GTX 680 to GTX 970?

I am considering upgrading my current graphics card from a GTX 680 to a GTX 970. Do you think it is worth it or no? Mostly I like the lower power draw and newer features, but raw performance gains are welcome too.

Thoughts?

Higher overclocks, better stock performance...I'm planning on getting a 970 from EVGA myself actually.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I am considering upgrading my current graphics card from a GTX 680 to a GTX 970. Do you think it is worth it or no? Mostly I like the lower power draw and newer features, but raw performance gains are welcome too.

Thoughts?

Depends. Do you need more performance than you have now? Do you have a >1080p monitor or >60hz refresh?

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

The 970 is worth it totally if you come from a GTX680. Besides all the new features like DSR or MFAA, you will get more performance. And 4GB GDDR5 if you just had a GTX680 with 2GB. The GTX680 performs pretty similar to a GTX770 and the GTX970 is way faster than a GTX770.

So yeah price to performance is right. Features are awesome and since the TDP is so low heat and noise are not even a question at all.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

its a worthy upgrade if you want more performance go for it

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It's not worth it, the 680 is still a good card and unless you plan on upgrading the resolution you play at you're probably going to be fine for another year or two. The 970's extra performance doesn't justify spending another 330$ on it on top of whatever you paid your 680.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

are you unhappy with your current performance?

I'd hold on for another gen. 20nm maxwell should be awesome considering we're yet to see 'big maxwell' (larger die size)

I've got a 680 myself and am considering getting at least one 970.  This article makes me want to buy two as most of my gaming is done at 1440p

Bang for buck on the 970 is absolutely insane and even more so when you toss in a 2nd one.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/1.html

bf4_5760_1080.gif

That said, if you're sticking to 1080p, unless you want to do downsampling, I'd stick with the 680.