Intel Giving Apple High End Processors for Macbook Pro

Giddyguy

So with the looming announcment of the Macbook Pro Haswell refresh, I found these articles stating that Intel will be providing "special top bin cream-of-the-crop GT3e selection" processors. It also says that with these special ones going to apple, it "leaves the slightly less desirable remains for Intel's other customers".

Original Article (you need a subscription however)

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/07/25/apple-gets-a-special-haswell-for-the-macbook-pro/

Macrumors Article (summarizes main article)

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26/intel-to-supply-apple-with-special-high-end-haswell-processors-for-macbook-pro/

What do you guys think? Although I don't think its not fair because Apple will have to pay premium for top chips but if it affects the quality of processors that other laptops receive, it would be bad.

P.S. I hope there isn't already a topic on this! If there is Sorry for reposting!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Is that so? Then it's +$500 on all Mac's then.

Anyway, I don't like the fact that the 'remains' are going to the other manufacturers.

Should we really care about mobile processor binning?

Maximus V Gene | i5-2500k 4.8GHz | 16GiB | GTX470 SLi @ 800MHz| m4 128GB + 240GB 2.5" HDD | Arch Linux + Windows 8

800D + HX850v2 | EK Supreme-HF v2 | 2x EK FC-470GTX (serial) | Black Ice GTX 360 + 3x AP-15 | U2311h | 6Gv2 + G500 | T50-RP

Well, I guess it's not really that important, since performance differences shouldn't really be that significant.

But it's the increase in the price of Mac's that should be worrying.

Saying anything positive about this is impossible, there will be macs with high end cpus, which is what windows based notebooks did forever, congrats on being on par with other non apple notebooks! so innovative 

:/

Saying anything positive about this is impossible, there will be macs with high end cpus, which is what windows based notebooks did forever, congrats on being on par with other non apple notebooks! so innovative 

I just don't care about Apple hardware any more. They used to be the laptops to go as they were built properly, but nowadays, the only laptop I truly want for college is that Acer notebook Linus has./

Maximus V Gene | i5-2500k 4.8GHz | 16GiB | GTX470 SLi @ 800MHz| m4 128GB + 240GB 2.5" HDD | Arch Linux + Windows 8

800D + HX850v2 | EK Supreme-HF v2 | 2x EK FC-470GTX (serial) | Black Ice GTX 360 + 3x AP-15 | U2311h | 6Gv2 + G500 | T50-RP

I just don't care about Apple hardware any more. They used to be the laptops to go as they were built properly, but nowadays, the only laptop I truly want for college is that Acer notebook Linus has./

Lol, for me it's the lenovo yoga, but since i want to play games at the army i do want somthing that will run games...

:/

Lol, for me it's the lenovo yoga, but since i want to play games at the army i do want somthing that will run games...

Get a Clevo.

YES. If it means lower voltage with the same cpu speed, then fuck yeah. I want a 15 hour macbook pro

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Damn it Intel.. why.... WHYYYYYY 

I dislike the fact that the best CPUs are going to Apple, not because I hate Apple (well... I do but that's a different story), but more because this will make the playing field (arguably) not fair. 

But the question is, will this get more customers? I think it won't, only the hard core fans will be happy, everyone else? Well, let's just say "neutral" 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

This is pointless, Notebooks wouldn't really benefit...

This only makes me hate apple even more...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

lol my cousin works at apple. And guess what? He worked at EA before that. The fact that you probably think i'm joking demonstrates how insane that is

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

YES. If it means lower voltage with the same cpu speed, then fuck yeah. I want a 15 hour macbook pro

Exactly! I'm actually kind of happy about this in a selfish way because I may be getting a MBP come September/October depending on other things. On the other hand though, it sucks for people like IBM and HP. 

What was the difference between a i7-3610qm and a i7-3720qm... They both have the same architecture, same cache, same cores etc. but the difference is a higher clockspeed of the 3720 while remaining the same tdp. It is also much more expensive because it is binned. This has been done for years for mobile CPUs and is nothing new.

I thought the whole process of binning was that some cpus are better for over clocking. but if crapple aren't going to overclock their MBP then what advantage is their really to using the binned cpus?

Other than 1oc and 5 extra minutes of battery I don't see the big deal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I thought the whole process of binning was that some cpus are better for over clocking. but if crapple aren't going to overclock their MBP then what advantage is their really to using the binned cpus?

Other than 1oc and 5 extra minutes of battery I don't see the big deal.

binning them means they can run at higher clocks at the same voltages so if they tune their notebooks really well and they undervolt the CPUs while keeping them at the same frequency it should result in an increase in battery life without a decrease in performance or vice versa. That said I'm sure apple won't be tuning each one individually and I wouldn't be surprised if they just run them at stock voltages and frequency, which completely defeats the purpose.

So Mac's are going to cost even more?

probably not. most rumors are stating that apple won't even be using a dgpu for their macbook pro's now.

Razer Blade

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Exactly! I'm actually kind of happy about this in a selfish way because I may be getting a MBP come September/October depending on other things. On the other hand though, it sucks for people like IBM and HP.

I may be getting a MBP come September/October depending on other things.

I may be getting a MBP come...

MBP...

you-were-the-chosen-one.jpg

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I may be getting a MBP come September/October depending on other things.

I may be getting a MBP come...

MBP...

you-were-the-chosen-one.jpg
Imdojtnquite think uni want me bringing a desktop around everywhere.