Why do people buy boring generic PC cases

The 700d specializes in water cooling. Some people also like the sleek non flashy look of the case too. You don't buy a 700d because you want flashing lights and neon green paint, you buy it for custom water cooling which in itself is not "boring". So is their PC really boring or not since they probably have a custom loop inside?

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I've always prefered the "sleeper" look, I don't like to showoff and I enjoy the feeling of being the only one who really knows what's inside. If I was to modify my car for example, I'd only do performance upgrades and keep the exterior as stock as possible.

For Me: It's the classic verbage: It's not what's on the outside that matters - It's what's on the inside. I tend to choose cases that are simpler, because it brings more attention to the inside(assuming windowed). Unlike components, where there are clearly x>y scenarios, most cases are just personal preference - a $200 case might be valued less than a $50 case depending on the individual. That's rarely(if ever) the case for components.  <---Get it? CASE for components....

*Insert Linus Fake Laughter Here* - Followed By:  *Luke's re-assuring comment here*

Some people want a simple look and dont want to look like a gamer they want something professional.

Because well... let's say someone breaks into your house. He sees a computer sitting in a simple case like the fractal design core 1000. Next to that, he sees something like a Logysis Dracula case.

Which one is the thief most likely to steal? The fractal one, or the flashy shiny ooo pretty pretty bling bling one? 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Taking pride in your parts is not bad, but there are quite a few reasons that people would pick simple cases.

1. Cases have no influence on performance. For example, I have a 13 year old Lian Li case, and it still holds up extremely freaking well. It also cools amazingly. Looks can be deceiving.

2. Some people like simple looks, as said before, and don't want their PC to be too flashy.

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

Lian Li guys

Because Lian Li can cost a heck of a lot more than a comparable corsair or fractal case, have worse cable management and generally worse stock cooling setup, and those who are on a bit of a budget are not going to spend half their budget on a case that looks decent on the exterior but looks like shit on the inside because they've had to buy cheap ass components and have nowhere to route the cables, making it look like a rats nest.

Yes, I will admit some Lian Li cases look good, but that's because they're well crafted, expensive aluminium cases. Yet I'd rather have my RV05 because I prefer the subtle, understated gamer style.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I Personally would never get a corsair/fractal/nzxt.

I'm good with clean looks, but I want it to be classy aluminum.

So I'm limited to Silverstone and Lian li

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Do you guys think the 760t (black) is boring or to over the top?

I like flashy cases, but I don't like cheap looking flashy cases maybe because I've only really had one good case. Some of the cheap cases:

71meULSPnhL._SL1200_.jpg

518LRpxmhWL._SX466_.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k. Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger GPU: MSI GTX 970 

I've never enjoyed having attention on myself. That transfers to the things I own as well. I really like the plain exterior of my Define R5 compared to other cases like Coolermaster's HAF series. 

Do you guys think the 760t (black) is boring or to over the top?

I think it's too plastic

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I bought the Thermaltake Chaser MK-I for it's size and features at a very good price.  I haven't made my build with it yet but I regret buying it because it looks like shit to me now....for some reason at the time I bought it, it looked fine.

what was I thinking!!!    It was one of those stupid impulse buys.

features-layout-1.jpg

apart from it being a eye sore, it has awesome features and excellent cooling.  Oh well!!!   this is my second regret case.  The one I really want is on the expensive side.

this beauty here!!!!

600tw_herob_glass_a_3.png

I don't care about the looks. I want it have the features I'm looking for, size, easy to build in, quality, and good cooling.

Most people that see my PC have no idea what they're looking at and honestly don't care. When it comes to a lot of things you have settle on 1 feature instead of another. How you make this decision is up to you. I would rather have a case with good features then cool looking. For example TN 144hz vs IPS. 

You buy a BMW M5. People that know what it is think it's cool but to the average people looks like a regular 5 series. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

yes!  but you're the one that has to stare at it all day..LOL!!!  For me the looks and color of a case is very important along with the features.

I will eventually buy myself the Corsair Graphite Series 600T(white), maybe a used like new from Amazon when I'm finally ready to build my next PC from my current  4+ years one.  I'll give the Chaser MK-I to my brother if he wants it or to my nephew. 

Probably neither one would want to be associated with that case...LOL!!!

I like the contrast between the clean (boring?) exterior of my case, and the flashy bling of the inside.

Hi, I like your Silverstone TJ07B-W, its awesome but yet "modest" looking love it

btw why did your review of the NZXT Phantom 820 was missing the maintenance of the filters part (side top and front) is it hard to get to them ?

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Depends on what you define as flashy. Some of the "gamer" cases look retarded, while some of the more "extreme" cases look kind of amazing, at least in my opinion.

Basically, I think a case looks good if it has a good window, LOTS of room for water cooling, rads, fans, etc. I like a more "extreme machine" look compared to the "wannabe console" look.

600tw_herob_glass_a_3.png

Yeah it's a nice looking case, but to me it just says "I want to look like a console with a window".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Trust me, my case does NOT go unnoticed ;)

248883-corsair-obsidian-series-800d-angl may not look as impressive in a picture, but in person it's freaking HUGE

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Trust me, my case does NOT go unnoticed ;)

-snip may not look as impressive in a picture, but in person it's freaking HUGE

Now that's what I like, not a boring little box filled with sound proofing crap, one that looks like it's made specifically for performance and nothing else. Like dis

11_Thermaltake-Core-X9-E_ATX-Cube-Case.j

I want one so bad, if only I could afford to actually fill it with all that stuff lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I think my red Phantom 410 strikes a great balance, without being too gaudy.