gtx 970 vs gtx 980

ProjectX01

so i cant choose between the two video cards. but is there really a huge performance gap between the two?

not really, for the price getting two 970s would be a good option. It's wayy more performance for almost the same price as a 980

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

The performance difference is really not that much, 970 offer much better price/performance than 980. 

This is the performance difference between a 970 and 980:

Is it worth it to spend double on a 980? Probably not unless you plan to do triple SLI in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The 980 isn't double the cost.

970 after tax is about 400

980 is 600

Is it worth it?

IMO if you have a 1440p display then get the 980. If you have a 1080p display get the 970. 

970 hast great sli scaling. As long as the Op uses HD displays he/she will be fine.

Too much hate in the morning. I will come back in the afternoon ;)

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

This is the performance difference between a 970 and 980:

Is it worth it to spend double on a 980? Probably not unless you plan to do triple SLI in the future.

i see overclocking has made the 2 nearly identical. what brand would you suggest? one thats been OC out of the box? or one that's not?

i see overclocking has made the 2 nearly identical. what brand would you suggest? one thats been OC out of the box? or one that's not?

You can save yourself the extra $$$ and OC yourself ;). Just a thought. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Buy any 970 and overclock it yourself, they are very good at overclocking even if they arent factory overclocked :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can save yourself the extra $$$ and OC yourself ;). Just a thought. :)

Buy any 970 and overclock it yourself, they are very good at overclocking even if they arent factory overclocked :)

will it shorten the lifespan of the 970? i know if it's properly cooled it wont affect it too much. but maybe in the long run?

will it shorten the lifespan of the 970? i know if it's properly cooled it wont affect it too much. but maybe in the long run?

Well it might last 10 years instead of 15 if you overclock it.

Hopefully you will have replaced it by then so it shouldnt be an issue.

Spoiler

Well it might last 10 years instead of 15 if you overclock it.

Hopefully you will have replaced it by then so it shouldnt be an issue.

i see. ok. thanks! do you guys think that palit is a good brand? im undecided on wether Galaxy GTX 970 EXOC Dual Fan 4gb/256bit ddr5 or

Zotac GTX 970 4gb/256bit ddr5

my build also here's the link to my build. i'm not gonna have much issues with the HDD as i have a lot. but case wise. im thinking on the phatom 530 too. should i spend a bit more for the full tower? or hold out on it?