Dog ripped off wire copper on hard-drive, possible to still get some files off it?

d4jsp
Go to solution Solved by MG2R,

And this is where the discussion ends.

@d4jsp, all fine and dandy that you have a different view about computer repairs. Discuss those views all you want, we have no issue with that. What we don't allow over here is hostility and name calling.

Locked.

PS:

• “When You Resort To Name Calling, You’ve Lost The Argument” -- Anthony Watts
  • “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” -- Socrates

Well, I'm pretty convinced you'll end up with two dead drives. If not dead, at least without any readable data...

Best of luck, though.

Well, if they cannot do it.. I'll just re-buy the same model drive off ebay again ($10) and go to a different computer shop and tell them to xfer the platter over lol. I swear, these computer shops better get their shit together.

I swear, these computer shops better get their shit together.

This really has nothing to do at all with whether or not the computer shops.

This has to do with technical details of HDDs, because those things are on the same level of meticulous engineering as ICs.

There's a reason hard drive recovery is usually done in lab conditions instead of in some bloke's shed.

Anyways, if it does turn out alright, let me know.

This really has nothing to do at all with whether or not the computer shops.

This has to do with technical details of HDDs, because those things are on the same level of meticulous engineering as ICs.

There's a reason hard drive recovery is usually done in lab conditions instead of in some bloke's shed.

Anyways, if it does turn out alright, let me know.

I believe it does because I've called and been to numerous shops and they all declined to help me 'solder' the wire copper on. So guess what I had to do? Do it by myself. They are a disgrace to the computer industry. They, like I said, need to get their shit together.

This one shop is good though and do have their shit together so im very lucky they are atleast trying now to be honest.

And i'll let you know l8er today if they do call :)

I believe it does because I've called and been to numerous shops and they all declined to help me 'solder' the wire copper on. So guess what I had to do? Do it by myself. They are a disgrace to the computer industry. They, like I said, need to get their shit together.

This one shop is good though and do have their shit together so im very lucky they are atleast trying now to be honest.

And i'll let you know l8er today if they do call :)

Computer shops are not hardware engineer shops. There are data recovery companies that are here for that - and a small shop will not risk damaging someones data more when no one will have the tools, training, etc necessary to work on that. There is a reason most data recovery companies cost hundreds of dollars to recover data. And the money technicians get paid at most shops is not enough to hire someone with any of that training or knowledge. (a little over minimum wage in many cases - maybe a bit more than that occasionally). 

The consumer PC industry is a disposable PC industry now. Nothing is worth the time and expertise for soldering, so no one is trained in it for PC parts. The exception is data recovery. 

To transfer a platter? You need a medical-grade clean room and expensive equipment. 1 spec of dust can wipe out the sensors and damage the platters. There also is likely a spacing/exact positioning issue as well. Not sure. 

But other than those, yeah, many shops suck. I feel like I was lucky enough to be at the shop that people when to when others screwed them over.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Computer shops are not hardware engineer shops. There are data recovery companies that are here for that - and a small shop will not risk damaging someones data more when no one will have the tools, training, etc necessary to work on that. There is a reason most data recovery companies cost hundreds of dollars to recover data. And the money technicians get paid at most shops is not enough to hire someone with any of that training or knowledge. (a little over minimum wage in many cases - maybe a bit more than that occasionally). 

The consumer PC industry is a disposable PC industry now. Nothing is worth the time and expertise for soldering, so no one is trained in it for PC parts. The exception is data recovery. 

To transfer a platter? You need a medical-grade clean room and expensive equipment. 1 spec of dust can wipe out the sensors and damage the platters. There also is likely a spacing/exact positioning issue as well. Not sure. 

But other than those, yeah, many shops suck. I feel like I was lucky enough to be at the shop that people when to when others screwed them over.

Doesn't matter. Computer Shop / Repair is covering all those issues. If you are a business and if you have a slogan 'Computer Repair' and if a customer needs something done on his hard drive, they should beable to fix it. No if, buts about it.

'The consumer PC industry is a disposable PC industry now. Nothing is worth the time and expertise for soldering, so no one is trained in it for PC parts. The exception is data recovery. '

That's the problem I am having. They really do not mean what they really mean which is very, VERY sad an an absolute disgrace to the company industry and to programmers like myself.

Either they need to change their slogan to say something different, or do not have 'Computer Repair' underneath it.

I find it hilarious how I walked in at the first computer shop and the guy gave me a referral brochure to drivesafers so he will get a bit of $ if I used them (to use their reference code) that's absolutely a disgrace.

Doesn't matter. Computer Shop / Repair is covering all those issues. If you are a business and if you have a slogan 'Computer Repair' and if a customer needs something done on his hard drive, they should beable to fix it. No if, buts about it.

'The consumer PC industry is a disposable PC industry now. Nothing is worth the time and expertise for soldering, so no one is trained in it for PC parts. The exception is data recovery. '

That's the problem I am having. They really do not mean what they really mean which is very, VERY sad an an absolute disgrace to the company industry and to programmers like myself.

Either they need to change their slogan to say something different, or do not have 'Computer Repair' underneath it.

I find it hilarious how I walked in at the first computer shop and the guy gave me a referral brochure to drivesafers so he will get a bit of $ if I used them (to use their reference code) that's absolutely a disgrace.

Solder are no longer applicable under normal loads and PC repairs are about unit part replacement. That is how it works now. If You don't like it go back to the 80s when thing worked differently.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Solder are no longer applicable under normal loads and PC repairs are about unit part replacement. That is how it works now. If You don't like it go back to the 80s when thing worked differently.

And who the fuck are you?

Companies should not include 'Computer Repair' under their brand name or be used as a slogan if they cannot fix a soldering issue with a hard-drive. (Or cannot transfer a SINGLE PLATTER OVER). That's funny, because the shop that has my fucking drives right now said they have a 'soldering' technician that will work with it. Some are good, and some are misleading. Seems to me, you're an arrogant child.

If a computer shop is going to advertise 'Computer Repair' they better damn well mean it, if not, they are worthless and misleading customers. That's the bottom line, if you don't like it ,you go back to the fucking 80's pal. You can take your argumentative, acetone tone and throw it out the door.

And this is where the discussion ends.

@d4jsp, all fine and dandy that you have a different view about computer repairs. Discuss those views all you want, we have no issue with that. What we don't allow over here is hostility and name calling.

Locked.

PS:

• “When You Resort To Name Calling, You’ve Lost The Argument” -- Anthony Watts
  • “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” -- Socrates