, it might be a good idea to read up on what g-sync and competing technologies do, and the problems they solve.

Watch Linux's fast as possible video on freesync: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ey-KObDABI

And his NCIX g sync video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fghQh0Y4oA4

Is G-sync dead? No, I don't think it is, nor do I think that it is dying. Far from it, eventually I think the technology will be ubiquitous without the price premium of today's models of G-sync monitors.

I think the reason that some. May think it dead is because it's been out for roughly 2 years give or take, with many manufacturers releasing multiple models of their monitors with G-sync, but despite the competition, the price of g-sync monitors is incredibly high compared to none g-sync counterparts of the same resolution. For example: my 60Hz 1440p IPS monitor cost me £230. The Acer G-sync equivalent with an IPS monitor and 144Hz refresh rate costs over £600. At the price it's currently sitting at, it's at too much of a premium for most gamers to justify.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

So... is this partnership for AMD and Intel on this matter like... probably going to make G-Sync pointless? Very strange that AMD and Intel would partner together or come together for something like this, I thought they were like enemies in the business field lol

They aren't in a partnership.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I think we would have to wait and see if they would improve upon it once it comes out, g-sync still seems to be pretty good

We've been over this - Freesync is supported by all three GPU manufacturers on a hardware level because it is part of the VESA standard, and not dependent on what hardware a card has. It's based on the Displayport controller. Any device that uses the Displayport 1.2a standard natively supports it, because adaptive Vsync support is part of its specification. and it doesn't rely on an expensive proprietary module or certification from Nvidia, something else that is tedious and expensive. So, yes. G-sync is dead. It's still around and it will still continue to be around for some time because Nvidia is Nvidia, but its purpose for existence is gone, because Freesync monitors are already cheaper than Gsync monitors and will drop in price when the standard rolls out across the board. DirectX 12 and Vulkan will allow AMD and Intel's massively parallel GPUs to take advantage of the Freesync standard, which will further promote adoption. Gsync laptops already use it. The only thing preventing Nvidia from allowing Freesync is driver support.

We've been over this - Freesync is supported by all three GPU manufacturers on a hardware level because it is part of the VESA standard, and not dependent on what hardware a card has. It's based on the Displayport controller. Any device that uses the Displayport 1.2a standard natively supports it, because adaptive Vsync support is part of its specification. and it doesn't rely on an expensive proprietary module or certification from Nvidia, something else that is tedious and expensive. So, yes. G-sync is dead. It's still around and it will still continue to be around for some time because Nvidia is Nvidia, but its purpose for existence is gone, because Freesync monitors are already cheaper than Gsync monitors and will drop in price when the standard rolls out across the board. DirectX 12 and Vulkan will allow AMD and Intel's massively parallel GPUs to take advantage of Freesync standard, which will further promote adoption. Gsync laptops already use it. The only thing preventing Nvidia from allowing Freesync is driver support.

I didn't know it was supported by all three, so... will this thing be supported by all monitors that have the display port port then? Or is it going to have to be a monitor that supports it all on itself like the g-sync monitors? 

1. Are you willing to accept the higher monitor price?

2. Are you wiling to limit yourself to only being able to buy Nvidia GPUs over the course of your monitor's life?

3. Do you want it now and are otherwise unwilling to wait for Activesync to fully penetrate the market?

If you answered "yes", then G-sync is worth it (to you). G-sync isn't dead because it was never really alive, per se. It was always a small expensive niche product with some caveats, and it will be replaced (eventually!!) by standardized products. The replacement of G-sync by Activesync could be considered it's "death", but for those with G-sync compatible displays and GPUs, you can use it as long as you like. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I didn't know it was supported by all three, so... will this thing be supported by all monitors that have the display port port then? Or is it going to have to be a monitor that supports it all on itself like the g-sync monitors? 

Nvidia doesn't support it at a driver level, but they have no choice of hardware compatibility if they want to use DP 1.2a or later. And any monitor that uses Displayport 1.2a will natively support freesync. No module, no propriety, no nothing. It's part of the standard, so if it says Displayport 1.2a on the side then it has to support it, because adaptive V-sync is a specification of the Displayport 1.2a standard. Laptops that support G-sync are not using G-sync at all, they're using the Adaptive V-sync capabilities of Embedded DisplayPort. So G-sync is a lie on laptops, and it's an expensive niche perk on the desktop market.

I guarantee you that Quadro cards that use DP 1.2a will use Freesync instead of G-sync, as G-sync is aimed at gamers specifically, not content producers. or they'll use nothing at all.

-snip

does it have to be 1.2a or can it be a later version like 1.3?

nvm just saw that it works with later versions *facepalm* 

does it have to be 1.2a or can it be a later version like 1.3?

It's adopted as the standard now. It's here to stay. :D

Wow I really fucking love these improvements that's going on right now, before you know it we'll have laser beams and floating displays hahaha

g sync only makes sense on high refresh monitors. and that's coming from someone that has it.

for 60hz monitors v sync is more than enough if you have the gpu grunt.

having known what I do now I wish I'd have saved £300 and got the non g sync version of my monitor.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb