Kingston USB Drive 'Write Protected'

Virus__
Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

It's not picking up any of my USB flash drives, picks up my external USB hard drive though..

maybe that works for HDD

try this few

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-check-and-test-usb-flash-drive/

So I have a Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 64gb USB drive and all of a sudden it has been made into a read-only device. I was able to put files on it last night (video files) to watch on my TV, now I can't do anything.

I've tried various methods I have found across a few websites that supposedly fix this issue, but none have worked. I have checked the security permissions all indicate it is read & write, etc, even trying to clear the readonly attribute in command prompt does nothing even the Kingston software for restoring it back to factory settings does nothing. Also according the Kingston website it may now be a faulty drive, and I should contact them for a replacement..

But I thought i'd ask here before submitting a warranty claim, since I only bought it back in November 2014. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

are you able to use disk management and format the drive?

how about diskpart in CMD?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Some storage devices have a lockdown system that kicks in once the flash is no longer safe to write to. What you are experiencing is most likely this. It allows you to copy all your files off the drive without degrading it further (and possibly losing important files) before, in some cases, shutting off completely.

You could try different ways of formatting, such as through cmd. IME it can fix drives that some of the software formatters could not.

are you able to use disk management and format the drive?

how about diskpart in CMD?

Nope, can't format it in CMD, Disk Manager etc..

I had a look there, it's read-only is set to 'no' but current read-only state is set to 'yes' as you can see here.

JcwinA0.png

Some storage devices have a lockdown system that kicks in once the flash is no longer safe to write to. What you are experiencing is most likely this. It allows you to copy all your files off the drive without degrading it further (and possibly losing important files) before, in some cases, shutting off completely.

I see, well if that is the case doesn't sound like it's a good outcome..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Nope, can't format it in CMD, Disk Manager etc..

I had a look there, it's read-only is set to 'no' but current read-only state is set to 'yes' as you can see here.

JcwinA0.png

I see, well if that is the case doesn't sound like it's a good outcome..

try with crystaldiskinfo and see if the result is good or not

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

try with crystaldiskinfo and see if the result is good or not

It's not picking up any of my USB flash drives, picks up my external USB hard drive though..

maybe that works for HDD

try this few

maybe that works for HDD

try this few

Thank you! I used RMPrepUSB and got it to wipe the drive, then formatted it back to NTFS and I can now write to it, thanks heaps for that!!