!nverse: A Highly Versatile Console Form-Factor Case Design

esplin2966

Thanks for the support! I will definitely raise the case feet by a few mm for the next prototype. Exactly how much would be up to testing.

I think the main takeaway of this set of tests is that with raised case feet, this case performs fairly well relative to an optimal configuration (open air), which is all anyone can wanted from any case. To make sure the test was the worst case scenario, I overclocked the i5 as much as possible and used basically the hottest GPU on the market. This way, people don't have to worry much about their choice of components.

i5 with a GTX 950? What kind of build are you planning to go for?

Uh~ quick question, will it fit a Sapphire Tri-X R9 390 ?

Uh~ quick question, will it fit a Sapphire Tri-X R9 390 ?

Right now, it just barely won't fit the Tri-X. However, I'm planning to add a few mm's in that dimension for the next design iteration, so rest assured that it will fit in the final version.

Update 10/13/2015:

Put a 50" TV overtop the !nverse Prototype. Here are some photos:

Sj4abp8.jpg?1

gCsar97.jpg?1

As can be seen, the case holds the TV over it with no problem.

Also finished the fitment tests. Here are some photos:

Air Cooling Configuration:

yB7TjXE.jpg?1

ECwQgUp.jpg?1

If using SFX PSU or SFX-L PSU, this configuration fits 3 x 3.5" hard drive and 2 x 2.5" hard drive.

120mm AIO Cooling Configuration:

Y4suutJ.jpg?2

zMP0jdu.jpg?1

If using SFX PSU, this configuration fits 2 x 3.5" hard drive and 2 x 2.5" hard drive. If using SFX-L PSU, this configuration fits 1 x 3.5" hard drive and 2 x 2.5" hard drive.

240mm AIO Cooling Configuration:

fr9SCrZ.jpg?1

km3xwcC.jpg?1

If using either SFX or SFX-L PSU, this configuration fits 2 x 2.5" hard drive.

Media Storage Configuration:

mZwjtfQ.jpg?1

zycu71j.jpg?1

0PKA2Ow.jpg?1

If using SFX PSU, this configuration fits 8 x 3.5" hard drive and 4 x 2.5" hard drive. if using SFX-L PSU, this configuration fits 7 x 3.5" hard drive and 4 x 2.5" hard drive.

So much space in such a tiny frame. Thats more HDD's than my tower case can handle!

:D

Cases could and should be smaller!

Update 10/17/2015:

Hey everyone, a quick update from me. I have done the PCIe riser test with 5 different risers:

1) 300mm unshielded PCIe riser cable.

2) 300mm unshielded PCIe riser cable wrapped in aluminum foil.

3) 300mm unshielded PCIe riser cable wrapped in EMI shielding tape.

4) 300mm LiHead Type B PCIe riser cable.

5) 500mm 3M PCIe riser cable.

Basically, using each of these cables, I run Unigine Valley Benchmark and compare the scores attained. Here are my results:

1) System does not boot.

2) System does not boot.

3) System boots, but graphics crashes when running Unigine Valley.

4) System boots, and runs Unigine Valley Benchmark fine. Average FPS is about 89.

5) System boots, and runs Unigine Valley Benchmark fine. Average FPS is about 91.

From this test, it is clear that DIY solutions to shielding the PCIe riser cable does not work. The LiHeat cable performs slightly worse than the 3M cable, but at less than half the price. Therefore, I think the LiHeat cables are what we'll be bundling with the !nverse case. Now we need to see what kind of bulk discount we can get.

Thanks for reading!

Update 10/17/2015:

Hey everyone, a quick update from me. I have done the PCIe riser test with 5 different risers:

1) 300mm unshielded PCIe riser cable.

2) 300mm unshielded PCIe riser cable wrapped in aluminum foil.

3) 300mm unshielded PCIe riser cable wrapped in EMI shielding tape.

4) 300mm LiHead Type B PCIe riser cable.

5) 500mm 3M PCIe riser cable.

Basically, using each of these cables, I run Unigine Valley Benchmark and compare the scores attained. Here are my results:

1) System does not boot.

2) System does not boot.

3) System boots, but graphics crashes when running Unigine Valley.

4) System boots, and runs Unigine Valley Benchmark fine. Average FPS is about 89.

5) System boots, and runs Unigine Valley Benchmark fine. Average FPS is about 91.

From this test, it is clear that DIY solutions to shielding the PCIe riser cable does not work. The LiHeat cable performs slightly worse than the 3M cable, but at less than half the price. Therefore, I think the LiHeat cables are what we'll be bundling with the !nverse case. Now we need to see what kind of bulk discount we can get.

Thanks for reading!

Heck I'll gladly sacrifice 1-2 fps to keep costs down. And that's easily within margin of error, too. Glad testing is going along smoothly. Keep it up! :D

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Heck I'll gladly sacrifice 1-2 fps to keep costs down. And that's easily within margin of error, too. Glad testing is going along smoothly. Keep it up! :D

Thanks! Someone on another forum suggested that since I'm using the very power-hungry R9 390, the reason the unshielded cables weren't working may be because they're having trouble pushing out the required power for the length. I have ordered a powered, unshielded PCIe riser cable to test if that's true.