gtx 260 @ 1080p

Arunas

hello i have xfx gtx 280 OC version and 750 psu, and when i trying to play bf3 in 1080p low it runs fine but it freezes and need to restart pc manualy, but if i run in 720p in medium settings it runs fine like map sometimes 2 or 3 maps , can anyone tell me whats wrong with card? im getting new psu soon ocz 1250w , because my cpu is 3930k just cant afford new gfx at the moment. maybe u guys have more ideas then me, help me

My PC Specs is:
i7 3930k @ 4.1ghz, 16gb 2133mhz rams running at around 2000mhz, 256gb ocz agillity3 ssd x2 raid 0 stripe 128kb, EVGA GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 SLI, ocz 1250w psu, asus p9x79deluxe motherboard, Cooler H100i
Windows 8 x64 PRO

first I have to ask do you have a 260 or 280? 750w is plenty.

Try updating your drivers. It could just not have enough memory. The 260 is if I remember correctly some odd amount of memory. Just under 900MB and the 280 is 1GB. My guess is you're running out of memory.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

It could also be overheating if it hasn't been cleaned since you bought it.

its clean, it never goes more then 70 degrees, its 896mb, i have other 260 but not oc its referense and goes fine on 1080p but getting lower fps, other games on 1080p goes fine, except bf3, tried lowering oc and nothing helped, drivers are up to date, tried alot versions of drivers all the same. so i have no idea whats wrong with it...

My PC Specs is:
i7 3930k @ 4.1ghz, 16gb 2133mhz rams running at around 2000mhz, 256gb ocz agillity3 ssd x2 raid 0 stripe 128kb, EVGA GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 SLI, ocz 1250w psu, asus p9x79deluxe motherboard, Cooler H100i
Windows 8 x64 PRO

Have you tried running it at reference clocks and voltages?

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Have you tried running it at reference clocks and voltages?

yes i tried and still the same thing

My PC Specs is:
Windows 8 x64 PRO

hello i have xfx gtx 280 OC version and 750 psu' date=' and when i trying to play bf3 in 1080p low it runs fine but it freezes and need to restart pc manualy, but if i run in 720p in medium settings it runs fine like map sometimes 2 or 3 maps , can anyone tell me whats wrong with card? im getting new psu soon ocz 1250w , because my cpu is 3930k just cant afford new gfx at the moment. maybe u guys have more ideas then me, help me[/quote']

The card could be dying, or the PSU could be getting faulty.

Since lowering the resolution eliminates the problem that's very indicative of a memory bottleneck .

I have a question though , how the hell do you have a 3930K and a GTX 260 on the same build ? that must be the weirdest combination of hardware I've seen yet .

hello i have xfx gtx 280 OC version and 750 psu' date=' and when i trying to play bf3 in 1080p low it runs fine but it freezes and need to restart pc manualy, but if i run in 720p in medium settings it runs fine like map sometimes 2 or 3 maps , can anyone tell me whats wrong with card? im getting new psu soon ocz 1250w , because my cpu is 3930k just cant afford new gfx at the moment. maybe u guys have more ideas then me, help me[/quote']

He'd probably see some artifacts, flickering or some sort of shenanigans if the GPU is really dying .

He'd probably see some artifacts' date=' flickering or some sort of shenanigans if the GPU is really dying .[/quote']

I've actually had two PSUs die recently in a friends and family rigs and all that happened were random restarts with the computer.

He is probably waiting for the next gen card. The GTX 260 is a quiet capable card for many games still. I have this card (I don't have BF3). My computer is a Core i7 930, 6GB of RAM triple channel 1600MHz :) I, probably like him, are waiting for the next gen GPU.

The games I play, are fine with my current card. I can still play them at max settings and or at worst medium settings for a solid 60fps experience.

Next gen console will definitly change that, and this is when I expect new generation GPU will come out or be out, and this is when I'll cash out.

Since lowering the resolution eliminates the problem that's very indicative of a memory bottleneck . I have a question though ' date=' how the hell do you have a 3930K and a GTX 260 on the same build ? that must be the weirdest combination of hardware I've seen yet .[/quote']

well im not rich guy who can afford all in one go im saving for parts, and yea waiting for the next gen it shouldnt be far, when i get my new psu , ill throw in second 260 and i think ill be fine, propably psu can cause the problem, ill wait a week and let you know guys it was psu or not. thanks for info.

My PC Specs is:
Windows 8 x64 PRO

Restarts are indeed indicative of low power delivery and therefore are directly related to PSUs.

I don't believe however that restarts can result from a dying graphics card.

He is probably waiting for the next gen card. The GTX 260 is a quiet capable card for many games still. I have this card (I don't have BF3). My computer is a Core i7 930, 6GB of RAM triple channel 1600MHz :) I, probably like him, are waiting for the next gen GPU.

The games I play, are fine with my current card. I can still play them at max settings and or at worst medium settings for a solid 60fps experience.

Next gen console will definitly change that, and this is when I expect new generation GPU will come out or be out, and this is when I'll cash out.

I have the infamous HD 4870 which is pretty much the main rival to the 260 back in the day.

I don't question the capability of the GPU at all...

What strikes me as being odd though is having a 100$ GPU along with a 500$ CPU in the same rig, unless the main focus is video editing or productivity I can't see those two going together... ever.

Restarts are indeed indicative of low power delivery and therefore are directly related to PSUs. I don't believe however that restarts can result from a dying graphics card.

You would be surprised how faulty hardware can act. Though the PSU / an overheating (CPU maybe) problem are more likely the culprit.

Since lowering the resolution eliminates the problem that's very indicative of a memory bottleneck .

I have a question though , how the hell do you have a 3930K and a GTX 260 on the same build ? that must be the weirdest combination of hardware I've seen yet .

Or it can mean your psu has some sensor issues, my tx 650 had the same problem, as long as i did not use more than 200w of power it was fine, after that it just shut down, and rebooted after 5 seconds because it overheated and the fan did not start, when you have memory bottleneck you lose framrate, but i have never seen a pc shut down because of it

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

That's a valid poin , but his PC does not restart or shut down on it's own, it simply freezes and he has to do a hard reset to get it started .

I used to have GTX 260 in SLI and could run BF3 medium settings in 1080p just fine. It could be done on high settings (not ultra) but then some dips would be too low in fps to make it playable. So I don't think he's running out of memory (2 cards in SLI keep the memory of 1 card). I might be wrong though. Imho I think the card is starting to die. But ofc that's just a wild guess.