Focused Flow and Pull Setups

MdX MaxX

It's been shown how fans like the Silverstone AP121 and the Noctua NH-F12 have very directed air streams.

I'm just wondering whether this really affects a cooler in a pull configuration? Does it matter where the air goes once it's through the fan? It's already been pulled through the heatsink. Or does that column of air also extend to the other side of the fan and allow the fan to pull air in a very focused manner?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

The performance difference between a directional and non-directional stream will be minimal. The main thing you want to look for is the seal between the fans and the heatsink/radiator your pulling the air through. more suction=more cooling efficiency!

Hope this helps!

As Wrefur said make little difference, but there is sound to consider noctua fans are made to be more silent then another fan that has the ability to go at the same speed they are not the only fan like this they are just the ones i picked as an example.

A *SUPER* Moderator? :O *Bows down.

The more directional the better even if it's on pull usually.

A "pressure" optimized fan will perform better even in a pull config then a non optomized one, like a standard fan. But, as Wrefur mentions, the fit needs to be really good. Best bet, run in a Push config if at all possible.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

But as Wrefur said, the seal between the fan and rad is what you want to focus on the most.

Focused flow fans on heat sinks and rads will perform a little better as they will generate a bit more static pressure and the majority of the air will be forced through the cooler. But like others have said if you don't have the seal between the rad and the fans they wont generate any pressure because all the heat will go out the gaps and the radiator will be a little more than a passive rad.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was interested because Linus implied there's no significant difference between pull and push temperatures, but I figured the airflow through the rad must be different...

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro