low 7970 gpu usage on crysis 3 beta

BroliviaWilde

No matter what gfx settings I have crysis 3 on, the gpu usage is always around 60-70%. Only programs I have running is Origin, MSI afterburner and crysis 3.

I have the asus p8z77 v-pro MB, i7-2600k cpu, Diamond 7970 gfx card, 16 gb of ram set at 1333, and running the 13.2 drivers for AMD cards. Also, all hardware is running at stock speeds, meaning nothing is OC. I got the same usage percentage running the 13.1 drivers as well.

I can't figure out why the card is only running that percentage of the gpu when running crysis 3. When I run bf3, hitman absolution, even an older game like far cry 2, the gpu usage will be at or around 95% or up.

Right now, I can run the game at high settings, with only water turned down to medium and only the minimum AAx2 just to get around 45-60fps. It seems to me that if the gpu would be fully utilized that it would get even better performance.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Rock On!

1. your title is your answer ( beta game )

2. w8 for the game to come out, and play it then, or just keep stalking the game site for new info and updates...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

it might be the vsync, but it can also be the drivers that is not optimized for crysis 3 yet.

it might be the vsync, but it can also be the drivers that is not optimized for crysis 3 yet.
i doubt it has anything to do with V-sync, crysis 3 should destroy any modern day GPU, there should be no game that can utilize more than crysis 3 so far, so it should be the drivers, DX 11 cry engine 3 is brutal on your card, and with crysis 2 maxed out you should still go over 80% of your card on ultra, 3 should be much more intense.

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Hello Sir,

Try downloading the new AMD CATALYST 13.2 Beta (If you don't have it already). It is said to increase performance of Crysis 3 by 15%.

Good Luck!

-Bender

CASE: Corsair 400R CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition MOBO: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula COOLER: CORSAIR H50

GPU1: ASUS 6970 DirectCU II GPU2: VisionTek 6970 2GB

PSU: CORSAIR HX1050 RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz

I think I figured out my problem with low GPU usage. It isn't the cpu being bottlenecked, it isn't the hardware, it isn't the driver version, and not vsync or any other in-game video settings.

What I found out is that it is how I installed the 13.2 driver. What I did was just install 13.2 over 13.1, but that was giving some weird behaviour including low gpu usage.

​

Best thing to do is completely uninstall your older driver, whether it is version 12.x or if you even have 13.1, you need to uninstall that older driver first. Best way to do that is to go to the below website and download AMD's driver removal tool:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

Run that to uninstall older driver, then reboot your system. Then do a fresh install of 13.2. My gpu usage is now at about 95-99% which means I can run the game in very high settings including water detail, and also run with a lower AA setting and still get a solid 60+ fps. This is a huge improvement over what I was getting.

Rock On!

It's always smart to uninstall old drivers before installing new ones, glad you figured out the problem. Happy fragging.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide