DIY Cable Replacement for Headset

virtualTune

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right subforum, so forgive me if i am wrong. 

I have a 3+years old Logitech G35 Headset which I absolutely love. However, I bought it used and when i got it the cable was very curly and the sleeve was coming apart. I have been using it for almost 2 years now and sometimes I had to straighten the cable a bit before I could use it again, since the PC couldn't see it otherwise. 

Last week, I had the same issue, but since then I have only been able to get sound once for like 10 seconds before it disconnected again. I am thinking that the wires are all messed up inside the cable. 

So my question is, is there a way I could replace the cable? I already checked the logitech website and they say since it would void the guarantee they don't mke replacement parts. :(

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-vT

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

You could take a USB cable, and solder it inside there, but it will void your warranty.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Since it is a 7.1 surround headset, I do not have the knowledge to help you with replacing the cable by yourself. I once did it with a stereo gaming headset and I found it hard to do because I had to solder the cable to the wires in the headset. Even though it was only stereo, the cable had 5 different wires in it which had to be connected to the right wires in the headset (which had another color sleeving). Maybe if you go to some electronics shop or to someone who has the knowledge, they can help you out (although it kicks your warranty into oblivion like Morfy said). 

Wi RoZ

well the guarantee is outdated anyways. xD  any idea how i would ge the old cable out without destroying any parts?

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

I'd have to agree that soldering would probably be your best/only real option. As for taking them apart I don't own a pair myself but I found this photo set of someone taking a pair apart.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68653479@N07/sets/72157627892346814/

Looks like they aren't particularly easy to take apart however its possible, you might cause some damaged though as it looks as though some parts are glued together. Another option would be to cut off the cable around the top section somewhere provided the wires are still all connected to the pcb and solder and usb cable onto that point as this will save you having to open them up however this would look a little crappy imo.

Personally, I would try open it up and solder a new cable in as the would look the 'cleanest' of all your options. Failing that I would cut the cable close to where it runs into the headphones and attach a female usb connector (like this one, or even micro-usb http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10sets-USB-Type-A-A-2-0-Female-4-Pin-Plug-Connector-jack-Socket-for-DIY-/120994986577?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item1c2bdcfa51 ) and then use a standard usb cable to connect it to my pc as this would probably look a little tidier than just splicing two cables togther imo.

Let us know what you end up doing, best of luck if you decide to give soldering it a try.

Another option would be to cut off the cable around the top section somewhere provided the wires are still all connected to the pcb and solder and usb cable onto that point as this will save you having to open them up however this would look a little crappy imo.

Personally, I would try open it up and solder a new cable in as the would look the 'cleanest' of all your options.

thanks for the reply.

well I really wanna stay away from opening them up and messing with the pcb. Considering that I still have sound for one or two seconds when the cable is in a certain position (messy) I assume that the connection there is fine. As far as soldering a usb cable somehwere around the top I am a bit confused. Remember I have zero experience with electronics outside my pc ^^ 

Do you think it'll onlt be one wire? I thought there would be a wire for every aspect of the sound, so 8?

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

thanks for the reply.

well I really wanna stay away from opening them up and messing with the pcb. Considering that I still have sound for one or two seconds when the cable is in a certain position (messy) I assume that the connection there is fine. As far as soldering a usb cable somehwere around the top I am a bit confused. Remember I have zero experience with electronics outside my pc ^^ 

Do you think it'll onlt be one wire? I thought there would be a wire for every aspect of the sound, so 8?

It should be four wires to the best of my knowledge, they should be connected as per this diagram:

wt6ha.png

cpx101_2p2.gif

It would be a bit of a fiddly job for a first timer though and you would need a soldering iron and some solder at the very least (a cheapo iron can be had for about $15 ). It's relatively simple, you could watch some videos on soldering for help. Really up to you whether its worth spending the time and money to try and fix it or whether you're better off just replacing it.

thanks for the picture! 

I just found out that a friend's dad is an electro engineer. I will contact him and see if he can solder it. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs