Koss Porta Pros headphone review

more phone pics with LED strip lighting, yay

IMAG0058_zps5b84a216.jpg

Build

I never know where to start on these reviews, but I'll start it from the top.

The headband is 2 thin strips of aluminum.

It would have been nice to incorporate a cover so tiny hairs don't get cought, as pulling hairs out of your scalp hurts, a lot.

I would have also liked to see some notches so it stays the size you want it as I have to hold the headband where I want as I put them on,

IMAG0062_zpsc8642c04.jpg

There is a small metal clip so when folded up you can clip it and make it even smaller.

The earpads are just a little thick for being put in a pocket when folded up, but they still remain pretty small. They do come with a small pouch that they fit in when folded.

IMAG0060_zpsfc417dab.jpg

For some reason someone thought these little tabs were a great idea.

it goes from light to firm and only adjusts the angle of the earcups. They don't clip in, and it gets reset to firm if you fold up the earcups.

I might consider using them if they locked in a position, but it doesn't seem to change much anyway so I just leave it at firm.

IMAG0061_zps014ba9a4.jpg

Sound

Innerfidelity graphs here

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/KossPortaPro.pdf

BASS, WOW, you like bass get these, there's tons of it.

Fortunately they don't just out shake all the mids and treble, but they are recessed in comparison.

They still remain to sound composed and fairly linear(not neutral flat, but I feel they lack severe dips/peaks) even having as much bass as they do.

My Ideal phone would have lower bass and much more treble, but at $35 for something portable, I can't complain.

IMAG0059_zpsa9582ad8.jpg

Final Thoughts

Not a perfect headphone, but they only cost $35

If they were my main headphone, I think I would have still been happy with them if they cost twice what I paid.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Good review although I really don't like the look of these still can't complain for the price

Nice review! Other than loosing a hair each  time you take them off, like you mantioned i think this is about as much "bang for the buck" as you can get. Girlfriend using them as we speak,(advantage of longer hair seems to be that it doesn't get caught in the headband  :) Not my primays, but I've recommended them to  several freinds who also seem very pleased.

• 3 months later...

My biggest complaint of the Koss PP is the utter shit build, but maybe I just have high standards.

• 1 month later...

My dad actually loves these headphones and seems to think of these as the best he's ever tried so far, he has quite a lot of bass in his music and I think that's what he's come to love in headphones :P I'l get him to listen to my Sennheiser HD202s when they arrive and see what he thinks but tbh these headphones are amazing, I used them for about 4 months and they are extremely comfortable and their openness gives such a natural sound :P tbh I agree that if I had payed double (or payed at all xD) I would have been quite happy for these, the build quality is quite bad though I must say as they snapped after I dropped my bag about 30cm off the ground which was the end of them :P I got a second pair though which I proceeded to lose :( oh and I forgot, they leak like crazy, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE THEM FOR PRON!

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

more phone pics with LED strip lighting, yay

Build

I never know where to start on these reviews, but I'll start it from the top.

The headband is 2 thin strips of aluminum.

It would have been nice to incorporate a cover so tiny hairs don't get cought, as pulling hairs out of your scalp hurts, a lot.

I would have also liked to see some notches so it stays the size you want it as I have to hold the headband where I want as I put them on,

There is a small metal clip so when folded up you can clip it and make it even smaller.

The earpads are just a little thick for being put in a pocket when folded up, but they still remain pretty small. They do come with a small pouch that they fit in when folded.

For some reason someone thought these little tabs were a great idea.

it goes from light to firm and only adjusts the angle of the earcups. They don't clip in, and it gets reset to firm if you fold up the earcups.

I might consider using them if they locked in a position, but it doesn't seem to change much anyway so I just leave it at firm.

Sound

Innerfidelity graphs here

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/KossPortaPro.pdf

BASS, WOW, you like bass get these, there's tons of it.

Fortunately they don't just out shake all the mids and treble, but they are recessed in comparison.

They still remain to sound composed and fairly linear(not neutral flat, but I feel they lack severe dips/peaks) even having as much bass as they do.

My Ideal phone would have lower bass and much more treble, but at $35 for something portable, I can't complain.

Final Thoughts

Not a perfect headphone, but they only cost $35

If they were my main headphone, I think I would have still been happy with them if they cost twice what I paid.

Nice to see these still getting reviewed after what.... 20+ years of production? What they lack in "regular" design they make up for in sheer portability and bass-end sound, even if the mids and highs are a wee bit muddled. Biggest feature? Assisting cancer research supporters donate their hair - one strand at a time.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Good review although I really don't like the look of these still can't complain for the price

monoprice.......

$$金Trill金$$

nice review, but i cant stand on ear heaphones..

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

My biggest problem with Koss headphones is not the sound, but the braces that hold the elements on to your ears. Even when put in "firm" setting it does not do the elements in the ear peaces justice. If they only had tacked on a couple of more bucks to make the braces more robust I wouldn't think twice about buying them as a gift, which was an option at Christmas. Better braces, turn down the "Bass-Boost" and I think the Koss line would be considerably better.

Thoroughness rating
#########

Nice review, Koss seem to be a masters of overpowering bass for a low price. :D

How would you compare these to your 8323s?

I have some comparisons in my monoprice review.

link can be found in my sig.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Found the loss of hair by far the biggeat problem with theese headphones, other than that it's awesome sound, considering the price. 

A solution to this would be to grow longer hair, my gf uses the porta pros, after I upgraded to Senn 380Pros, and I haven't heard her complain once on this issue, nor have I noticed any bald spots =P