Should I get a CPU upgrade?

Go to solution Solved by Coswar,

Hey guys,

I was thinking about getting a new CPU for my machine (link: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tdlab/saved/YnjRsY

I dont have a few parts listed on there, but power is not a issue, and neither is memory. (16 gigs over 4 slots of assorted brands)

I have my 2500k overclocked to 4ghz and it works flawlessly. I am able to play Hardline on max settings while still maintaining good (60+ fps) but I choose to put my settings a notch down on high to try to get a bit more frames and it works pretty well. I am looking to futureproof and get a slight performance buff.

So, what do you guys think for a upgrade, CPU or maybe something else?

No, your CPU will be fine for a least another year or 2 with the hardest to run games. I think that you'll be more likely to upgrade the GPU in a year before needing to touch the CPU. If you were rendering films then it would be a different story

Edit- And if you wanna squeeze more out of it then consider an AIO water cooler and do some overclocking, perhaps up to 4.5Ghz

Hey guys,

I was thinking about getting a new CPU for my machine (link: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tdlab/saved/YnjRsY

I dont have a few parts listed on there, but power is not a issue, and neither is memory. (16 gigs over 4 slots of assorted brands)

I have my 2500k overclocked to 4ghz and it works flawlessly. I am able to play Hardline on max settings while still maintaining good (60+ fps) but I choose to put my settings a notch down on high to try to get a bit more frames and it works pretty well. I am looking to futureproof and get a slight performance buff.

The 2500k is still a very capable cpu but if you want a new one look at the 4690k or 4790k which are the main ones

Then again you would have to buy a z97 mobo also

Hey guys,

No, your CPU will be fine for a least another year or 2 with the hardest to run games. I think that you'll be more likely to upgrade the GPU in a year before needing to touch the CPU. If you were rendering films then it would be a different story

Edit- And if you wanna squeeze more out of it then consider an AIO water cooler and do some overclocking, perhaps up to 4.5Ghz

Edited by Coswar

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

that's sandy bridge right??

You'd have to buy 2nd hand and try and find an i7 version

Looking for a job

Thank you all for your replies.

I have actually considered both suggestions here, and I may get another 290 and run it maybe in SLI, but damn that is a lot of heat and that card sure does get hot. As for the AIO idea, I have heard the horror stories about leaking, and I am a bit scared about that, have you ever had this problem, and can you suggest a good cooler?

I also have another PC that is meant to be a bit smaller and more portable, nothing serious to game on there, but it is in the BitFenix Prodigy M (Orange) case and can get a little toasty. Do you also recommend a AIO for this machine? It could get moved around alot especially if it is in the car and the road isn't very flat.

that's sandy bridge right??

You'd have to buy 2nd hand and try and find an i7 version

Yeah, it is. 

I have actually considered both suggestions here, and I may get another 290 and run it maybe in SLI, but damn that is a lot of heat and that card sure does get hot. As for the AIO idea, I have heard the horror stories about leaking, and I am a bit scared about that, have you ever had this problem, and can you suggest a good cooler?

I also have another PC that is meant to be a bit smaller and more portable, nothing serious to game on there, but it is in the BitFenix Prodigy M (Orange) case and can get a little toasty. Do you also recommend a AIO for this machine? It could get moved around alot especially if it is in the car and the road isn't very flat.

I have Corsair H80is in 2 of my systems and have never had an issue with leaking - I'd go for a h100i or one of the newer models for your main PC and there is a great extra thin h75 which would suit the smaller build!

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

I have Corsair H80is in 2 of my systems and have never had an issue with leaking - I'd go for a h100i or one of the newer models for your main PC and there is a great extra thin h75 which would suit the smaller build!

Thank you for all of your help. I have never really experimented with watercooling and would love to try it out. I know this isn't the watercooling thread but I would like to ask you if you think using one of NZXT's X Series AIO's instead of the h100i or h75. I really do like NZXT the case I purchased is a true beast and I have heard nothing but good things about their watercoolers AIO's, and they have a fancy program that goes along nicely with it so if I can fit the theme I think it would be a nice buff.

AIO's are very unlikely to leak but that's not saying it will not happen. I've had 2 AIO coolers a Corsair H100i and an NZXT Kraken x41 both worked flawlessly until I went for a custom loop. You can also cool your GPU with them if you get the NZXT G10 bracket or the new corsair one that's if you have the space for one.

Thank you for all of your help. I have never really experimented with watercooling and would love to try it out. I know this isn't the watercooling thread but I would like to ask you if you think using one of NZXT's X Series AIO's instead of the h100i or h75. I really do like NZXT the case I purchased is a true beast and I have heard nothing but good things about their watercoolers, and they have a fancy program that goes along nicely with it so if I can fit the theme I think it would be a nice buff.

I can't say I have any experience with NZXT AIOs, but I have heard they are reliable. You'll have to research yourself on the ones that suit you best though, because I don't know their product line up. DO look at the h75 for the Phantom anyway, because it's a really nice slim rad that suits small form factor PCs. 

PS- Ask in the watercooling subforum if you don't get any more help here :) but try not to call AIOs watercooling too often, because the proper water coolers might get offended ;)

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

AIO's are very unlikely to leak but that's not saying it will not happen. I've had 2 AIO coolers a Corsair H100i and an NZXT Kraken x41 both worked flawlessly until I went for a custom loop. You can also cool your GPU with them if you get the NZXT G10 bracket or the new corsair one that's if you have the space for one.

Thank you for the response. You have all greatly increased my trust in AIO leak safety. I saw a youtube video where someone ( I believe it was PCPER ) used the G10 for a 290 but I don't really feel comfortable about watercooling a GPU with that unless it was specifically made for that card, i'd probably end up breaking it somehow.

Found the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNoiqVTkxo

I can't say I have any experience with NZXT AIOs, but I have heard they are reliable. You'll have to research yourself on the ones that suit you best though, because I don't know their product line up. DO look at the h75 for the Phantom anyway, because it's a really nice slim rad that suits small form factor PCs. 

PS- Ask in the watercooling subforum if you don't get any more help here :) but try not to call AIOs watercooling too often, because the proper water coolers might get offended ;)

Hahaha, okay.  I appreciate all of your help and thanks a bunch.

Thank you for the response. You have all greatly increased my trust in AIO leak safety. I saw a youtube video where someone ( I believe it was PCPER ) used the G10 for a 290 but I don't really feel comfortable about watercooling a GPU with that unless it was specifically made for that card, i'd probably end up breaking it somehow.

Found the video : 

I know the feeling I felt the same when I did it to my GTX 970 it feels strange to disassemble a GPU but its well worth it! I was hitting around the 70's on the windforce cooler and the x41 got it down to the 60's and I run 3 monitors when I game, that's a lot of stress for a single GPU. With my custom loop it never exceeds the 50's. The issue I had with the 970 and the G10 was that my VRM was towards the front of the card not the back so the fan that comes with it was pretty useless, I also had to get little heatsinks for the memory as well as the pump only covers the GPU itself.