Test parts before putting them in case?

Hi,

I'm getting the new parts to my PC today. However the only part that I'm not getting shipped today is the psu. I'm really eager to start building my new PC. What is the risk of building your PC without testing for the POST first? Should I build everything today then add on the PSU tomorrow or should I wait to build everything tomorrow? Sorrry if this is not the right sub forum. :P

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

I don't do a test before I start with the case lol I just build into the case right away

Test everything on a test bench or mobo box then if it posts, build into the case (lot easier when its open like that to find the issue) 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

If you have the extra time on your hands then I guess. However depending on return policies for certian components such as the cpu, they might not let you take it back once it has been out of the box for however long.

I  have built all the PC's I have made so far straight into the case and I haven't had any problems as of yet.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I like to test on the testbench before installing in a case.

if everything works fine before you install it in the case, and then perhaps for some reason it doesnt boot or you have issues after its installed, you know it has to do with the installation, not faulty parts.

if you have a motherboard box, you have a test bench.

i usually spend a week or two overclocking on the testbench before installing in a case. If your not overclocking it still is a good idea to stress test at least once to make sure all your parts are functional when received.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I like to test on the testbench before installing in a case.

if everything works fine before you install it in the case, and the perhaps for some reason it doesnt boot or you have issues after its installed, you know it has to do with the installation, not faulty parts.

if you have a motherboard box, you have a test bench.

i usually spend a week or two overclocking on the testbench before installing in a case. If your not overclocking it still is a good idea to stress test at least once to make sure all your parts are functional when received.

I will probably die of impatience before the PSU can arrive tomorrow :3

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

that is a pretty sweet rig linus has got setup there

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I would just build everything today and plug in the power tmrw to perform a POST test on a motherboard box (like a test bench) to test all the components at once and save you time tmrw in building it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

don't install water cooler outside of case, that is obvious but other them that it should be fine, even large gpu etc. are easy to remove, now first one and expensive one is a whole different story when it comes to building and concentration/confidence

good idea thought

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

I haven't done testing before building yet. But after watching few videos (one where Paul from Newegg has faulty psu) I do see point in it. If something is wrong it'll be more work for you. I wouldn't put mobo to case before psu. Cables are easier to get behind mobo tray and out from right holes when mobo isn't yet installed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm guilty of not doing a test before I started building. I was really excited to get started. But I know better when I do another build at a later time.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Its just a good habit to do so before you put it in a case. If your parts work just fine, then thats great, but if you got a rotten egg for a part in the mix somewhere, then finding it while testing on a mobo box will save you A LOT of hassle.

Build 1: CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.7 GHz, GPU: GTX 660 Ti, Mobo: Asrock Z68 Pro3-M, RAM: 8GB Samsung "wonder ram" @ 2133 Storage: SanDisk Extreme 240GB

Build 2: CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6 GHz GPU: GTX 780, Mobo: Asus z87-Pro RAM: Same as build 1. Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

NAS: FreeNAS running on core 2 Quad Q8400, 8GB RAM, 6 x Seagate 2TB. Dont bother with SanDisk SSD's, just don't.

Hi,

I'm getting the new parts to my PC today. However the only part that I'm not getting shipped today is the psu. I'm really eager to start building my new PC. What is the risk of building your PC without testing for the POST first? Should I build everything today then add on the PSU tomorrow or should I wait to build everything tomorrow? Sorrry if this is not the right sub forum. :P

dont fuck up, it probably just be better to wait since you wouldn't be able to do anything, you could screw in your standoffs and put in your hdd and stuff but you shouldn't quite put your mobo in anyway. Cable management takes up most of the time building a pc so just wait.

Getting DOA hardware doesn't really happen that often its usually a lot of error by the consumer when people leave reviews, they wash off their psu with salt water and try and turn it on.  Don't touch everything and don't rush anything.

Hi,

I would wait until the PSU arrives. I personally don't do test but it is wise to do.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Didn't test anything. PSU arrived this morning,posts no problem. Now installing windows 8 :)