Which 970?

Issun
Go to solution Solved by Rampiks,

MSI. The strix is quiet, but it can't overclock to save its own life.

the msi is actually more quiet (it too has zero fan mode and since it has better cooling fans don't ramp up as much) my lower card hovers at 65* under full load

Hey guys.

So I've finally decided to upgrade my GTX 570 and was wondering which 970 to get.

The local store has the Asus Strix and MSI Gaming, which cost pretty much the same.

Will either fit in a Fractal Design R5?

My current monitor is 1080p 120hz, so I guess 4GB is enough for now?

Thanks

of those two defiantly the MSI one as it as much better cooling and yes they will fit

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

the msi is actually more quiet (it too has zero fan mode and since it has better cooling fans don't ramp up as much) my lower card hovers at 65* under full load

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

Between the two, definitely the Twin Frozr V. The Strix's power delivery is very mediocre.

Do they not have any other brands? Gigabyte?

"Rawr XD"

They have the Asus 970 mini and EVGA FTW+, but they cost a bit more.

They have the Asus 970 mini and EVGA FTW+, but they cost a bit more.

i'd still say go for the MSI one :)

i'd still say go for the MSI one :)

Yea, I'm not interested in paying even more for almost the same, which is why I only listed the two initially :P

I've never even heard my ASUS fans when gaming. Only time I've ever actually heard them is when I was playing around with the asus software and ramped them up to full. when gaming, it's never gotten above 65c

Great, now people have 27 "Which 970?" topics to choose from.

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P CPU: AMD FX 8350 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8gb (2x4gb@1600Mhz) GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x (factory oc) PSU: Thermaltake SmartSE 730w Case: Corsair 200R

Blog thingy <----

lol

I've never even heard my ASUS fans when gaming. Only time I've ever actually heard them is when I was playing around with the asus software and ramped them up to full. when gaming, it's never gotten above 65c

before i went SLI there was no noise difference between desktop and gaming. my gpu was OCed pretty hard (can't remember what clock speeds) but i had to ditch it when i went SLI (since the top card draws hot air from the lower one) BTW 65* was from aida64 iirc

yeah i thought for a second that it was e repost of another thread i replied to earlier :P GTX 970 is just really popular i guess  

before i went SLI there was no noise difference between desktop and gaming. my gpu was OCed pretty hard (can't remember what clock speeds) but i had to ditch it when i went SLI (since the top card draws hot air from the lower one)

Yeah, I need SLI because one 970 just barely runs triple monitor surround at an acceptable rate. Might just sell one of my guns and my GPU and buy a 980ti or something (or maybe an AMD Fury depending on performance.)

yeah i thought for a second that it was e repost of another thread i replied to earlier :P GTX 970 is just really popular i guess  

What bugs me is that people won't fucking google this shit or search for a similar post in the forums here.. You can find at least another 10 like that posted these couple of months alone.

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P CPU: AMD FX 8350 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8gb (2x4gb@1600Mhz) GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x (factory oc) PSU: Thermaltake SmartSE 730w Case: Corsair 200R

Blog thingy <----

Yeah, I need SLI because one 970 just barely runs triple monitor surround at an acceptable rate. Might just sell one of my guns and my GPU and buy a 980ti or something (or maybe an AMD Fury depending on performance.)

yeah for silence i would definitely sold my 970 and bought a 980ti if i knew what temps and loadness i was getting (upper card gets to 80*C with one slot spacing). but thankfully it's dead silent at the desktop :) (idles at 37*c if i turn off no fan mode) 

yeah for silence i would definitely sold my 970 and bought a 980ti if i knew what temps and loadness i was getting (upper card gets to 80*C with one slot spacing). but thankfully it's dead silent at the desktop :) (idles at 37*c if i turn off no fan mode) 

Well, if I had the money I would go SLI and just water cool the both of them because: swag

Well, if I had the money I would go SLI and just water cool the both of them because: swag

i would still get 980ti because of VRAM

i would still get 980ti because of VRAM

Perhaps. Stuff like Dying Light tends to max me out on Vram, even though I'm only running 5760x1080

What bugs me is that people won't fucking google this shit or search for a similar post in the forums here.. You can find at least another 10 like that posted these couple of months alone.

Wow, calm down. I thought it would be a nice way to actually start using the forum.

Good job killing any enthusiasm for continuing.

Thank you for actually answering earlier. I have a spare copy of Portal and Dark Souls, pick one if you want one.

Wow, calm down. I thought it would be a nice way to actually start using the forum.

Good job killing any enthusiasm for continuing.

Thank you for actually answering earlier. I have a spare copy of Portal and Dark Souls, pick one if you want one.

You are somewhat excluded from the rant since you are new here, if not completely, but the issue persists. It would be nice to consider googling something before adding just another one of the same post to the stack.

Blog thingy <----

hmmm Thank you :) ill take portal, my steam is Rampiks1 (profile picture is of dolan)

BTW don't care about him.. there is nothing wrong about asking just because someone else did it ;)