Different Panel Types

Emkryan

So I want to learn a bit more about different types of monitor panels so I made this thread. So far I know that TN panels are the lowest in quality and PLS is the best, and then you have VA,IPS and IPS-pro. Anyone care to enlighten me further? Many thanks in advance.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

There's pretty much 3 main panel types that I have come across and the others are branches off them.

TN Pannels

Twisted Nematic panels have excellent response times varying between 1ms and 5ms which make them ideal for fast paced gaming like first person shooters. They're relatively cheap to make however they come at the cost of viewing angles, colour reproduction and contrast which makes them a poor monitor for video and picture editing.

VA Pannels

Vertical alignment panels are like the middle between the two ends of the spectrum (IPS and TN). They have better contrast which gives you better blacks, meaning they are good for movies in pitch darkness but some can have a little input lag which doesn't put them as first choice for first person shooters but they aren't as bad as IPS panels They can also have problems with colour shifting, where colours shift dramatically from different viewing angles. I've found this to happen at a movement of only 40-50 degrees which can get annoying. They're similarly priced to TN panels and offer the better picture quality but they're not as good as IPS panels.

IPS Panels

In plane switching is like the holy grail of monitors for photo and video work. They're often available in huge screen sizes and have better colour reproduction, viewing angles and colour accuracy at the down fall of response time where it can be anywhere up to 15-20ms which is horrible for fast paced gaming. Up until a little while ago, IPS panels were rather expensive but recently there have been models released, particularly by LG that cost about the same as a VA or TN panel however I don't know personally how good they really are. There's quite a few different IPS panel types that all have slightly different construction types including the Super IPS that Samsung made - apparently it had better brightness and viewing angles but I haven't seen it for myself. IPS panels are normally also available at higher resolutions and different ratios such as 16:10 to accommodate say a full A4 page for a magazine editor.

Hopefully this answered your questions :)

There's pretty much 3 main panel types that I have come across and the others are branches off them. TN Pannels Twisted Nematic panels have excellent response times varying between 1ms and 5ms which make them ideal for fast paced gaming like first person shooters. They're relatively cheap to make however they come at the cost of viewing angles' date=' colour reproduction and contrast which makes them a poor monitor for video and picture editing. [b']VA Pannels Vertical alignment panels are like the middle between the two ends of the spectrum (IPS and TN). They have better contrast which gives you better blacks, meaning they are good for movies in pitch darkness but some can have a little input lag which doesn't put them as first choice for first person shooters but they aren't as bad as IPS panels They can also have problems with colour shifting, where colours shift dramatically from different viewing angles. I've found this to happen at a movement of only 40-50 degrees which can get annoying. They're similarly priced to TN panels and offer the better picture quality but they're not as good as IPS panels. IPS Panels In plane switching is like the holy grail of monitors for photo and video work. They're often available in huge screen sizes and have better colour reproduction, viewing angles and colour accuracy at the down fall of response time where it can be anywhere up to 15-20ms which is horrible for fast paced gaming. Up until a little while ago, IPS panels were rather expensive but recently there have been models released, particularly by LG that cost about the same as a VA or TN panel however I don't know personally how good they really are. There's quite a few different IPS panel types that all have slightly different construction types including the Super IPS that Samsung made - apparently it had better brightness and viewing angles but I haven't seen it for myself. IPS panels are normally also available at higher resolutions and different ratios such as 16:10 to accommodate say a full A4 page for a magazine editor. Hopefully this answered your questions :)

Thanks! this is my monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236099 How can I tell what type of panel it has?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

There's pretty much 3 main panel types that I have come across and the others are branches off them. TN Pannels Twisted Nematic panels have excellent response times varying between 1ms and 5ms which make them ideal for fast paced gaming like first person shooters. They're relatively cheap to make however they come at the cost of viewing angles' date=' colour reproduction and contrast which makes them a poor monitor for video and picture editing. [b']VA Pannels Vertical alignment panels are like the middle between the two ends of the spectrum (IPS and TN). They have better contrast which gives you better blacks, meaning they are good for movies in pitch darkness but some can have a little input lag which doesn't put them as first choice for first person shooters but they aren't as bad as IPS panels They can also have problems with colour shifting, where colours shift dramatically from different viewing angles. I've found this to happen at a movement of only 40-50 degrees which can get annoying. They're similarly priced to TN panels and offer the better picture quality but they're not as good as IPS panels. IPS Panels In plane switching is like the holy grail of monitors for photo and video work. They're often available in huge screen sizes and have better colour reproduction, viewing angles and colour accuracy at the down fall of response time where it can be anywhere up to 15-20ms which is horrible for fast paced gaming. Up until a little while ago, IPS panels were rather expensive but recently there have been models released, particularly by LG that cost about the same as a VA or TN panel however I don't know personally how good they really are. There's quite a few different IPS panel types that all have slightly different construction types including the Super IPS that Samsung made - apparently it had better brightness and viewing angles but I haven't seen it for myself. IPS panels are normally also available at higher resolutions and different ratios such as 16:10 to accommodate say a full A4 page for a magazine editor. Hopefully this answered your questions :)

Thanks! this is my monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236099 How can I tell what type of panel it has?

I can't tell you with complete confidence but looking at its relatives (MS246H) I would say TN. Normally It'll be listed in the specs for it..

In general, if it doesn't specify it's probably a TN panel.