Any experiences with Teksavvy ISP (in Canada)?

I'm thinking of switching from Shaw to Teksavvy because their plans are so cheap =)

Is their internet reliable? I know that they use infrastructures of other larger ISPs, so does it mean that the customers of the ISP that owns that infrastructure has packet priority over Teksavvy users? 

CPU:Intel 3770k Motherboard:Gigabyte z77x-ud5h GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti Ram:Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Storage:Crucial M4 128GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case:Zalman Z11 Plus PSU:Corsair TX650 Cooler:Noctua NH-D14 Fans:Noctua NF-P12+ Silverstone AP123 Keyboard:Corsair K90 Mouse:Corsair M60 Monitors:Dell U2412M+U2312HM

http://www.dslreports.com/comment/2564/85535

http://www.dslreports.com/comment/3626/88213

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect

Be warned though, Shaw, Rogers, Telus....etc have a nasty habit of deliberately sitting on their hands when things go wrong on their end

and playing lots of games to avoid fixing the issue so as to make Teksavvy look bad in the hopes they get you back as a customer.

The good news is you don't have to deal with Shaw directly, Teksavvy does.

Also, there's no guarantee you'll be able to switch since Shaw and other big providers can come up with all kinds of excuses

to block Teksavvy out and they are not obligated to give you a reason as to why, they will cite confidentiality reasons.

The CRTC will not.... I repeat.  WILL NOT help you if Shaw refuses to do the switch.

I fought with Shaw for nearly a year to switch to Teksavvy and the CRTC just stopped responding to my emails and calls.

Most of the execs at Shaw and Rogers are former CRTC management.

the CRTC complaints department is 100% funded by.... you guessed it..... Shaw., Rogers, Telus.....etc

when i used to live in mississauga i signed up with Teksavvy dsl and i had no problem with the service. i had them for 4 years or so until i moved to the us.

Also, there's no guarantee you'll be able to switch since Shaw and other big providers can come up with all kinds of excuses

to block Teksavvy out and they are not obligated to give you a reason as to why, they will cite confidentiality reasons.

Could you elaborate more on this? Since I can cancel Shaw at any time (no contracts), I can switch to other big competitors like Telus at any time. I thought It would be the identical process for TechSavvy.  :blink:

CPU:Intel 3770k Motherboard:Gigabyte z77x-ud5h GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti Ram:Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Storage:Crucial M4 128GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case:Zalman Z11 Plus PSU:Corsair TX650 Cooler:Noctua NH-D14 Fans:Noctua NF-P12+ Silverstone AP123 Keyboard:Corsair K90 Mouse:Corsair M60 Monitors:Dell U2412M+U2312HM

I have no problems to report, other than the fact that they used to not list their upload speeds for their internet packages on their website, causing my family to get a half megabit upload speed.

Could you elaborate more on this? Since I can cancel Shaw at any time (no contracts), I can switch to other big competitors like Telus at any time. I thought It would be the identical process for TechSavvy.  :blink:

In some cases Shaw can get away with claiming it's not possible to do the switch

they won't and don't have to give a reason to anybody, even the CRTC unless they demand a reason

and even then they won't pass that reason on to you.

They'll just claim for it's for "Technical issues" and claim proprietary information protection to avoid giving a valid excuse.

If Shaw feels they can get away with it, they will and chances are the CRTC will not help you.

It all depends on where you live, if you are a home owner or a renter and if the building you are living in has an existing contract with them

The rules dictating Internet and phone service in Canada are very open to abuse and interpretationby the big guys and the CRTC/Government refuses to

make any effort to clean them up.

Teksavvy went to court over bandwidth caps and other things but the ability for Shaw and others to lock them out still exists.

If you own your home or live with someone who does own the home then there shouldn't be any issues.

You won't know until the date of the switch comes around.

If Shaw refuses the switch, Teksavvy will refund your money 100% inlcuding any hardware you bought from them.