Boot time issue

ContraHacker

Hey guys,

My laptop takes ages to boot up. I have tried disabling a lot of auto startup programs and still it take more than 4 min 40 secs to do a refresh. Apart from installing a costly SSD is there any other solution? I am using Win 7 home basic. I have a defragmented 500GB HDD. And I have upgraded the RAM to 8 GB. Initially it was 4 GB. Other Specs : 

i5 Quad Core processor w/ Intel HD 3000 Series

AMD Radeon HD 7450M

If needed, I will provide any further information. 

Thanks! :D

Hey guys,

My laptop takes ages to boot up. I have tried disabling a lot of auto startup programs and still it take more than 4 min 40 secs to do a refresh. Apart from installing a costly SSD is there any other solution? I am using Win 7 home basic. I have a defragmented 500GB HDD. And I have upgraded the RAM to 8 GB. Initially it was 4 GB. Other Specs :

i5 Quad Core processor w/ Intel HD 3000 Series

AMD Radeon HD 7450M

If needed, I will provide any further information.

Thanks! :D

An SSD may help, but I think it might be time to do an OS reinstall. Often Windows just gets bogged down with its own junk over time, especially after a year or two.

Maybe try CCleaner first just to eliminate clutter and run a few scans with something like malwarebytes. Never know til you check.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

SSD would be the best solution, second best would be to reinstall OS

How about install a fresh copy ON the SSD?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

How about install a fresh copy ON the SSD?

Woah! Imaging a 15 sec boot time!! :D Thankx! 

4 mins sounds way too long , even my windows xp system back in the day was faster. Show us your startup programs please, I'm sure we might disable some more. Also your installed programs, maybe there is some unnecessary shit 

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

You can upgrade to Windows 8. Windows 8 takes advantage of UEFI boot in addition to the hybrid shutdown to deliver boot times as fast as less than 10 seconds.

Woah! Imaging a 15 sec boot time!! :D Thankx! 

Yeah, just download the Windows Media Creation Tool for Windows 8.1, then set it to 64-bit and create your relevant version. Boot into your BIOS and select the memory stick/CD that you copied the image to that says "UEFI". BOOT OFF THAT ONE for a UEFI install. then you are good to go after installing an SSD 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Yeah, just download the Windows Media Creation Tool for Windows 8.1, then set it to 64-bit and create your relevant version. Boot into your BIOS and select the memory stick/CD that you copied the image to that says "UEFI". BOOT OFF THAT ONE for a UEFI install. then you are good to go after installing an SSD 

That means I don't have to format my HDD just reinstall the OS?

That means I don't have to format my HDD just reinstall the OS?

No, you'll have to reinstall your OS, in fact you have to reformat your entire hdd in order to convert from mbr to gpt(used in EFI systems).