best PC speaker set up for 350$

Darkinstinct

thats good to know, thanks for informing me :) those polks look cool but are they meant to be used with a mix/dac im guessing they are from the lack of volume control, any suggestions on a set up using them?

Volume control is on the Lepai 2020A+ amp you'll need to get. You connect the amp to your mobo by a 3.5mm cable and connect the amp to the speakers with speaker wire. 

Don't bother with Logitechs. They don't actually sound that good. It's just a lot of people haven't heard anything better. 

Volume control is on the Lepai 2020A+ amp you'll need to get. You connect the amp to your mobo by a 3.5mm cable and connect the amp to the speakers with speaker wire. 

Don't bother with Logitechs. They don't actually sound that good. It's just a lot of people haven't heard anything better. 

would you happen to have a link for that amp?

if i were to pick up that pair of polk speakers with the amp you just mentioned, what else would you suggest adding to it? if i were to want better sound out of the set up at a later date or if i can get more money together before my purchase?

Your assumptions made me lol :)

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower Max AC | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz | GPU: MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G TwinFrozr V | Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE | Cooler: Corsair H105 Hydro |

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Storage: WD Caviar Black 3TB | Displays: Samsung P2450 & Samsung 2232GW | Keyboard: Tesoro Colada G3NL Black Aluminum (Cherry MX Brown)

To answer your question; yes the A5+'s are worth their pricetag and they have ample bass. Just no the deep-dredging 20hz subwoofer rumble. But neither do those 2.1 sets imho, and they use the subwoofer for mids aswell.

And you can always hook up a subwoofer on the outputs of the A5+ later.

would you recommend picking these up with the amp and that pair of speakers? Im looking to spend about 350$ on the speaker set up, maybe 400$ if its really worth the extra 50$

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0018QROM2/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

No. If you want surround layer on you would pick up more of the same speakers and a receiver. If you want a sub you should get a different one. That polk sub is really only good for movies and not music. I really just recommend replacing the bookshelves with something else though when you want to upgrade.

i would say get an external dac here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/AUDIOQUEST-DRAGONFLY-V1-2-USB-DAC/dp/B00H00VLZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419873394&sr=1-1&keywords=AudioQuest+DragonFly+USB

and a 2.1 speaker set up such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Soundsticks-III-Multimedia/dp/B0042F3K9W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419873477&sr=1-1&keywords=harman+kardon+soundsticks+iii

total is $320

i have the sound sticks they are great! especially for the price! i don't have the dac mentioned but everyone loves it! a DAC is always a worthy investment!

you dont need an amp if the speakers are powered, only if they are passive 

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

A dac doesn't do anything for a powered speaker.

incorrect. it processes the audio before going to the speakers. ensuring the best audio quality before being amplified. on-board audio has always been a bottle-neck so adding a usb dac to process the audio  substantially improves the the audio.  

Same can be said about the Lepai you're recommending. Logitech makes good products for a great price. Sure There are other options, but the Logitech is definitely one of them.

incorrect. it processes the audio before going to the speakers. ensuring the best audio quality before being amplified. on-board audio has always been a bottle-neck so adding a usb dac to process the audio substantially improves the the audio.

It makes no difference because onboard these days are great already and free. Usually if onboard isnt bad it's the amp. If you actually do a blind a/b yest you'll find that it makes no difference. The "better audio" you think you're hearing is simply placebo.

Same can be said about the Lepai you're recommending. Logitech makes good products for a great price. Sure There are other options, but the Logitech is definitely one of them.

Logitech is not an audio company... They are a peripheral company. And that lepai amp is just as good as many $100 amps so no it's not the same.

Logitech is not an audio company... They are a peripheral company. And that lepai amp is just as good as many $100 amps so no it's not the same.

um Logitech Ultimate Ears. their pro audio products... pardon you.

um Logitech Ultimate Ears. their pro audio products... pardon you.

They bought ultimate ears and the only products related to that company are named ultimate ears. Not the Logitech speakers. The Logitech speakers have nothing to do with Ultimate Ears.

deleted

That's a pretty shitty argument. The Lepai is a mediocre amp with tone control for a low price. That's why it sells so well. 

It can't compare at all with most 100 dollar amps. 

It makes no difference because onboard these days are great already and free. Usually if onboard isnt bad it's the amp. If you actually do a blind a/b yest you'll find that it makes no difference. The "better audio" you think you're hearing is simply placebo.

mmk i took a look at his part picker list. the on board dac on the maximus vii will be just fine. sorry didn't catch that before.

*so that being said OP check out the Harmon kardon sound sticks iii if you want to save some money they cost 170 and they're overkill for apartment living i can tell you they'll fill a  4 meter x 4 meter room with more than enough music but they arn't party speakers. they are a great buy. the corsair sp2500 cost 250 which are highly recommended for pc speakers. i own audioengine a5+'s and the s8 sub. frankly overkill for pc speakers but that set ups is bad ass. i purchased the bamboo version which looks great on my desk which ive matched the finish to(yes i refinished my own desk to match the speakers; im crazy). the a5+ retail for 400, the sub for 350. so you could start off wtih the a5+ and if you want more bass extension  add the sub!

That's a pretty shitty argument. The Lepai is a mediocre amp with tone control for a low price. That's why it sells so well. 

It can't compare at all with most 100 dollar amps. 

And your argument is like one on Head-Fi. There is absolutely no reason to spend more on an amp. They don't make much of a difference. Spending more on the speaker itself would make a much bigger difference anyway. 

Well I haven't experience with audio products (I've had a crappy "gaming" headset and Beats speakers on a laptop), so I take Linus' opinion who has extensive experience with all ranges of tech, as quite a reputable source. 

well thats a mistake. Im gonna go to a jack of all trades kind of guy if i need a repair made on my truck instead of a mechanic. 

With audio you have to try for yourself. not by someones opinion. no one has your ears man. people could hear something totally different than you. I guess thats the point im making.

And your argument is like one on Head-Fi. There is absolutely no reason to spend more on an amp. They don't make much of a difference. Spending more on the speaker itself would make a much bigger difference anyway. 

Meaning it's subjective? There are a lot of people out there modding the Lepai and getting improvement in sound (measurable). Bypassing the tone control also gives good results, meaning low quality components or bad pcb layout. It's a lot less worse with the newest revisions, but still. There is a lot to be gained, be it on the component quality, be it on the pcb layout, be it on tone control circuitry, be it on output power, be it with the PSU (not Lepai's fault).

I'm not saying that they're bad, but they're nowhere near perfect. 

Not trying to start a flame war BTW, just a discussion.

well darn.... now I guess im back where I was, I dont want the Logitech for personal reasons (I have had other products from them and they work great they just dont last long)

I want this speaker system to be able to grow with me in the future, im already building my new Rig with this in mind, i plan to build into this case for 4+ years basically, i dont want to have to rebuy a whole set up ever again if it can be avoided

much the same way i would like to start a speaker set up now, i have the 350$ left over from not using it in the computer rig and im allocating it into an audio budget basically lol i will have money in the future to add to this set up i just only have the 350-400$ as of right now because i want to stop using these 4 year old 25$ C.A. speakers and finally have some actually audio quality in my life.

If im going to just be replacing the speakers 1-2 years from now then they arnt worth the purchase pretty much. I liked the polk idea because it gives me the option of adding to it later but that AMP would be a good stand in until i buy something to be used with a multi speaker set up so its cheap enough that i dont mind buying it until i can get something better later aslong as the speakers arnt my limitation.

No. If you want surround layer on you would pick up more of the same speakers and a receiver. If you want a sub you should get a different one. That polk sub is really only good for movies and not music. I really just recommend replacing the bookshelves with something else though when you want to upgrade.

do you have a better use for the 400$ budget? speakers that will be even higher quality than the Polk ones? because those polks with the AMP will only be like 150$ (the polks are going for 130$ right now) lol that leaves most of the budget still

well darn.... now I guess im back where I was, I dont want the Logitech for personal reasons (I have had other products from them and they work great they just dont last long)

I want this speaker system to be able to grow with me in the future, im already building my new Rig with this in mind, i plan to build into this case for 4+ years basically, i dont want to have to rebuy a whole set up ever again if it can be avoided

much the same way i would like to start a speaker set up now, i have the 350$ left over from not using it in the computer rig and im allocating it into an audio budget basically lol i will have money in the future to add to this set up i just only have the 350-400$ as of right now because i want to stop using these 4 year old 25$ C.A. speakers and finally have some actually audio quality in my life.

If im going to just be replacing the speakers 1-2 years from now then they arnt worth the purchase pretty much. I liked the polk idea because it gives me the option of adding to it later but that AMP would be a good stand in until i buy something to be used with a multi speaker set up so its cheap enough that i dont mind buying it until i can get something better later aslong as the speakers arnt my limitation.

Audio is not like that. A good system today will still be a good system 3 years from now. If you want to spend all of your budget, i suggest the Audioengine A5+ but once you get over around $250 diminishing returns hits pretty hard. If this is your first sytem, the polk ones will be great. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between that and a more expensive one anyway.